Menu

New TGTB math?

Janeway

My daughter likes how pretty it is. We use Singapore Math. She is a reluctant learner…but not delayed. She is capable, she just would rather play and such. Any opinions on this program? She needs highly interactive.

Edited by Janeway

8 hours ago, desertflower said:

Which level are you talking about? It may be too new for a review. I think K just came out.  1 - 5 is expected to be out next month. 

I figure no one has actually used the program, but perhaps some have looked over the samples and formed an opinion.

1 hour ago, Janeway said:

I figure no one has actually used the program, but perhaps some have looked over the samples and formed an opinion.

Mind linking it up? I remember seeing the old one and wasn't impressed. But I haven't seen the new one. 

Edited by Not_a_Number

We used the k sample over our break as review. If you liked the old version and the G&B style it will be a good fit. 

I felt that the new version seems to be more at grade level than the previous version which seemed a bit below level. There also seemed to be less fluff and it seemed more focused on core concepts. 

While my son liked the sample, I prefer to use a mastery curriculum. We started Miquon two weeks and so far we are both loving it. Very interactive, especially with the diary. Moving beyond the page math was another top contender, but my budget was low this year. 

On 7/11/2021 at 8:04 AM, AnneGG said:

We used the k sample over our break as review. If you liked the old version and the G&B style it will be a good fit. 

I felt that the new version seems to be more at grade level than the previous version which seemed a bit below level. There also seemed to be less fluff and it seemed more focused on core concepts. 

While my son liked the sample, I prefer to use a mastery curriculum. We started Miquon two weeks and so far we are both loving it. Very interactive, especially with the diary. Moving beyond the page math was another top contender, but my budget was low this year. 

My daughter loves the sample, but I did not like the old version at all. And I knew if we tried to do the old version, she would quickly tire of the program.

On 7/7/2021 at 11:30 AM, cbollin said:

Ah-ha. I see I didn't answer this, so I just took a look. 

Personally, I wouldn't use this. It seems to have the same issue as the old version, which is that it tried to pack in everything but the kitchen sink and didn't go deeply into anything. I prefer a much more mastery-based approach than this. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Personally, I wouldn't use this. It seems to have the same issue as the old version, which is that it tried to pack in everything but the kitchen sink and didn't go deeply into anything. I prefer a much more mastery-based approach than this. 

Thank you!! I really appreciate your help! My daughter wants to do it so much, because well, she gives me grief a little bit when it comes to school. She wants to play school but not do school. My first grader loves to actually do his school work and get ahead and make progress and such.

Just now, Janeway said:

Thank you!! I really appreciate your help! My daughter wants to do it so much, because well, she gives me grief a little bit when it comes to school. She wants to play school but not do school. My first grader loves to actually do his school work and get ahead and make progress and such.

Hmmm, on the other hand, I wouldn't want to take away something your daughter really wants 🙂 . 

Do you know what she loves about it? Do you think you could find something a bit less scattered that she'd like as much, like maybe playing some fun math games? 

25 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I wanted to ask you something also....with my older child only finished Singapore Math through 6A when we went on to Jacob's algebra, I also pulled from Keys to and MEP for various topics. Do you think we did fine? Or do you think we need to go back and actually do 6B? It is the primary US edition.

Edited by Janeway

4 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Hmmm, on the other hand, I wouldn't want to take away something your daughter really wants 🙂 . 

Do you know what she loves about it? Do you think you could find something a bit less scattered that she'd like as much, like maybe playing some fun math games? 

I am thinking of using it with just her but not bothering with using it with the youngest. And at that..just printing some parts of it, not buying the entire thing.

• Like 1

Just now, Janeway said:

I wanted to ask you something also....with my older child only finished Singapore Math through 6A when we went on to Jacob's algebra, I also pulled from Keys to and MEP for various topics. Do you think we did fine? Or do you think we need to go back and actually do 6B? It is the primary US edition.

Is it this one? 

https://shop.singaporemath.com/index.php/product/primary-mathematics-textbook-6b-std-ed/

13 minutes ago, Janeway said:

We have already covered everything in Standards 6B. I even pulled up the sample pages and asked him if he knew them and he was able to quickly and easily solve without even thinking about it.

From the "been there" perspective:  my oldest did 6A and 6B (original US edition version).  6B was not needed to be ready to start an algebra program.  It was more of advanced problems with previous info and topics that would be covered again in algebra.   in our case, student was near end of the school year so we used 6B to finish our that school year and start new book/publisher in the year after that.  I do not think doing 6B is what made her become a math major (as one of her degrees), if you know what I mean. Using 6B didn't hurt her either. but it was not required to continue on.

no opinion on tgtb. haven't used it.

• Like 2