Menu

Anyone good at thinking up names for a business?

41 minutes ago, Slache said:

Spinning Tails

I like this one. It tells what you do and where the fibers come from all in one fell pun-ish title. 

I used to tease when I had 3 huskies at one time that I should start using their fur. It was SO.MUCH.FUR. 

I would love to see what you're doing with the fur. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

I'm finally going to hang out my shingle as a handspinner, and need a clever name. My focus will be spinning (and possibly knitting) combings from dogs. Go ahead, tell me how crazy I am! But this is something I have wanted to do for a very long time, so I'm going to give it a whirl. (Pun intended.)

Any ideas?

What a great idea. My German shedder is ready to contribute!! I take full bunnies off of him every day.

Your pun -- give it a whirl -- is the direction you want to head in for a clever name. I get so mad at myself b/c I'll name something, make it all official, and then think of something better. So take your time.

Also, you can get media attention on a small business like this b/c it's unusual.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, elegantlion said:

I like this one. It tells what you do and where the fibers come from all in one fell pun-ish title. 

I used to tease when I had 3 huskies at one time that I should start using their fur. It was SO.MUCH.FUR. 

I would love to see what you're doing with the fur. 

I have a friend with two huskie brothers and the hair is unreal! I can't imagine a third!!

On 6/28/2021 at 10:54 AM, I talk to the trees said:

I'm finally going to hang out my shingle as a handspinner, and need a clever name. My focus will be spinning (and possibly knitting) combings from dogs. Go ahead, tell me how crazy I am! But this is something I have wanted to do for a very long time, so I'm going to give it a whirl. (Pun intended.)

Any ideas?

You could call it "Give it a whirl"!

• Like 2

On 6/28/2021 at 8:00 AM, LifeLovePassion said:

Ruffspun fibers

Ruff Spun  Fibers 

Ruff Spun Yarns

Woof Wool

are my favorites so far 

addiing

If doing knitting 

canine-knitteds

K9-knitting

?

could use that gorgeous collie with yarn picture as a logo if you can be ok with it yourself  

21 hours ago, knittingmomof3 said:

Woof-Wool

21 hours ago, knittingmomof3 said:
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Terabith said:

My sister in law used to spin yarn from her dog's fur and use it to knit stuff.  But it took a LOT of fur to get enough yarn to do much.  

There are quite a few of us crazy chiengora spinners out there! Depending on the dog, you can get quite a lot of useable fiber from just a couple of combings. But the thing about dog hair is that it is hot, way hotter than wool. So if you plan on wearing an item made with dog, you blend it with other fibers. But most of the people I know who have spun or knit their dog's fur have just made it into little keepsake items like a Christmas tree ornament. I once made a passport holder for a friend who travelled a lot out of her critters' fur. 

Ok, editing again, because clearly I’m not fully caffeinated yet. What I was trying to say was that you don’t need much dog hair because most of the time you’re either blending it with other stuff or making small items anyway. 

Edited by I talk to the trees
Hit send too soon
  • Like 3

“Chiengora” is good!

what are other qualities besides extra hot?

Would it allow far less bulk to make a warm wearable? 

Ruffspun Chiengora ? 

sounds softer fluffier more exotic and luxuriant than Ruffspun Fiber 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happi duck said:

I agree with @Pen, chiengora is a great word.  I didn't realize there was already a term for it.

Chiengora Handspun?  With a cute logo?  Dog in a scarf maybe?

I am just posting to say, I love the idea of a dog in a scarf for the logo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I did an informal poll of the knitters and spinners at my LYS during the Tour de Fleece spin-in, and have decided on….

Ruffspun Fiber Arts! Looks like I might have lucked into spinning combings from a Pyrenees named Brutus for my first official job! 

ETA: Oh! The whole point of this post was to say thank you to everyone who replied! 

Edited by I talk to the trees
  • Like 8

Ruffspun Fiber Arts is a cute name.....but when said out loud, it makes it sound like "rough spun"....which may not be the feeling you want to imply (or maybe it is LOL). I hear it as rough as in 'course yarn'.  The spelling confusion could also be a problem for website search hits since 'rough' has a specific meaning in the yarn world, unless you tell people the spelling you are using, they will have a harder time finding you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2021 at 6:21 PM, Kebo said:

Hair of the Dog Fiber Arts

FurBaby Fibers

Rover's Rovings

I LOVE the name Hair of the Dog Fiber Arts. 

You could name the dye lots after different breeds + alcohols. Like oh idk… Brandy-eyed Basset
Labrador Lager
Peach Schnapps Poodle

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I LOVE the name Hair of the Dog Fiber Arts. 

You could name the dye lots after different breeds + alcohols. Like oh idk… Brandy-eyed Basset
Labrador Lager
Peach Schnapps Poodle

The problem with Hair of the Dog is that someone else already loves it too! 😂

What a clever idea to have booze-themed colors! Love it!

3 hours ago, sassenach said:

I love Ruff Spun. This is so niche, I don't think it'll get confused for being rough. Can you post a picture of a creation? As someone who wades through piles of lab fur on the daily, I'm fascinated by this business!

Sure! Here's a photo of mittens made from my parents' tri sheltie. The little sweetheart in my avatar is half lab. I have tried to get some spinnable combings off of her, but to no avail- she's all hair and no undercoat. It's the downy undercoat from double-coated dogs that makes the best yarn.

5AB36E67-2219-46EE-AE3A-1DDF616828C0_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 3