Menu

Nm

Drama Llama

1 hour ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Or big brothers would probably work too.

My youngest niece and I finished Ramona Forever yesterday, and she's wanting to read more books about big sisters.  Looking for read alouds, so reading level isn't super important, but Ramona was about right.  

Any suggestions?  

All of the other Ramonas! ♥️

The American Girl series don't necessarily have sisters, but if you stick with the historical ones by Valerie Tripp, you'll find sweet and inspiring reading for a young girl. I would particularly recommend the Samantha, Josefina, and Kit books. Also, the Boxcar children books have older brothers and sisters featured in them.

7 minutes ago, Danae said:

Wait — I just remembered that a baby brother dies in one of the early Betsy Tacy books.  They may not be right for your family right now.

I'm glad you remembered that, I had forgotten about that part.

She may think it's too babyish at first, but for a good (short) story, some giggles, and the cutest and most charming standard poodle ever, try Madeline L'Engle's The Other Dog. It's a picture book, but I would think a seven year old would enjoy it. The poodle is highly jealous of all the attention the new baby gets, but they work things out.

My olders (when they were that age) still enjoyed the little critter and baby sister books.  (especially the "baby sister says "no". - when dudeling is being difficult, 1dd will still repeat "baby brother say's no" - and she's in her 30s and he's in his teens.)

The New baby

Baby sister says "no"

Just me and my little sister

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, KSera said:

What about The Penderwicks? The baby is 4 for most of the series, but starts as a baby in the first one. My kids love those and say the sibling dynamics are spot on.

I loved the Penderwicks but did not remember she was so young in the first.

• Like 2

Did one of the Clementine books introduce a baby sibling? I think so, but it's been awhile. Those books kinda reminded me of Ramona.

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clementine_(series)#:~:text=6 External links-,Premise,of cooperation and characteristic imperfections.  

Either Clementine and the Family Meeting, Completely Clementine, or both??

Edited by Karen A
link
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

I loved the Penderwicks but did not remember she was so young in the first.

28 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, I'm quite sure she was four in the first book.

You guys could be right. One of my Penderwicks loving kids is the one who told me she starts out as a baby in the first book, but she may have misremembered. I’ll ask my others.

• Like 1

There’s a really cute one in the Frances series.  It is a picture book but my kids liked them still at age seven.

In Five Children and It there is a baby called the Lamb who they often take care of and it’s kind of cute.  He generally adds to the chaos. There may be a scene in the sequel with a desert island that has some racist overtones. Its not a central theme or anything just a reflection of the times in the language used kind of thing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSera said:

You guys could be right. One of my Penderwicks loving kids is the one who told me she starts out as a baby in the first book, but she may have misremembered. I’ll ask my others.

No. She's at least a toddler. She won't go out of the house without her butterfly wings on.

• Like 2

This is off-sides, but what about Socks, by Beverly Cleary? It's about sibling experiences from the perspective of a cat, which I think takes the pressure off of the negative feelings that can arise. Of course, the cat is a bit selfish and immature - he's a cat!  It gives a child reader distance but provides a vocabulary to understand feelings. It's also just a great story. 

Edited by elroisees
Spelling
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Karen A said:

Did one of the Clementine books introduce a baby sibling? I think so, but it's been awhile. Those books kinda reminded me of Ramona.

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clementine_(series)#:~:text=6 External links-,Premise,of cooperation and characteristic imperfections.  

Either Clementine and the Family Meeting, Completely Clementine, or both??

The baby is announced in Clementine and the Family mEeting, anticipated in the next book and I think born at the end of Completely Clementine. -- However Completely Clementine is the end of a 7 book series that will be much more satisfying if you start from the first book Clementine.

• Like 1

The Year of the Baby. It's actually the *second* Anna Wang novel, but it shouldn't be crucial to read the first.

The Birchbark House has a baby, but I believe the baby dies.

Two Naomis, one of the Naomis has a five year old sister, but not a *baby* sister.