Menu

Shelf liner struggles

math teacher

I want to use shelf liner on my kitchen shelves, but I have trouble with it moving around in some cabinets. I've tried to foamy stuff with little holes and it moves around pretty bad. So I bought the vinyl kind, and I thought it would work out fine, but it really doesn't. What do I need to use? Tell me what you've got!!

I'm hesitant to post and expose myself as ignorant/gross or whatever but what is the purpose of the shelf liner? When I was first married my mom made a big deal about needing shelf liners and I thought I needed them and fussed and fooled with them until one day I realized I didn't know what they were for. I still don't know. I haven't used them for 20 years and haven't missed them. 

So I do not have any suggestions and sorry to derail your post, but I have actually wondered what I was missing about shelf liners and now seems as good of a time as any to ask. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I'm hesitant to post and expose myself as ignorant/gross or whatever but what is the purpose of the shelf liner? When I was first married my mom made a big deal about needing shelf liners and I thought I needed them and fussed and fooled with them until one day I realized I didn't know what they were for. I still don't know. I haven't used them for 20 years and haven't missed them. 

So I do not have any suggestions and sorry to derail your post, but I have actually wondered what I was missing about shelf liners and now seems as good of a time as any to ask. 

I wanted to respond that I totally agree, but then I remembered that I have found them to be useful when we’ve lived in older places with kitchen cabinets that had been painted too many times and were always slightly sticky or otherwise not able to be as clean as I’d prefer.

In newer cabinets, though, I’m curious too. 

• Like 3

I've thought about ditching it completely. We bought this place a little over 2 years ago, and at the time the thought of putting my stuff on top of their germs just squigged me out. Of course, I cleaned the cabinets first, so I know it was an OCD thing. I feel the same way about bathtubs. Haven't had a bath here-only showers. My dad told me once that I was nasty-nice. 

• Like 1

When we lived in a place with old cabinets that I suspected might have lead paint I put down contact paper. I found the name brand was worth it. 

Otherwise I’d just put on old clothes and wipe them down, first with dish soap & hot water, and then with 10% bleach in water.  Dry carefully, then replace dishes. 

• Like 1

I think there are two purposes...  For us, we've lived in many buildings and homes that are 100+ years old.  (And the cabinets are just as old!)  So putting a liner in covers up cracks or stains and makes it feel fresh and clean.  But, I also know people who put liners in to protect the shelves even if they're new.  It prevents stains and watermarks in wood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From one OCD sufferer to another, I'm telling you that there are absolutely positively no germs remaining on those shelves at this point. Ditch the liners.

Same with the bathtub. Any non-family germs are long gone by now. And I'm sure you cleaned them with disinfectant or bleach. You're good.

image.png.bde8a5c47b42c3a4b5e4af48a7342575.png

• Like 3

I have purchased cheap/inexpensive foam-backed table placemats.  They are easy to cut to size and don't move around at all.  

This first started when my kids outgrew their spiderman placemats - so I cut them up and put in their bathroom drawers - they are easy to  clean up to get rid of the toothpaste gunk, etc.  Then I thought what the heck... so I bought some more flowered and calico designed ones for a dollar at Wal-mart and started using them in my kitchen.  Love em

• Like 4

6 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

6 hours ago, MEmama said:

In newer cabinets, though, I’m curious too. 

It helps keeps minor stains away from the cabinet shelves. My extended family have things like oil and soy sauce bottles in their cabinets and my in-laws feel that its easier to replace a shelf liner periodically than to clean up stains.

If your cabinet shelves are very smooth, they also provide some traction.

Edited by Arcadia
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

It helps keeps minor stains away from the cabinet shelves. My extended family have things like oil and soy sauce bottles in their cabinets and my in-laws feel that its easier to replace a shelf liner periodically than to clean up stains.

Yes I have mine in certain places to contain potential messes. Also if I'm putting things in which have a higher potential of scratching the cabinets (flatware, heavy bowls). Otherwise I actually use a lot of containers to keep things in my cabinets then liners seem redundant (this is my family and our messiness containers are the only way we can have resemblance of organized).

To keep vinyl liners in place I use museum putty.