Menu

Favorite Pre-Algebra for Struggling Math Student

My oldest is 13 and about to start 8th grade. She seems to be ready formal pre algebra course. I don’t think she’s ready for full on algebra. She has done mostly math u see and principles of mathematics the past few years. My first thoughts were MUS pre algebra or LIfe of Fred. I’m also considering Mr. D. It is definitely on the pricier side though. Is there anything else I should consider. 

31 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Life of Fred Pre-A is subpar on the teaching, especially if she's coming from MUS. 
Have you considered Key To Algebra?  You can supplement with the free Pre-Algebra With Pizazz work sheets for fun or more practice on a concept.

I haven’t but I will look into it. Do you know MUS would compare to Mr. D?

3 minutes ago, hands-on-mama said:

I haven’t but I will look into it. Do you know MUS would compare to Mr. D?

I don't, I'm sorry.  It wasn't an available option for us last time we went through algebra here.  It looks rather nice, though.  I had been looking at Brilliant for a possible course in our house, but Mr. D looks like something we would use.

On 7/1/2021 at 5:12 PM, hands-on-mama said:

My oldest is 13 and about to start 8th grade. She seems to be ready formal pre algebra course. I don’t think she’s ready for full on algebra. She has done mostly math u see and principles of mathematics the past few years. My first thoughts were MUS pre algebra or LIfe of Fred. I’m also considering Mr. D. It is definitely on the pricier side though. Is there anything else I should consider. 

The only one of these I've used is MUS Pre-Algebra. One thing I really liked about it is that it included a significant review of fractions and decimals to help establish a more solid foundation in these before moving on to Algebra. 

For a struggling student, I would also consider Teaching Textbooks (which was on my short list, but vetoed by my oldest after viewing samples! But different kids respond in different ways.) 

Edited by MerryAtHope