Menu

So if you’ve had a crappy few years and need a puppy….(update today last post)

Mrs Tiggywinkle

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

AWWW so little.  How old is she?   

Two weeks. She won’t come home till August. A friend had an accidental litter of purebred goldens(her vet told her that her male was too young to impregnate her female and not to worry about it yet….nope….he’s fixed now) and Rio is from that litter. So we get to visit her often. 🙂

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Two weeks. She won’t come home till August. A friend had an accidental litter of purebred goldens(her vet told her that her male was too young to impregnate her female and not to worry about it yet….nope….he’s fixed now) and Rio is from that litter. So we get to visit her often. 🙂

That is super awesome.  She is adorable.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

Adorable!

How did you choose one particular puppy at this stage? 

She had four unclaimed so I let my kids choose one.  It’s our fourth golden(one is deceased) and both parents are extremely well tempered so I wasn’t overly worried about temperament.  My kids wanted a light colored golden as we have one dark and one medium lol.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

She had four unclaimed so I let my kids choose one.  It’s our fourth golden(one is deceased) and both parents are extremely well tempered so I wasn’t overly worried about temperament.  My kids wanted a light colored golden as we have one dark and one medium lol.

They’ll be easy to tell apart Goldens, cool!  (Though in photo the two I see look pretty similar in color) 

I love Goldens, such awesome family dogs!

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pen said:

They’ll be easy to tell apart Goldens, cool!  (Though in photo the two I see look pretty similar in color) 

I love Goldens, such awesome family dogs!

It’s the lighting. The older one, who’s 8 now, is dark coated and the younger young, age 2, is mediumish. The lighting in that room is terrible.

I am honestly not a dog person, but I truly love goldens.  When my oldest son was 4, he had a sleepwalking problem. Before we realized what was going on, he went outside one night in just his pajamas into the snow.  It was freezing cold.  My oldest dog, now gone, came upstairs and woke us up. The middle dog that you see there was just a puppy but she followed him out and cuddled him to keep him warm(he lay down in the snow because he truly was not awake at all). We found him quickly because Riley had woken us up and led us out to the door(I thought he had an emergency bathroom issue) where we found Zoe already outside and curled around our son in the snow. 

After that I decided I love golden retrievers.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 23

4 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

It’s the lighting. The older one, who’s 8 now, is dark coated and the younger young, age 2, is mediumish. The lighting in that room is terrible.

I am honestly not a dog person, but I truly love goldens.  When my oldest son was 4, he had a sleepwalking problem. Before we realized what was going on, he went outside one night in just his pajamas into the snow.  It was freezing cold.  My oldest dog, now gone, came upstairs and woke us up. The middle dog that you see there was just a puppy but she followed him out and cuddled him to keep him warm(he lay down in the snow because he truly was not awake at all). We found him quickly because Riley had woken us up and led us out to the door(I thought he had an emergency bathroom issue) where we found Zoe already outside and curled around our son in the snow. 

After that I decided I love golden retrievers.

We have a similar but different story -- we were visiting my aunt, who had a golden. Our son (about 5) was swimming in her pool -- we/he had never met this dog yet before that day, at all. 

Every time he'd dunk his head under the water (which he was actually capable/competent of doing), the golden would swim over to him, tap him on his shoulder with his paw until he came up for air, and then go sit and watch again. He'd go in swimming under water again, she'd go over and tap him to bring him up. Over and over and over again. 

Now, he was fine, but dang if after that we didn't decide we love goldens so much.  

Our golden girl, who hated the waves at the beach (they terrified her), would avoid the waves at all costs. Unless her boys were in the water -- in which case, she would go between them and the deeper water and usher them back into shallower waters. Every single time. She'd run away from the waves in fear if we tried to lead her out there........but the minute her boys were "too deep" out she'd go and usher them back to shore. 

Best dogs ever. 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I am honestly not a dog person, but I truly love goldens.

I am a “dog person” and still have a very very very special heart spot for goldens.

A golden got me through some of the worst of my illness

I don’t have any now because my rural, muddy, plant burrs, deer and other scat, etc, situation turned stunning golden fur into a difficult mess.  (Think beautiful golden after she has rolled in deer poop!  😞 ) 

• Like 2

Tonight at dinner;

DH: We’re really getting a third dog?

Me: Um, yes. 
DH: I bought a Roomba today for the new house just for the dog hair.  Even though I don’t know how much more dog hair we could possibly clean up every day.

😂. So I get a puppy and a Roomba.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 8
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Tonight at dinner;

DH: I bought a Roomba today for the new house just for the dog hair.  Even though I don’t know how much more dog hair we could possibly clean up every day.

Niiiice!!

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Tonight at dinner;

maybe you can supply the new Ruff Spun Chiengora business of

• Mrs Tiggywinkle changed the title to So if you’ve had a crappy few years and need a puppy….(update today last post)
1 minute ago, Jaybee said:

We aren't really cat people, but I do confess a strong partiality to orange tabbies!😍 

I am definitely not a cat person. We only have one because it got dumped on my best friend’s farm and was too young to be sent out to the barn without a mama.  She’s allergic to cats so I offered to foster it while she found a home.

that was six years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

So far no luck in finding the owner. Two houses down and across the street is a cat lady who runs some kind of informal cat rescue.  We think someone dumped this kitten off there and it made it’s way to my house.  
I don’t know how to integrate it with my older grouchy cat though.

20 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

So far no luck in finding the owner. Two houses down and across the street is a cat lady who runs some kind of informal cat rescue.  We think someone dumped this kitten off there and it made it’s way to my house.  
I don’t know how to integrate it with my older grouchy cat though.

The general advice would be to quarantine the kitten for a week or two to make sure it doesn't have anything contagious it could give your older cat. So if you quarantine kitty in a bathroom or laundry room then after a few days/a week/whenever you're feeling comfortable kitten isn't carrying anything--you start letting them smell each other under the door. Another bit of advice is to wipe them down with an old hand towel so they get used to each other's scent. Some cat folks recommend adding a bit of vanilla flavoring or something similar to the towel so you're rubbing the same scent on the cats. Sometimes that process works fine. Sometimes you can just let two cats work things out w/o doing much of anything. It really just depends on the cats.

Any chance the informal cat rescue lady would take it?

• Like 2