Menu

Art of Problem Solving vs dimensions vs Jacobs, Dolciani

Janeway

I own Dolciani, Jacob's, and Foerster's for algebra 1. We already started Jacob's Algebra while finishing up the Singapore Math primary series. I do not own Art of Problem Solving or Dimensions. I am wondering if I should just go with what I already own or if I should consider AoPs pre-algebra or maybe even Dimensions? I know I purchased (and I may have loaned out, cannot find) Counting and Probability years ago and did not care for it so the AoPs might not work out. But I wonder if we are missing something by not trying the preAlgebra (missing something in the way one might miss dessert).

I homeschool twins. One did pre-algebra with AOPS, and one used Math Mammoth 7. We're now in Forester's for Algebra 1 and they're both doing beautifully. I don't think AOPS was magical for pre-algebra, especially if you've got a bunch of other options that you would be happy with. 

• Like 2

Just now, craftyerin said:

I homeschool twins. One did pre-algebra with AOPS, and one used Math Mammoth 7. We're now in Forester's for Algebra 1 and they're both doing beautifully. I don't think AOPS was magical for pre-algebra, especially if you've got a bunch of other options that you would be happy with. 

Actually, I'd love to hear about this, if you don't mind me asking. Was there any difference in preparation at all? Pros and cons to each program? 

• Like 1

For the record, @Janeway, I didn't do ANY prealgebra with DD8 at all -- we jumped straight into algebra. We didn't do a program, because we don't do that, but we've started pulling problem from the AoPS Introduction to Algebra book recently, and she can definitely do the Review and Challenge problems I've thrown at her so far. We've only given ones from Chapters 2 and 3 so far, but we haven't been having any issue at all. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 7:25 AM, Not_a_Number said:

Actually, I'd love to hear about this, if you don't mind me asking. Was there any difference in preparation at all? Pros and cons to each program? 

Difference in preparation meaning was one more or less prepared for algebra 1? No. They both went into pre-algebra with strong elementary math skills, and both did great with their individual pre-a programs. 

Pros/cons were what you'd hear about any level of AOPS and MM. AOPS is great for challenge and out of the box thinking & approaches to problem solving, but light on practice. He could have done more practice in alcumus, but it was light on what they required, and convincing him to go back and do more to shore up skills was an uphill battle. AOPS tested his frustration tolerance from time to time, and we had more math meltdowns from him than from his sister, despite them both being very strong math students. Pros for MM include price and ease of use. It's thorough. No frills. She excelled with it, and went into algebra well prepared with less drama than I got from her brother. 

Edited by craftyerin
remove unnecessary comma, although there are probably more
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, craftyerin said:

Difference in preparation meaning was one more or less prepared for algebra 1? No. They both went into pre-algebra with strong elementary math skills, and, both did great with their individual pre-a programs. 

Pros/cons were what you'd hear about any level of AOPS and MM. AOPS is great for challenge and out of the box thinking & approaches to problem solving, but light on practice. He could have done more practice in alcumus, but it was light on what they required, and convincing him to go back and do more to shore up skills was an uphill battle. AOPS tested his frustration tolerance from time to time, and we had more math meltdowns from him than from his sister, despite them both being very strong math students. Pros for MM include price and ease of use. It's thorough. No frills. She excelled with it, and went into algebra well prepared with less drama than I got from her brother. 

I guess I'd be curious whether there were any noticeable differences later 🙂 . I'm always curious about that. 

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I guess I'd be curious whether there were any noticeable differences later 🙂 . I'm always curious about that. 

We finished 7th grade and took a summer break a little over halfway though Forester's, and they've both sailed through. They had the same math programs through elementary up until pre-algebra. I can't imagine that their different pre-algebra programs would make a difference past this point? But I guess we'll see!

• Like 1

Just now, craftyerin said:

We finished 7th grade and took a summer break a little over halfway though Forester's, and they've both sailed through. They had the same math programs through elementary up until pre-algebra. I can't imagine that their different pre-algebra programs would make a difference past this point? But I guess we'll see!

Yeah, that's probably not enough of a difference to notice later! If you ever notice anything, I'd be curious, though. 

• Like 1

We did Primary Math with all my kids. Then one did Jacob's, one did AOPS, and one did Dimensions. I like all of them and think they are all great programs. Each of my kids has been successfully with their chosen program. It was really just about their preferences. If what you have is working then there is no reason to change.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 12:38 AM, Plagefille said:

We did Primary Math with all my kids. Then one did Jacob's, one did AOPS, and one did Dimensions. I like all of them and think they are all great programs. Each of my kids has been successfully with their chosen program. It was really just about their preferences. If what you have is working then there is no reason to change.

He seems to love Jacobs. He loves the little comic thing at the beginning of each lesson. 

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, Researchmama1 said:

Hi Plagefille-

I’m just finishing primary math US Ed with my oldest. Did you go straight to Jacob’s elementary algebra with one of your kids?

I’m considering that vs Dimensions…

And what are you doing following that level?  

Thanks! 

My oldest son did Beast Academy, straight into Jacobs.  He's an excellent math student, not prone to overwhelm...but that overwhelm him a bit.  I learned that Pre-Algebra isn't so much about new learning new topics, but about learning to transition to high school style math.  Granted, he was only in 6th grade, but I never skipped Pre-A again.

My daughter did Math Mammoth 7 into Jacobs in 9th grade just fine.  My next son went Beast to AOPS Pre-A to Jacobs in 7th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right now I have a 6th grader finishing up Dimensions 7, and a 4th grader starting chapter 5 of AOPS pre algebra. Both did Primary Math, the older ending with 5 and the younger doing most of 6 until we just couldn’t do one more review.

The older brother has been sailing through Dimensions—workload and difficulty are definitely a jump from Primary, but it’s gradual. 

Younger, more naturally mathy brother, chose AOPs. He loved the first few chapters of AOPS, but the solving linear equations chapters moved too quickly for him (this kid hates writing his work, so that didn’t help!), so we are reviewing simplifying expressions and solving simple equations with College of The Redwoods pre Algebra. We’re probably going to continue introducing a topic with AOPS and adding extra practice from COTR before moving on to AOPS’ more challenging exercises. I think we’re hitting a little math wall of abstraction vs work capacity and developmental level of a 10 yo boy. Hopefully after a little summer downtime working leisurely through our remaining Beast Academy books will help. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2022 at 11:07 AM, gradchica said:

Right now I have a 6th grader finishing up Dimensions 7, and a 4th grader starting chapter 5 of AOPS pre algebra. Both did Primary Math, the older ending with 5 and the younger doing most of 6 until we just couldn’t do one more review.

The older brother has been sailing through Dimensions—workload and difficulty are definitely a jump from Primary, but it’s gradual. 

Younger, more naturally mathy brother, chose AOPs. He loved the first few chapters of AOPS, but the solving linear equations chapters moved too quickly for him (this kid hates writing his work, so that didn’t help!), so we are reviewing simplifying expressions and solving simple equations with College of The Redwoods pre Algebra. We’re probably going to continue introducing a topic with AOPS and adding extra practice from COTR before moving on to AOPS’ more challenging exercises. I think we’re hitting a little math wall of abstraction vs work capacity and developmental level of a 10 yo boy. Hopefully after a little summer downtime working leisurely through our remaining Beast Academy books will help. 

Thank you so much, this is very helpful! 

On 4/5/2022 at 3:54 PM, Coco_Clark said:

My oldest son did Beast Academy, straight into Jacobs.  He's an excellent math student, not prone to overwhelm...but that overwhelm him a bit.  I learned that Pre-Algebra isn't so much about new learning new topics, but about learning to transition to high school style math.  Granted, he was only in 6th grade, but I never skipped Pre-A again.

My daughter did Math Mammoth 7 into Jacobs in 9th grade just fine.  My next son went Beast to AOPS Pre-A to Jacobs in 7th.

What are your children’s ages now? What track did they take in high school?

On 4/8/2022 at 9:26 PM, Researchmama1 said:

What are your children’s ages now? What track did they take in high school?

My oldest son did Jacobs Algebra in 6th and half of 7th.  He then spent the rest of 7th shoring things up in various ways and paying with Patty Paper Geometry.  Then in 8th he did Jacobs Geometry.  Now he's in 9th and I'm outsourcing an Alg. 2 class because he needed a teacher better at math than him 😂.  She will continue with him for PreCal/Trig and then he will go to the community college.

My daughter and next oldest do  did Math Mammoth 7 in 8th grade, and AOPS in 6th last year.  They are both doing Jacobs this year as 9th/7th graders.