Menu

Homeschool Year Planner

Hello!

Are there any good homeschool planners out there that anyone would recommend? I looked at a few options but nothing really seems to be right. For most, I actually don't even know how I would use. 

In the past, I've used a Blue Sky monthly and weekly planner for each child. It does work, but I was wondering if there was something else more geared towards homeschooling that would be helpful. 

I am trying to just plan a few weeks at a time this year. I've done planning the whole year, and then I felt like I was always playing catchup--bc. I've also just planned the week of but then I found myself scrambling towards the end trying see how long it would take to finish the year. 

I don't track attendance, or grades (my kids are still elementary though I will probably start this year for my 3rd grader). 

Thank you!

I've tried and failed The Ultimate Homeschool Planner twice and now I make my own. I have a few general thoughts for the year in my journal and a daily spreadsheet that gets altered as needed. I will share examples of my general thoughts and a screenshot of my daily spreadsheet. The second piece breaks down how many lessons need to finished each term. I'm sorry about my handwriting.

20210702_092535.jpg

20210702_094012.jpg

Screenshot_20210702-094116.png

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Cass said:

Hello!

Are there any good homeschool planners out there that anyone would recommend? I looked at a few options but nothing really seems to be right. For most, I actually don't even know how I would use. 

In the past, I've used a Blue Sky monthly and weekly planner for each child. It does work, but I was wondering if there was something else more geared towards homeschooling that would be helpful. 

I am trying to just plan a few weeks at a time this year. I've done planning the whole year, and then I felt like I was always playing catchup--bc. I've also just planned the week of but then I found myself scrambling towards the end trying see how long it would take to finish the year. 

I don't track attendance, or grades (my kids are still elementary though I will probably start this year for my 3rd grader). 

Thank you!

There's no need to "track attendance." Checking off assignments and whatnot is not the same thing as "tracking attendance." Unless your state requires you to actually submit proof of "attendance," IMHO it's safe to assume that there will be an education happening for at least [insert favorite number of required days] out of 365, and so there's no need to "track" it. 🙂

The Home Schoolers Journal from FergNus Services is practical. It isn't very expensive, so you could order one and see if it would work for you.

Rather than actually planning out what you're going to do, could you check off each day the things that were done? Look through your materials so you'll know what to do each day and you're ready for the next things, but just check off what you do. Then there's no scrambling to finish anything by a certain date.

I use a printable planner from Teachers Pay Teachers and put it in a Five Star Flexi Binder. I have to track attendance and hours for our state so I have that section in the front. I also like to make notes about things that worked and didn’t work, lesson modifications, notes on DS’s reading, etc. The binder makes it easy to add in those sheets behind the weekly grid. 

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Editable-Teacher-Planner-Binder-2021-2022-643874

I got it for $10 during a sale.

• Like 1

I used to create my own so I could have the pages just the way I needed them each year. I did "yearly planning" rather than a strict daily plan. I did estimate about how much time I expected things to take (so that I could come up with a reasonable amount of work for the year), but for daily work, I just jotted down what we did rather than following a pre-set plan. That allowed me the flexibility to move faster or slow, to spend more time on difficult things, to follow rabbit trails my kids were interested in, to go on field trips or nature walks instead of some or all subjects for the day, etc... I really loved that flexibility, especially in the elementary years. Have fun teaching your little ones! 

On 7/1/2021 at 2:51 PM, Cass said:

Hello!

Thank you!

• Like 1