Menu

Dang, I messed up

DawnM

Contractor put in the ceiling fan today.    I HATE it.    The fan is really cool but I think it is too large for the space, the wrong color, and he hung it so low that it literally chops the room in half height wise and width wise.

So, now what? 

Take it all down, buy a new one to install, or just have him raise it and see if I like it better that way?

shoot, shoot, shoot.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

I would try having him raise it first.

That’s what I would do, too. 

Maybe you could buy a backup fan to have him install right away in case he lowers the current one and you still don’t like it. That way, he wouldn’t have to come back twice.

• Like 6

For sure have him raise whatever you put in the space. If it's the wrong color part that bugs you, see if (if you have the packaging) the blades are reversible - sometimes/often they are. Maybe he can put it back up with the blades facing the other way, and they'll be correct (with any luck). If he's able to do that, and hang it with the short drop instead of the long drop, that will probably be fine. 

If he can't do either of those two things, do you at least still have the packaging? You should be able to return the wrong one in order to get the correct one, so aside from the hassle of going fan shopping again, it ought not cost you anything (or much). Especially if going down a size in fan, too. 

• Like 4

It looks to me like if you have him raise it so that it "hugs" the ceiling, the size of the fan will visually balance the massive stone work around the fireplace AND the huge recesses in the ceiling. Both the fireplace and the fan look great together, and with your light green walls, BTW! (But just WAY too low for the fan placement 😉 .)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 22

14 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

It looks to me like if you have him raise it so that it "hugs" the ceiling, the size of the fan will visually balance the massive stone work around the fireplace AND the huge recesses in the ceiling. Both the fireplace and the fan look great together, and with your light green walls, BTW! (But just WAY too low for the fan placement 😉 .)

I agree.  All of our fans 'hug' our ceilings.  WTH hanging it so low... looks like it's liable to decapitate someone!

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

It looks like they hung it where it would be hanging, were the room a standard 8-10 ft tall. But that's a higher ceiling, I'm guessing, which makes it look awkward. 

If you hate the actual fan, change it. It's a pretty simple switch. But I think it'd look nice shortened a couple of feet. 

• Like 1

So there is low-profile "ceiling hugging" kits, as in 6-12" from the ceiling, and then there are "downrods".  You can get them in every length from 12" on up at the big box stores. 

It will indeed look wonderful in the room -- it is a really good fan for the room size -- but it needs to be moved up.  I disagree with having it hug the ceiling. If you want to know precisely where you want it, it should be a simple thing for the guy to come, take it off the hanging bracket, rig a rope through the hanging bracket, and then have you look at it as he pulls it up and down until you hit the magic place that seems right to you.  You can measure the length of downrod needed to get it close to where you want it, and then off he goes to the big box store. 

As large as that fan is, I would put it close to ceiling, so it can move a lot of air, but slowly, on low speed.  That way it avoids creating an uncomfortable draft.  But mounting with enough room so you can easily clean the fan blades and so it doesn't create dirt rings on the ceiling as it turns is good, too.  :-) 

• Like 5

Thanks guys.   Actually, I took a closer look and the blades do look almost white, and I think making it higher will help.   

Right now it is a 3' rod.   It is right at the 9' level, which I guess is some sort of standard.    

It came with an 8" rod.   Is that too close?   Should I do 12 inches?   I don't want 24 as it is currently 36 and I think it needs to be 12" or higher.

• Like 1

I'm agreeing with everyone else here that I think it'll look great once it's raised properly. But adding one more thought, which is that if the look is still terrible after you have him raise it then it may be possible to get new blades and just swap them yourself. I had a ceiling fan ages ago that was terrible and I was able to buy new scones and blades for it so I didn't have to buy a whole new fan or deal with either hanging a fan or hiring an electrician.

Also, I may have missed if someone said it, but unless you weirdly specified that height, you should definitely, definitely demand he fix it at no extra cost because that's clearly a mistake height. These things are adjustable and it's absurd that he thought that was the way anyone would want that.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Thanks guys.   Actually, I took a closer look and the blades do look almost white, and I think making it higher will help.   

Right now it is a 3' rod.   It is right at the 9' level, which I guess is some sort of standard.    

It came with an 8" rod.   Is that too close?   Should I do 12 inches?   I don't want 24 as it is currently 36 and I think it needs to be 12" or higher.

Yes, 9' is a standard height, and the 8" rod is for the ceiling-hugging option, but that seems to be a very big diameter fan. 

I have cleaned enough fan blades in my time that I'd choose an 18 inch rod over the 8inch. (Imagine a vacuum hose with a brush attachment perpendicular to the top of your fan blade; you have to have room to do that, because it's the best way to clean a fan without dispersing dirt into the room. (Not the only way, but the easiest.)

If your guy is charging by the hour, I'd go buy the 18" rod myself, and then have him take down the fan, put on the 18" downrod, and if it was still seemed low, then swap out it out to the 8 incher.  He doesn't have to do a full re-install; it should be a simple swap, and then when you decide what you want, he will screw the hardware cover in place over the hanging bracket and the downrod.  :-) 

It's a very pretty room; you deserve to get this right so you're happy in it. 

• Like 6

I can't tell, but will those blades extend to the recessed lighting? 

I ask because the person who built this house has a ceiling fan below the recessed lighting (well of course, you can't do it any other way) and when the fan is on in that room, the light flickers with every blade rotation because it is a smallish room and largish fan. It is awful. So the fan in that room (an office is what we use it for) is unusable. 

So, if those blades with block any of the lighting, you may want to change out that fan with one with shorter blades. 

We do have a ceiling fan in our living room and master bedroom which also have recessed lighting (these folks loved recessed lighting) but the size of the room, size of the fan, location of the lights - everything is fine in those rooms and the fans are usable (and are very much used!). BTW, did they not install the light kits on the fans. Not sure why? Maybe she didn't want to have to dust them? 

• Like 3