Menu

If you had to keep either an extra washer or dryer

crazyforlatin

I have a new GE washer and dryer that may be more complicated to fix on our own than our previous Whirlpool of 18 years. It has lights and buttons whereas the Whirlpool has knobs. Dh has fixed the Whirlpool set a few times over the years. We were gifted a new set and now can’t decide if we should dump the old ones, keep both, keep the washer, or keep the dryer. 

Keeping both is the last option because I don’t like clutter in the garage. I’ve had both sets for almost one year due to indecision.

It’s always that one thing we dump that we eventually need. 

From your experience, is it the dryer or washer that breaks down faster? For newer models, which one is a harder machine to fix? Washer or dryer?  And if you had to choose one to keep as a backup what would it be? 

8 minutes ago, Katy said:

I'd get rid of both because I could afford a new one if I needed it, and because I usually know someone who could use them, and if not Habitat for Humanity's ReStore is always taking them.

Actually I should look into that before having the garbage company pick it up. 

I would get rid of both because I am an extreme declutterer, but if you insist on keeping one as a spare, I would keep the washer. Dryers are much easier to repair. One of my sons and I recently repaired our gas dryer when it died on a Friday night, and we did not know what we were doing. I just couldn't find anyone with a gas dryer in stock and was facing a week with four teenagers in the house and no dryer. So we started taking it apart, and watching youtube videos, and eventually we fixed it. We were super proud of ourselves, but it would have been an easy fix if we'd started out with any idea what we were doing. There's just not much inside a dryer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having worked on both of ours, the dryer is almost always easier to fix than the washer. There are fewer parts, and once you pull the cover and the drum, they are easier to access. It is also easier to go without a dryer. We have used drying racks around the house when we have waited on parts to come in for the dryer…no need to hand wash or find a laundromat like with a washer.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pinball said:

I was thinking keep the dryer bc it is just a plug (assuming it is electric) that you can plug in wherever you have the appropriate voltage outlet vs the washing which needs a water hookup as well as power

We’re a divided house - I wanted to keep the dryer because handwashing is not really an issue for me. I have to handwash certain items anyway. Dh thinks a washer is more useful because his thought process is he was able to fix the previous dryer easily, so it can’t be that different with the new dryer.

My inner clutter free self wants to get rid of both, but I have no idea how reliable GE is versus Whirlpool. 

I going to be the one with the differing opinion.  I would keep the dryer, assuming you could use both dryers.  Drying seems to take so much longer than washing.  I often have wet, clean clothes waiting for the dryer because the previous load was still a bit damp.  
However, if that’s not an option, I would donate or sell the old set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you saying you'd keep the old set but not *use* them?? That's weird. Like @athena1277 I would keep the 2nd dryer for sure, assuming you're actively using it. I often split loads to dry. Are you not happy with the new GE pair? If you're only using those and you're happy, then I don't see why you'd keep the old set.

Fwiw, I have a set in my main laundry room and the old set in the basement for extra scroungy stuff. If people come to stay and have fragranced clothes to wash, they get sent to the basement.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I want an extra dishwasher. Out in the garage for sneakers and bird feeders. 

Mind blown. Dishwasher + sneakers is a thing?  Tell me more, please.  This works?

Sorry to hijack, just … gotta know about this.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 3

I want an extra dishwasher. Out in the garage for sneakers and bird feeders. 

You can put sneakers in the dishwasher?  I have never heard of this.  

As for laundry machines, for us it’s been the washer that goes first. But we have made a conscious decision to always buy the most basic - thus most easy to DIY repairs - models available. The biggest tip I would ever give to something would be to make sure your dryer has an equal or larger capacity than your dryer. I’ve heard several stories of people excited to purchase a large capacity washer then forget that their dryer will need to be able to also hold that larger load. 

• Like 2

Washer. More issues IME. I would love to have room for an extra washer. I’d probably put the occasional grungier loads in there if I had a second one. 

Having had several broken appliances over the past few years and especially this past year, and experienced not only long waits for service, but delays in getting parts, I might even keep both for a while if I could, but washer over dryer. Line drying works for most things in most circumstances, barring something like large family in rainy climate. 

Edited by Penelope
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

IME washers have more issues than dryers. I'd keep the washer because of that, and because in a pinch I could improvise plenty of ways to hang clothes to dry.

My first set was a 1987 Maytag washer and dryer. The dryer is still going strong, with a few minor repairs. We're on our 4th washer and it's had a number of repairs. 

• Like 1

If you have the room, I would keep the washer.  Do you have animals or really dirty, nasty clothes( mud, oil, hay covered, etc)? If so, you have a washer for that.  

I have two washers.  A nice Samsung and a black stone wringer washer.  The wringer washer is my animal and really dirty washer.  For me, I love the setup and it works for me. 

• Like 1

We are still using our original dryer, a 26 year old Kenmore.  We are on our third washer.  If you want to keep only one extra machine, I'd keep the washer.  But if you have room for two laundry areas, some people find that helpful for the reasons itsheresomewhere mentioned.  

• Like 1