Menu

How do you pronounce “experiment”?

Teaching3bears

1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

Neither? the e in per, sounds like edge or echo to me. Closer to ex-pare-e(short again)-ment

This is closest to how I say it, but I do a schwa on the i: ex-pare-uh-ment.  If it had an accent mark, the accent would go on PARE.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

This is closest to how I say it, but I do a schwa on the i: ex-pare-uh-ment.  If it had an accent mark, the accent would go on PARE.

I think you worded it better than me - I'm from RI (almost the same neighborhood as CT) and just spent way too long trying to figure out how much schwa I am using on the i. It's definitely not a short i when I say it. In between a short e and short u. 

• Like 1

Study, since my kid is majoring in biology, and the term experiment is usually only used for the short term things done in classes, not several years of tracking turtles or counting frog croaks! 

I fall in the "Ex-speer-uh-ment" category. From the South, but raised by midwestern  Scientist parents. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Kanin said:

Do experiment and experience sound the same? They do for me.

For me, not at all.

Experiment = ex/rhymes with hex - pare/rhymes with care - uh/rhymes with duh - ment/rhymes with sent; emphasis on PARE

Experience = ex/rhymes with hex - peer/rhymes with leer - ee/rhymes with see - ence/rhymes with fence; emphasis on PEER

I puffy heart love how much language varies across regions.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, saraha said:

Ex-Speer-uh-ment

Somewhere between the above one & below note:

15 hours ago, klmama said:

Same here, although, I'm not completely sure that the last syllable is truly "ment."  It may be closer to "mint."  

This is how I say experience/ same as experiment.

4 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Experience = ex/rhymes with hex - peer/rhymes with leer - ee/rhymes with see - ence/rhymes with fence; emphasis on PEER

Plains States born & raised.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, saraha said:

Ex-Speer-uh-ment 

Originally from mi but have lived in several states since childhood 

Oh dang. Upon further examination of our speech pattern, my family agrees this is closer to our pronunciation.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kanin said:

Do experiment and experience sound the same? They do for me.

Sometimes!

I seem to switch back and forth between two pronunciations for experiment.

I also switch back and for between two pronunciations for either: ee-ther and eye-ther.

Edited by maize

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

What would age have to do with it?  Has it changed?  

I had heard ex-pehr-iment most of my life but I have been hearing ex-peer-Iment lately mostly online and from people who are younger than me and who might live somewhere else than me so I did not know if it was generational or regional.  Now I think it is regional.  

Still, language and pronunciation does change over time and there are new words and expressions that come out every few years.  I find it all very interesting.

• Like 1

Differently depending on context, just like how I say "pecan". 🙂

I just said it a few times to see. Seems like PEER when it's a verb and PARE when it's a noun. 🤔🤣

Edited to keep with OP's pronunciation framework.

Edited by Brittany1116
  • Like 1

So I got curious and looked it up.  All the dictionary pronunciations I looked at (which obviously were not all the ones out there) showed the pronunciation as "ex-pear-i (or a schwa)- ment.  There was one blog that quoted a woman in Montana who said that her daughter said "ex-peer-a-ment".  Somehow I trust the dictionary pronunciation guides more even though I realize that language does evolve. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Clarita said:

I said this word three times yesterday and all those times different. (Can I blame that on my public school education? ;p)

I read the thread when it first began but didn't respond until Monday. I kept saying the word a bunch of times to try and figure out how I actually pronounce it. 😂