Menu

Would you buy couches on overstock?

El...

I promise, I'm a serious homeschooler and read the serious boards!  I buy way too many books because of you people.  However, almost all my posts are over here in the chat board, because you guys are such a font of good information!  So help me buy sofas, please. 

I've found what I like, and I plan to buy two of them.  I've measured.  I've read a bajillion reviews on multiple sites. The couches are also sold at Costco, but would cost 1000 more (!!) and I'd have to buy a membership.  Both Costco and overstock offer free shipping.

Would you, have you, bought major items on overstock?  Or would you spend a lot more for the security of buying from a real storefront?

I don’t think I could buy a couch without sitting on it first, so I wouldn’t. There are vast differences in the quality of materials between what is sold at one price point vs. another. Couches can have the same model name and number and appear identical from a visual standpoint yet have a different quality of materials internally as well as a different quality of fabric. If the price difference is that big, I would expect there to be a reason for the difference. It’s up to you to decide if the difference is important to you.

• Like 6

You definitely want to butt test. I never get carded walking into Costco and I'm not a member. I just try to look like I know what I'm doing. :biggrin: So if you like them when you butt test, sure buy from Overstock. You'd do that even if you were a Costco member.

• Like 2

I would.  Well, I’d read reviews and check for a good return policy, but you’ve done your research, so I think I would.

I have also bought a couch online, from Poly and Bark.  Love it.

So… which couch?  Link?  Dying to see!  😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are actively furniture shopping right now, including for a couch, and I can’t imagine not sitting on something before purchasing. I’m guessing you’ve read all of the details of how the couch is constructed and the materials used inside and out? 

• Like 2

Can you post a link?  Are they really the same at Costco. 

Yep I would totally buy it.  We bought a sectional online last summer and it was 100% fine.  I pretty much by all my furniture online without testing it first.  Never had a problem.  Even done it for mattresses.  

• Like 2

It's this one, with a matching loveseat, in blue. The reviews that were critical generally mentioned things we like - firmness, upright posture, teal color in certain light, etc. I love the shape. 

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Abbyson-Colton-Top-Grain-Leather-Sofa/27649576/product.html

It looks identical to the one at Costco called Zamora. They are made by Abbyson. 

I don't know. They aren't in stores so I can't sit on them. It's a big risk. 

I'm going to sleep on the idea. My coupon will expire, but there are always coupons.

DH is looking at the IKEA website. 😅

• Like 2

I would! I bought a sofa from Costco a few years back and because we don’t have a Costco locally, I ordered it sight unseen. It has been a great sofa and I’m so glad we ordered! We also don’t have a ton of furniture stores available, so we do what we have to do. 

• Like 1

I couldn't bring myself to buy a sofa without a butt test. I paid more for a Joybird mostly because they had a showroom nearby and I could go lounge on absolutely every single one and see what the underneath construction looked like. The sales guy was clearly like, you are nuts, lady, but I have zero regrets.

But I'm picky about sofas.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I mean, I've bought most of my furniture off of craigslist, so overstock sounds pretty good to me.  

Craigslist and marketplace are what we've mostly done in the past, but now we won't have to move again soon and bought a house...it's making every decision momentous! 

• Like 2

It looks great!  Love the color, and a teal look would be my choice, too.

What’s the return policy at Overstock?  That would be my deciding factor after reading everything possible.

Our recent online P&B purchase had me very anxious, but it turned out perfectly.  

• Like 1

I've bought furniture from Overstock, including a couch for my daughter's apartment. She loves it, and at the time (last August), nearly everyone was out of stock or had extreme shipping delays on furniture. She had a weekend to furnish an apartment in a city a 16 hours' drive from us, and Overstock delivered the couch in something like 2 days. It was shockingly fast delivery for something as big as a couch. I've been furnishing a teen boy's room and a basement this summer mostly from Wayfair and Overstock, and I have no complaints. Hayneedle? I have complaints. Just don't bother with Hayneedle. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd look closely at the measurements - and figure out what is actually comfortable for sitting.  construction method is very important to me. Costco furniture is hit or miss to me, and while my dd has bought stuff there that has worked for her, I haven't.  (I've bought some office chairs - and I never will again.  words can't adequately express how much I detest pleather. I wouldn't even take it for free.)  

Sofa's come in so many different sizes.  I bought living room chairs without sitting on them - and they're too big for me, (my feet don't touch the floor) - but dh likes them.  I wouldn't order them again.   so measure, especially seat depth (how far from front to the back of the seating surface of the sofa) and height.

If you can find someone who carries it in their store - I'd try it.  I have a sofa coming next week (finally) - I went around to furniture stores and found a sofa, then went looking for better deals.  yeah, $1000 savings after tax and shipping is worth it to me.  (I wouldn't have gotten it any faster by ordering it from the local overpriced store.).   I also know the brand and construction style is very reliable.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I'd never buy a sofa from IKEA.  My mom had a loveseat from there - it was hideously uncomfortable.  

It really varies. Again, I wouldn't buy without sitting. We have one comfortable IKEA sofa bed and two comfortable chairs. I've sat on others that weren't. 

I've never sat on an Ikea sofa that was comfortable. They're all terrible. But I've been on many other Ikea items that are great, including upholstered chairs and beds. And we have a futon thingy from Ikea that is great. Like, I wouldn't want it as a traditional sofa, but for what I have it for, I like it a lot.

I feel like sofas are somehow extra weird. They are much harder to get right than any other piece of furniture. And given how long you want them to last and how much they cost, I've had to learn to treat them differently.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, elroisees said:

It's this one, with a matching loveseat, in blue. The reviews that were critical generally mentioned things we like - firmness, upright posture, teal color in certain light, etc. I love the shape. 

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Abbyson-Colton-Top-Grain-Leather-Sofa/27649576/product.html

It looks identical to the one at Costco called Zamora. They are made by Abbyson. 

I don't know. They aren't in stores so I can't sit on them. It's a big risk. 

I'm going to sleep on the idea. My coupon will expire, but there are always coupons.

DH is looking at the IKEA website. 😅

I’ve done a lot of furniture shopping over the past several months. I’m notorious for being furniture indecisive. I looked at both couches. Here are my observations, many of which you’ve probably already made: 

Overstock:

assembly required - No way am I putting a couch together- you need to find out what this means. Does it mean attaching the legs & leveling the piece? Does it mean attaching the back to the bottom (yes, some deliver to home upholstered pieces are like that). Do you have the needed tools, know how and patience to do what is needed? 

high density foam - go to a store that sells foam, like Joanne’s, and see what this feels like. FYI - it isn’t the most resilient foam as far as maintaining shape. There will eventually be butt prints. 

cushioned back & arms - with what? How durable is it? 

wood - there is conflicting information in the description. Is it kiln dried hardwood, plywood or pine? What materials are used where? 

Attached cushions - this means you can’t rotate or turn them to distribute wear - see butt prints above. The cushy part of the head rest will gets indents and the entire back cushion will get pulled down and forward as people sit down. This will stress the attachment point. Overall the seams where they are attached, both top and bottom, get a lot of stress and often tear in my personal experience.

leather - find a piece of top grain leather - try Joanne’s again, maybe in the jewelry section. Rake your fingernail across it to see what it looks like & if you’ll like that look because that’s eventually what you will have. All leather shows wear, just at different stress points. This tier of leather is used on handbags, so most people can get a sense of what it will look like. 

leather match - the sides, front rail and back are made of vinyl, only seats and arms are the leather. The vinyl will likely show less wear than the leather, but it will also tear more easily, which may affect the cushion attachment points and overall durability.

color - that navy does look teal to me, FWIW. Can you ask for a swatch? 

comfort - cushions that style pitch my head & neck forward uncomfortably. I think of them more as headrests than cushions.  I’m 5’7.” This will vary by person. 

Why they are different names & Costco differences: the descriptions of the seat cushions are different between overstock and Costco. The Costco description is higher quality in that the foam is slightly firmer and has a  fiber blend topping (more comfortable to me, personally). Costco states what the arms & back are filled with. The overstock couch may or may not have the same filling. The Costco price includes in home delivery and set up - no assembly required. The cushions and the delivery & set up reasonably account for the price difference. 

Overall, it looks like it’s probably a low to mid range piece from both cost and durability standpoint. Those usually last 5-7 years in our house, just for a frame of reference. I’m sitting on a similarly constructed piece now, minus the leather/vinyl and we are waiting for a higher quality replacement that we ordered. 

You’ll have to let us know what you decide & if you get it, post pictures! I’m always looking for style inspiration. 

ETA:  Costco has instructions on how to order a swatch from the manufacturer. If you do that, ask if the material is the same on both pieces. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Farrar said:

I couldn't bring myself to buy a sofa without a butt test. I paid more for a Joybird mostly because they had a showroom nearby and I could go lounge on absolutely every single one and see what the underneath construction looked like. The sales guy was clearly like, you are nuts, lady, but I have zero regrets.

But I'm picky about sofas.

I used to get Joybird ads on FB. The sofas are so cool and always look like they should be in a NYC loft with brick walls and high ceilings. I didn't know until recently they were owned by La-Z-Boy.

• Like 1

I have not bought from Overstock, but we did get our couch from Ikea without ever seeing it in person (no Ikea where I live) and it worked out just fine.  I read a lot of reviews (not just on the Ikea site) and we decided it was worth the chance.  It has been the best couch we have ever had.  So I say go for it!

I like to buy just about everything online and I’d be tempted and have been tempted but with major furniture I haven’t gone for it. I have stuck with places that do delivery and set up. I don’t want to get a piece shipped to me that had some defect and we can’t put it together or doesn’t fit or looks totally different than the picture. If any of that happens I want to be able to have the delivery folks discover the issue and hopefully take it away with them. I am overwhelmed at the idea of having to return major furniture like that. I know it is possible but I just don’t want to deal with that and it is worth it to me to go with traditionally delivery/set up.

• Like 1

I bought a couch from Article and have been very happy with it. I also bought a chair (unsat) from West Elm and am less happy with it. 

For me it comes down to return policy. I'll buy a piece of furniture online if it's easy to return, for sure. If not, I would hesitate. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jrichstad said:

I bought a couch from Article and have been very happy with it. I also bought a chair (unsat) from West Elm and am less happy with it. 

What don’t you like about your West Elm chair? I i’m considering one from there as well.

2 hours ago, KSera said:

What don’t you like about your West Elm chair? I i’m considering one from there as well.

It's not very comfortable. It LOOKS great, I absolutely love looking at it, but it's just like ... not really designed for sitting. I almost returned it, but by the time I made up my mind, it was already covered with dog and cat hair. It's this one: https://www.westelm.com/products/wrh-book-nook-arm-chair-solids-h941/

If I'd paid $150 for it, I'd be super happy and probably have bought another, but, as you can see, I paid significantly more haha. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jrichstad said:

It's not very comfortable. It LOOKS great, I absolutely love looking at it, but it's just like ... not really designed for sitting. I almost returned it, but by the time I made up my mind, it was already covered with dog and cat hair. It's this one: https://www.westelm.com/products/wrh-book-nook-arm-chair-solids-h941/

If I'd paid $150 for it, I'd be super happy and probably have bought another, but, as you can see, I paid significantly more haha. 

I like that chair a lot. That’s a bummer it’s not comfortable.