Menu

Best way to meet new Methodist pastor neighbor

Terabith

So, in the other direction from the monolith, up and down two gigantic hills, there is a Methodist church with a parsonage and a Pokemon Go gym.  The former pastor, who I liked quite a lot and played Pokemon Go with, just moved out and a new pastor moved in.  I'd like to, in a couple of weeks, introduce myself but I can't think of a non socially awkward way to do so.  

"Hi!  I'm your not terribly far away but not terribly close by neighbor.  I'm not a member of your congregation, and I'm not going to be, but do you play Pokemon Go?  Would you like to be friends?  Here, have some lemon bars.  Would you like to meet a friendly orange cat who is not mine?  Or a tuxedo cat who is?  Want to tell me about your theology?"  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 5
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I just wanted to welcome you to the neighbourhood.  Have you moved far? 

So, since it's public record and I'm kind of a stalker, I actually know where she moved from.  I probably shouldn't mention that though.  

• Haha 11

1 minute ago, Danae said:

“Hi, I live down the street and used to play Pokémon Go with [former pastor].  I brought you some lemon bars, welcome to the neighborhood.”

This sounds good.  

It's been a long time since I've interacted with anyone outside of my family....

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

UMC pastors usually are moved every few years, so they get used to settling in pretty fast-and are thrilled when the neighbors introduce themselves. It’s similar to being in the military.

L told me that the former associate pastor of the UMC near our house had become the pastor of a different UMC-because his Pokemon Go ID started appearing in that church. I looked it up and yep!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

So, since it's public record and I'm kind of a stalker, I actually know where she moved from.  I probably shouldn't mention that though.  

If you know what her favorite treat is, you should probably bring that as an offering to her sweet tooth.   Though, of course, dont' mention you didn't "just guess" because you're kind of a stalker.  😜

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

If you know what her favorite treat is, you should probably bring that as an offering to her sweet tooth.   Though, of course, dont' mention you didn't "just guess" because you're kind of a stalker.  😜

Yeah, my public data base search of the local diocese of the Methodist church does not include favorite treats in its info.....  Mores the pity.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

"Hi!  I'm your not terribly far away but not terribly close by neighbor.  I'm not a member of your congregation, and I'm not going to be, but do you play Pokemon Go?  Would you like to be friends?  Here, have some lemon bars.  Would you like to meet a friendly orange cat who is not mine?  Or a tuxedo cat who is?  Want to tell me about your theology?"  

This! I wish you would show up at my door. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, my public data base search of the local diocese of the Methodist church does not include favorite treats in its info.....  Mores the pity.  

Honestly, I’ll bet you could find out-especially if the church’s website gives contact information for the current head of the UMW :). Although we have gone over a year without potlucks and ladies lunches…

• Like 2