Menu

Pasta salad recipes

SDMomof3

8 minutes ago, SDMomof3 said:

My kids are really into pasta salads lately. With the summer heat, cold pasta salad has been great for lunch or dinner.

Do you have recipes to share? Bonus if it keeps well in the fridge. My dd loves bringing pasta salads for lunch. 

I’m sure I saw an article like this in a food network magazine...but a good way to “wing it” is to decide if you want creamy or oil based dressing.

Then pick a pasta shape. I think rotini or elbows or shells work well with most pasta salads.

Next pick a “flavor profile” So Italian or Mexican or Ranch, etc

Finally, add your veggies, meats, cheeses and maybe a crunchy topping.

So...Italian with olives, green pepper, onion pepperoni, mozzarella balls

Ranch with bacon, broccoli, cheddar

etc...

One of my favorites is macaroni, mayo, celery, red onion and tuna. 

• Like 2

I like to use cheese tortellini, mozzarella balls, cherry tomatoes, black olives and hard salami.  Make a dressing out of equal parts Italian dressing and basil pesto (purchased works great).  Toss and eat!  It's fantastic fresh or a few days old from the fridge.  If you eat onions, red onions are a nice addition.  Sometimes I'll add broccoli or red bell pepper.   

• Like 4

-pound of pasta, cooked & rinsed

-pound of frozen stir fry veggies, dumped into boiling pasta water 1-2 minutes before the noodles are ready. I like the kind with asparagus and red bell peppers best

-packet or two of ranch dressing mix

-2T or so avocado or olive oil

-Option of any protein you want if you want a main dish. I prefer black beans, DH prefers diced chicken.

Mix together until veggies & pasta are coated in oil & the powdered dressing dissolves.  You can eat it hot if you’re in a hurry. It’s best at least 2 hours chilled. 

We love pasta salad! 
spiral pasta with honey mustard salad dressing, cut up chicken tenders, whatever veg on hand, shredded cheese

we like traditional macaroni salad but only make half as much dressing so it’s not swimming

taco pasta salad- taco seasoning stirred into a Mayo/vinegar dressing over spiral pasta, tomatoes, olives, shredded cheese, diced onion, black beans

not a pasta salad but the taco salad made with Catalina dressing and Doritos is a big favorite!

Edited by saraha
  • Like 1

Mexican: 

1lb pasta

Dressing: 1 cup salsa, 1 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, salt and pepper

Add in's: 1 can corn, drained; 1 can black beans, drained; 1 red pepper, diced; 1 can black olives; diced tomatoes (about 4 romas or 2 larger); 1-2 cups shredded mexican cheese; chopped onions-not sure how much as we don't like onions.

One of our favorites is a family tuna pasta salad recipe...  I don't have an exact recipe, but I'll try:

One box small pasta shells, cooked.

Add one can tuna, drained.  (You can add two if you want, but I like it less tuna-y.)  Then add mayo.  I usually add around 1/2 cup.  (I think the original recipe called for more, but I like less.)

Mix in about 1/4 cup chopped onion, about 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional), and salt and pepper to taste.

Add chopped squares of sharp cheddar cheese, around 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch, or smaller.  (To your liking!)  I generally add about 4 ounces, but can be more.

Once that's all mixed, I add lots of lemon juice to flavor.  

Chill for several hours if you can.  Right before serving, add one cup frozen peas and serve immediately.

I always sprinkle extra pepper into it at the end.

• Like 1