Menu

ADA Friendly Bathroom

For those curious or in case anyone ever has to...

We remodeled our tiny 3/4 master bathroom into this:

We did a lot of research and counted heavily on friends/contractors of ours. They knew what could and couldn’t be done with the space. 

1. Toilevator

2. Bidet with remote

3. Drop down bars by the toilet instead of standard grab - these move out of the way for a shower chair of or when needed

4. Linear drain to decrease the angles

5. Sloped floor and zero entry

6. All tile

7. Bertch custom made the sink cabinetry to fit the space. Apparently this wasn’t difficult? Or maybe I was just lucky with the width of the space?

8. Flip up seat for shower chair accessibility

9. A second shower head on a vertical bar for hands free and easy adjustment

10. Touchless soap/shampoo dispensers (who knew it was HARD to pump shampoo?! Surprised me too!

11. We still have to add a vertical bar that doubles as a toilet paper holder

I’m so tickled with the outcome!! Ignore the lights... it was what we had on hand yesterday. 😉 

749C0A65-0086-433C-9ED8-5902709D9430.jpeg

AD59B589-1DA5-4104-B752-1DD7024F35A3.jpeg

2FE57432-FDD9-44DC-B47E-E2A1552077C8.jpeg

• Like 38

That looks great! I love the colors. Which bidet did you choose? We’re wanting to upgrade from our (icy 😬) cold water one and I’m driving myself crazy trying to choose one. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KSera said:

That looks great! I love the colors. Which bidet did you choose? We’re wanting to upgrade from our (icy 😬) cold water one and I’m driving myself crazy trying to choose one. 

Brondell Swash 1000 - checked Consumer Reports. 

Costco had it on major sale - love it! Even adjustable temperature (air and water) width of spray, angle of spray!

245619B2-D52E-4521-8628-9A51E6835882.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

That is awesome.   My mom is in a power chair full time and I work with students with special needs....so I get just how great this is.

So glad you could get what you need....and have it be so beautiful.

• Like 1

That is lovely! I've never heard of a toilevator, but what an amazing thing. When my stepmom could no longer get up/down herself, my dad installed some kind of winch type thing to lift her -- it worked, but not ideal at all. I am sure he wishes he'd known of these back then!  

I'm so glad you were able to get some beauty out of the function, too. It feels so spa-like ❤️ 

• Like 1

That is just beautiful. Love the shower. Thank you so much for posting. Someday we'd like to update maybe both bathrooms. It would be nice to have a wheelchair accessible sink so we could wash dd's hands. She's a tub girl (likes being in water), so while we may not switch that in the bathroom she uses, I could see doing a shower like yours in our master and we could shower her in there if needed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

Yay!

I wish we had this much space for my dad, but we didn't.   

We didn't either - but I had to have enough space to fit in a tilt shower chair.  I'm glad your dad doesn't have the same needs - that's a good thing!  We had to choose whether to keep our big main bathroom OR steal the space (leave a toilet/sink for guests) and give the space to the Master.  We decided (for my privacy) that we'd take from the one and give it to the other.  Mine only had to be this space because I will have to stay in a tilt chair for showers otherwise I wouldn't have given up our main bathroom so readily. 😉 I think yours is gorgeous and your Dad is a lucky man to have a caring, considerate daughter. ❤️  We ended up finishing a basement bathroom for the teens downstairs and leaving my shower as the only one upstairs.  Turns out that second shower head (lower and adjustable) is awesome for little kids, lol!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BlsdMama said:

We didn't either - but I had to have enough space to fit in a tilt shower chair.  I'm glad your dad doesn't have the same needs - that's a good thing! 

Yes, I agree and I am sorry you have to have that.  We can fit a shower wheelchair or shower chair in there if needed.    And honestly, we could have taken the space up to the fireplace if we had to.    The contractor talked us into lowering the ceiling to 8' in the bathroom and after he did that we realized we should have asked him to make it at least 9', but it is too late now.   Oh well.

We had to choose whether to keep our big main bathroom OR steal the space (leave a toilet/sink for guests) and give the space to the Master.  We decided (for my privacy) that we'd take from the one and give it to the other.  Mine only had to be this space because I will have to stay in a tilt chair for showers otherwise I wouldn't have given up our main bathroom so readily. 😉 I think yours is gorgeous and your Dad is a lucky man to have a caring, considerate daughter. ❤️  We ended up finishing a basement bathroom for the teens downstairs and leaving my shower as the only one upstairs.  Turns out that second shower head (lower and adjustable) is awesome for little kids, lol!

awesome

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

Brondell Swash 1000 - checked Consumer Reports. 

Costco had it on major sale - love it! Even adjustable temperature (air and water) width of spray, angle of spray!

245619B2-D52E-4521-8628-9A51E6835882.jpeg

Costco is where I’ve been shopping and trying to choose between, so this is very helpful. Is there any compelling reason to have two nozzles? That’s one of the things I’m stuck on between models. Since the nozzles move, I can’t decide if it matters for there to be two. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KSera said:

Costco is where I’ve been shopping and trying to choose between, so this is very helpful. Is there any compelling reason to have two nozzles? That’s one of the things I’m stuck on between models. Since the nozzles move, I can’t decide if it matters for there to be two. 

Do I have two? Hmm. I think it’s one that comes out further? I can’t tell... but I can say, after two days experience, lol, due to the sharp curve/embankment at the back of the seat, one has to sit further forward than one wold normally, I don’t think the sprayer comes far enough forward for the lady bits IMO. 😉 So if the purpose of a second sprayer is specific to address this, I vote yes for a second sprayer! 

• Thanks 1