Menu

If your child took a college class in middle school, then went to b&m high school...

Did the high school “accept” the college credits for purposes of GPA, or placement, or fulfilling requirements, or?? I guess it’s a similar question with CTY or similar classes taken outside school, but I think the case with college classes is more compelling because we don’t get a choice in reporting those.

assume guidance is as incompetent as your imagination permits 🤣

... we never got that the far. The principle basically said, "Why on earth would you enroll her?" (She knew me from our older kids who had more-or-less gone through the high school with massive amounts of dual enrollment).

In our case, they would have accepted the the particular college credit dd had taken at that point b/c it was listed in their DE agreement. The princple also would have accepted some of the high school stuff taken in middle school as placement for higher level classes, but other than a couple of classes, all roads basically led back to DE. 

At that time I was just mostly looking for a live biology class because our DE option was just meh and dd didn't want/ need an AP class and dd had friends at the school.

We were also looking at our state's residential high school at the time, so we knew that dd wouldn't graduate from the local school. At the end of the day it was completely the right choice not to enroll her.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know about that specifically, but I can tell you that I'm already hearing stories about the Covid year and credits being accepted for students going back to high school next year that would have been downright shocking in any other time. I'm thinking some of these schools are going to get better at evaluating outside credits and just generally more accepting. But also that it will likely vary a lot more than in the past.

Also our school requires kids to get approval before taking the outside course. If you took it without their approval, they won’t count. 
And they won’t count anything that doesn’t have a direct equivalent. 

My district is very difficult. Probably an extreme. 

Don't know about how the high school would deal with the college credits, but in just thinking ahead to the far future: when DD applies for college, she'll need to request an official transcript from that past college where she took course(s) while in middle school (and of course, any college courses she may take while in high school), and have that sent to the college(s) to which she is applying. It is critical to send ALL transcripts from past colleges, even if only 1 course was taken there.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

My son just too a CC biological anthro class this year at end of 8th grade as a dual enrollment student. He will enter a B&M High School in Fall. I was told class would not count for credit or GPA.

i was told CC classes taken previous to high school or in summer count for placement but not GPA. Credits are only given if the class has been approved by counselor. 

5 hours ago, Nart said:

My son just too a CC biological anthro class this year at end of 8th grade as a dual enrollment student. He will enter a B&M High School in Fall. I was told class would not count for credit or GPA.

i was told CC classes taken previous to high school or in summer count for placement but not GPA. Credits are only given if the class has been approved by counselor. 

Thanks. Some of these classes (not all) are in their catalogue as part of their “college in high school” offering, so I can’t imagine them saying no.  Either way she will take the classes so I guess it doesn’t much matter what the high school does. 

8 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Thanks. Some of these classes (not all) are in their catalogue as part of their “college in high school” offering, so I can’t imagine them saying no.  Either way she will take the classes so I guess it doesn’t much matter what the high school does. 

Those classes count for credit and factor into their GPA. In our district in CA if they are transferable CC (transfer to UC’s/CSU’s) they are counted as honors classes with a GPA boost (5 points for A instead of 4). Additionally they count for high school credit AND college credit if you end up going to a UC or CSU. Private college often do NOT allow this double dipping. 

The only concern is the grades stay on your college record forever so if your child ends up applying to medical school or law school those grades could factor into their GPA. 

Seems like a good deal overall. The CC classes here are free to dual enrollment students- they just have to pay health fee and student fee and books. I think that anthro class cost $30 plus $35 book rental.

I just looked and a 3 unit class at UC Berkeley would cost $419 each unit plus a course fee of $380. At a Cal State it would be around $1500 for that course. The regular price at a CC is $45 a unit. 

Edited by Nart

11 hours ago, Nart said:

Those classes count for credit and factor into their GPA. In our district in CA if they are transferable CC (transfer to UC’s/CSU’s) they are counted as honors classes with a GPA boost (5 points for A instead of 4). Additionally they count for high school credit AND college credit if you end up going to a UC or CSU. Private college often do NOT allow this double dipping. 

The only concern is the grades stay on your college record forever so if your child ends up applying to medical school or law school those grades could factor into their GPA. 

Seems like a good deal overall. The CC classes here are free to dual enrollment students- they just have to pay health fee and student fee and books. I think that anthro class cost $30 plus $35 book rental.

I just looked and a 3 unit class at UC Berkeley would cost $419 each unit plus a course fee of $380. At a Cal State it would be around $1500 for that course. The regular price at a CC is $45 a unit. 

only the quality at a CC is not the same. At least I hope it’s not the same as UCs. I can honestly say with whatever little we dabbed in this, we sacrificed quality for a paper. I know that given the lack of standardized tests, the paper matters more. But in short you get what you pay for. 

To the OP - if a class is listed in their catalogue, I can’t imagine them not taking it. You are very lucky with your PS given their flexibility.