Menu

Children's Bible for 4th grader to read?

staceyobu

My youngest read through a kid's graphic Bible this year. He said for Bible next year he wants to just read through a different Bible. I'd be happy for him to have that to do while I work with the big kids. Any thoughts on options that aren't too baby-ish but would still be appealing for a 4th grader with a short attention span? 

I really like the Golden Children's Bible (kind of hard to find, but I think MP sells it?) and Hurlbut's Story of the Bible. The Golden Children's Bible is illustrated and keeps some of the beautiful and poetic language of the King James Version and is just right for my upcoming 4th grader - not easy, but not too hard. The Hurlbut's we read aloud as a family and it's a fabulous way of looking at the Bible as a story. But it would be difficult for my 4th grader to read to herself. YMMV.

• Like 1

Ones that have gone over well at my house:

Golden Children's Bible -- slightly edited KJV text, well done artwork if you can get over the blond Jesus 😉 Memoria's Christian Studies is based on this Bible.

One Year Bible for Children -- daily Bible readings with calendar dates -- goes from Genesis to Corinthians;  really helped my 8-10 year olds get into a habit of daily Bible reading

The Adventure Bible (NIV) -- complete Bible, very readable translation for children

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 4

If you want a grown-up Bible that's written in everyday language, the Contemporary English Version is very approachable.  It doesn't have illustrations, but since it uses more modern language, it's not exhausting to read.  It was actually translated with the goal of being readable for children and English language learners.

3 hours ago, Slache said:

The New Living Translation.

Hmm, I really like the NLT! https://www.amazon.com/Year-Bible-Kids-Challenge-Tyndale/dp/0842385177?asin=0842385177&revisionId=&format=4&depth=1  This would be similar to the also excellent one ZooKeeper linked.

9 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

One Year Bible for Children -- daily Bible readings with calendar dates -- goes from Genesis to Corinthians;  really helped my 8-10 year olds get into a habit of daily Bible reading

https://www.amazon.com/Read-N-Grow-Picture-Bible-Libby-Weed/dp/084991163X/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=read+n+grow+bible&qid=1625194958&s=books&sr=1-1  Not sure if he'd consider this more reading or less than the graphic bible, but it might be worth looking at. Super huge favorite here for the simple cell illustrations and text below. Very thorough. 

• Like 1

I have my kids read this one in 3rd or 4th grade:
https://www.amazon.com/NIrV-Story-Kids-Paperback-Beginning/dp/0310759641/

It uses text from the Bible (NIrV translation) combined with writing that helps weave the Bible together for a good broad overview of the Bible as one big story of God's redemption. The way it's done, it reads somewhat like a chapter book.

• Like 2

Just not the Lego Bible. Never the Lego Bible. Someone gave my son a copy and he looked through it 10 minutes before handing it to me saying it had inappropriate images and he felt bad reading it. There were a lot of messed up pictures. Yes, the Bible has murder and incest and evil but this was a perversion using Lego as a Trojan horse. I trashed it.