Menu

Solo traveling?

I am turning 40 in October.  I have a bit of money saved and my parents are giving me some as well. Originally, I had really wanted to go on a cruise as DH and I never had a honeymoon.  He is going to nursing school now and won’t be able to go away for more than a night, so he told me to go on my own.

Has anyone cruised on their own? I looked at some all inclusive resorts as well. I really want beach and ocean and someone else making my food.

My 30s have been a decade of very intense mothering and working; and I was really hoping to start 40 off on a different foot.  But is this type of vacation something I should just shelf until DH is done?

(I don’t have many friends and none would be able to afford any kind of vacation; it would honestly be rude of me to ask. I have one cousin who’d be interested in going, but she’s a pharmacist looking for a new job and if she gets one, wouldn’t have the vacation days to go)

• Like 1

If you enjoy time alone, I say go for it.  Often there are classes or group activities you could join if you want to be with people.  The rest of the time you could do your own thing....or do NOTHING at all.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ottakee said:

If you enjoy time alone, I say go for it.  Often there are classes or group activities you could join if you want to be with people.  The rest of the time you could do your own thing....or do NOTHING at all.

I love time alone.  My last cruise(in my 20s) I went with my sister, grandmother, and two great aunts. I spent the entire 13 days reading on the deck and on Hawaiian beaches.  It was delightful.

I am not a very exciting person.  As awful as this sounds, all I want for my birthday is a couple of days where I don’t take care of anyone and have someone else taking care of me.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I love time alone.  My last cruise(in my 20s) I went with my sister, grandmother, and two great aunts. I spent the entire 13 days reading on the deck and on Hawaiian beaches.  It was delightful.

I am not a very exciting person.  As awful as this sounds, all I want for my birthday is a couple of days where I don’t take care of anyone and have someone else taking care of me.

Then GO.   I am more of a people person but a few weeks ago I went on a solo hiking and rustic camping trip.  It rained most of the time yet I really enjoyed it.  I unplugged for 24 hours as well.

On Mother's day a friend and I ran away from 9am until 4 pm the next day.   We went OUT to eat and had people serve us.  We hiked and mountain biked and had dinner with another friend and spent the night at that friends cottage.   It was delightful.

When you are a major caregiver, it is great to just get away for a short time and let someone else take care of you.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Has anyone cruised on their own?

I cruise with my ds, which essentially like cruising alone, haha. LOVE it. My first time, I took my mother and her dh, and they did their thing while I did mine. Then I did a back to back (2 weeks) where I took a friend the first week. She's pretty introvert, so we did some things together (excursions) and a lot alone. 

54 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

There is a lovely Hawaii cruise like that from CA with Carnival. Not sure your pricepoint, but you could definitely do this. They'll call them Journey cruises. I find when I cruise alone that I make friends. It's really not a big deal. I'm not sure I'd go to singles events unless you have that plan, haha. But I usually end up talking with people and making friends, so that I recognize people around the ship. I'm very extrovert, lol. 

Fwiw, some of the ships have areas ideal for introverts. On Carnival they'll call it their Serenity deck, and some of the ships will have a special salad bar, etc. there. So position yourself well to be near the things you think you'll like. Have you thought about doing a spa room? I LOVE the spa on the ships, and it sounds like you might. Some of the spas have amazing rooms, and you'll get extra perks with robes, etc. 

I also really liked the week I spent in Fort Meyers on the beach just walking. They have an outdoor market with lovely food stalls (cuban, french, etc.). It wasn't quite a cruise, but cruising wasn't up, sigh. 

To me the challenge with a journeys cruise is finding one with the features you like. I hate the main dining room on cruises, so for me the specialty restaurants are really important. Not sure how picky you are on food. On carnival most are a cheap upgrade, like $10-15 extra to eat there with a reservation. 

Do you have an introvert girlfriend you could take along to split costs? (raises hand to volunteer, oops not introvert) But yeah, you could. My friend spent the whole time reading, and I took puzzles for her to do. They have these tiny art puzzles in little tins that will fit in your suitcase but still be challenging. She hit the art gallery, read a lot. Me, I did water slides, the sky ride bike, crazy stuff. She read, haha. 

It can be lonely to cruise alone, and you can get hit on. If you have a friend to take with you, I would. Although I embrace reality and do it, I'm just saying it is a bit lonely or wistful, especially the first time. So I would do it but take a friend along if you can. It will be almost no more money and you'll probably be glad you did with the right person. I told my friend upfront no expectations. We didn't even take most meals together. Like I think we ate dinner together twice in a week.  

54 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

all I want for my birthday is a couple of days where I don’t take care of anyone and have someone else taking care of me.

So the challenge is that shorter cruises are booze cruises. So unless you're looking at Disney ($$, hence many people do short), I would look at a week or a journeys cruise even. Journeys will have less kids. With the long cruises, people are more serious, spreading out their drinking to survive the week, haha. 

And yes, it will feel exactly like that, like you're finally perfectly, blissfully at peace and relaxed. Even taking my ds I feel that way, which is astonishing considering I think he's about as fun as your ds, haha. Now my ds is getting more pleasant. He actually almost complies now or seems to have picked up a little social clue phone. He's completely independent on the ship, doing his own thing, and the cabin stewards clean up anything he does (wet bed pads, items thrown, etc.). So for me, even taking my ds doesn't ruin it. And I only take him on say 1 of the 3 excursions in a week. The rest, he just stays on the ship if he wants. 

That means for excursions I'm using some caution. If I'm doing them with someone, then private vendors are fine. If I'm doing them by myself, I like the safety of doing them through the cruise line. That's just me. I've been surprised at the value (nicer excursion that fit the higher price), and it's definitely safer on all levels. There are some I did that I look back on and kinda... well let's just say it's a good thing God takes care of us, haha. Last time I ended up alone (because ds wouldn't go) in some car flying through the roads and jungles of Belize. It was CRAZY. The guy didn't even have money to finish the trip till I paid him to cover gas. And this was with a reputable, well reviewed vendor!! So plan your excursions through the cruise line is my advice. :biggrin:

Ok, another crazy suggestion. Texas is great for cruising out of. The people are very friendly. I don't know if you're thinking to cruise from NY, but I'm just saying each port seems to have a draw and personality. Galveston is a very friendly crowd, friendly place. Miami was more international. So if you're going to fly to your port, maybe open up your options. The Vista out of Galveston is superb and has GELATO machines. So good. I'm sailing the new Mardi Gras (Lord willing) next year, super excited about that. Then I'm booked on the Magic for a repeat. I like big ships, just me. I like the features and the crowds don't bug me as I just slink in and around by myself.

You'll have super fun. You should totally do it. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I am not a very exciting person.

I think it's easy to forget who you are or not have the opportunity to explore who you are when you spend your whole time caretaking for people. What were you like in college? 

Obviously don't lose your moors, but I find the cruise (and vacation in general) is a time to remember who I AM. You might like things that you haven't been having a chance to do. I get concussions on my cruises, haha. 

Have you seen Now Voyager with Bette Davis? That and Moana. I just channel all my inner whatever that has gotten lost and go find myself on the seas. :biggrin: 

(I don’t have many friends and none would be able to afford any kind of vacation

I just asked my friend (not well heeled) to pay the cost to add her, which was $300. She gave me $500, so I threw in a couple excursions and a specialty dining together. Some places have really cheap excursions, like in Cozumel where you can take a taxi and hit the chocolate factory for a $5 tour. 

I think she's torn about going again, haha, because cruising was really loud and wild for her (I wear earplugs, doesn't bother me) but it's cheap fun. So who knows. I offered to take her again in 2024. 

I have one cousin who’d be interested in going, but she’s a pharmacist looking for a new job and if she gets one, wouldn’t have the vacation days to go)

How soon are you thinking of going? Right now things are totally crazy. I follow the cruise vlogs avidly (like too much) but you may be hard pressed to get a cruise soon. Maybe for fall, but then you have hurricane season. I cruise late January, before Valentine's, which for me is the sweet spot. I think the cruises then are almost sold out. You might be able to get ones soon just because they're potentially going to be canceled. If you want it to go of a certainty, you're looking at next year. Carnival and these lines are bringing back ships in an order (most swank to older) and by port. There's a lot that is not worked out. Like if you want to go SOON I would call a good travel agent who's in the loop (La Lido Loca maybe) and ask them which will actually legit be likely to go and not get canceled on you.

So if you're actually looking farther out, like something in 2022, then maybe your cousin could go. That might be ideal honestly. Like maybe talk with her about her timeline and what could legit work. Like May of 2022 maybe? It seems like a long way off, but it's not. 

https://lalidoloca.com/  Here, I haven't used them but they're very in the loop on what is actually going to go. If you're wanting to go in 2021, I would use someone like them and get some good advice. You can figure it all out yourself, but that would save you time to use someone. And since you have funding, splurge on a room that gets you close to stuff you think you'll want to do. It will make your trip very pleasant. Unless you like a cove cabin and stairs. I think that would make me sick to be so close to the water, but some people are all over that! They say you can see flying fish and all sorts of things. Me, I go up high on the boat, super close to the spa, the water slides, the serenity deck, the outdoor movies, the things I like, kwim? Once you realize where you want to be and what features you need on the ship, you'll quickly work through whether you can even do this in 2021 or need to wait to 2022.

Edited by PeterPan

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/25253-carnival-cruise-line-ramps-up-sail-date-updates-by-ship.html  This is what I'm talking about with the reopenings. So the Carnival Pride has a journeys cruise out of Baltimore, one way, that would be AMAZING. Not sure the specialty dining on that ship. But you get the idea that just because things are listed doesn't mean they're going. If you want to be solid, you want to pick one of the ships that is starting earliest and pick a date quite a bit out. That would be my logic. The travel agent can help you with that.

The other way to do it is to book soon, not mind that it gets canceled, and then rebook using the onboard credits ($600 for a week, wow!) that they'll give you. That can work too. If you have the money lying around and don't mind it being locked up, that would be a way to do it.

Just looking at that link I gave you, it's looking like 

Vista or Breeze out of Galveston

Magic or Mardi Gras out of Port Canaveral

Horizon out of Miami

Those are ones to book if you actually want it to go. All the rest are crap shoots and good intentions. Hopefully they'll go, but things are so tied up with the courts, the CDC, the masking and testing policies, it's just crazy. 

My guess is the other cruise lines are pretty similar, starting with a couple ships and ramping up. So if you pick one of the early ships and book it out for next year, they're likely to go. But that's what I'm saying is filling up, FILLING UP. There is so much pent up demand for cruising it's nuts. People one some of these groups have 15 and 20 cruises booked over the next two years to catch up on their fix! Now if you're looking at a spa room maybe you'll find something. But good luck. 

The Mardi Gras will be amazing but the spa is in the bottom of the ship, no view from what I can tell. I'll still do it, but it's a bummer. The spa on the Vista is amazing. Breeze and Magic are sister ships, no adult salad bar but a great spa. Horizon is sister (clone) of the Vista but I like the specialty dining on the Vista better. The Breeze is doing 4 day trips anyway.

Or you could book something else and just rebook with the obc if it gets canceled. Definitely talk through with a travel agent.

Celebrity has ships raring to go in Florida. Do you ever watch Captain Kate on youtube? She's adorable. The food would be amazing. I wouldn't go MSC, just me personally. Royal Caribbean is having hiccups. Disney has made no promises at all because their clientelle is kid/family heavy. But see what the agent says. Tony from La Lido Loca just did a cruise with Royal. I'm sure the ship was full of vloggers, lol.

Edited by PeterPan

I am not a cruise lover, but I am a person who loves and craves time alone, where I can choose what I want to do among the choices available to me, without taking anyone else's preferences and desires into account.  

Before I was married I traveled alone a bit, not on a cruise. I used to travel to a theater festival alone - I read, walked, ate, watched plays... all on my own. It was a long time ago and I still miss it. Someday I might get to do something similar again!

So I say, find the right situation for yourself and do it!  I think it will be very refreshing. The essence of motherhood is giving up your desires for the good of others, and that's a great thing! But it's OK to want a break. It is in no way awful to want that!

• Like 3

My vote is that you should totally go for it. I spent an entire 7 days alone at the beach a few months ago - we had planned a family vacation, but about a week before we were supposed to leave, everyone else had stuff come up and they couldn’t go. I had already taken time off work and really needed a break, so I ended up going alone. It was so glorious and absolutely life-changing. I spent my days walking along the beachside boardwalk, reading, journaling, staring out at the horizon with my toes buried in the sand, contemplating, and like others said, figuring out who I am. I ate take-out for every meal, which was still less expensive than if the family came and we went out a few times. 

I’ve had a lot going on in my life for the last several years, and I came back feeling renewed and recharged, and better prepared to face the future ahead of me. Like I said, it was absolutely life-changing for me, and I would highly recommend it! 

• Like 5

I am really not a CRUISE person, so have nothing to add on that particular form of travel; but 100% endorse solo traveling as part of a tour of some sort.  I've done a couple of Road Scholar hiking trips with my mother, and they seem to attract a high number of solo travelers (and they do have small-ship cruises).  I've also over the years had good times with Friendly Planet and REI, where there also were a number of solo travelers.

I love planning and rarely use a travel agent or planner when we travel as a family or couple.  But it is really, really nice to have all the logistics done for you, especially when you're alone.  And it's self-selecting who goes on such excursions; the odds are very high you'll meet interesting and compatible people. Go for it.

Happy birthday.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Slache said:

I just wanted to put a plug in for Vegas. Not for gambling and alcohol, but the shows, hotels, food. I love Vegas.

Oh my, I had never thought of that. So what shows did you like there? 

Adding: You've done Vegas *alone*? Or you're just saying you like Vegas? Because on a cruise, you've got people looking out for you and a lot of consistency. It's relatively safe alone, so long as you use common sense.

Edited by PeterPan

Cruises don't really appeal to me, and if I did one, it would be with dh. So for me, I'd save the cruise to do with dh. I would, however, find a lovely place on the coast to spend several days alone, just reading, walking, thinking, writing, resting. Perhaps a place with some historical significance, or just a more remote area as far as crowds. I definitely would not cook; I'd probably take some easy stuff for breakfast, and then eat one major meal out each day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Oh my, I had never thought of that. So what shows did you like there? 

Adding: You've done Vegas *alone*? Or you're just saying you like Vegas? Because on a cruise, you've got people looking out for you and a lot of consistency. It's relatively safe alone, so long as you use common sense.

I was 11 but I've always wanted to go back. Cirque Du Soliel, pirates, tigers. I think the tigers are no longer a thing. My favorite thing was the hotels. My favorite thing from any place I've ever been is Vegas hotels, and I've been a lot of places. The pools are awesome, too. I'm a beach baby and reading by the pools in Vegas is the only thing comparable to the beach. They also have a lot of weird things like the M&M museum or store or whatever. I feel completely safe on the strip and there is no need to leave the strip.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Slache said:

I think the tigers are no longer a thing.

You're cracking me up. At age 11, tigers are important, lol. How old are you now? I'm 45, so for me I'm looking for how many stairs I have to climb, lol.

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

I'm a beach baby and reading by the pools in Vegas is the only thing comparable to the beach.

I don't know, Orlando has some pretty nice pools too. And now I like hot tubs too. An excellent hot tub can make a location.

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

the M&M museum

Oh that's a riot. I will look it up. 

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

I feel completely safe on the strip and there is no need to leave the strip.

So you've been back as an adult?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

You're cracking me up. At age 11, tigers are important, lol. How old are you now? I'm 45, so for me I'm looking for how many stairs I have to climb, lol.

I don't know, Orlando has some pretty nice pools too. And now I like hot tubs too. An excellent hot tub can make a location.

Oh that's a riot. I will look it up. 

So you've been back as an adult?

35, no stairs. :biggrin:

I've never been to Orlando, but we're going soon so the kids can see the world's largest rat.

I have not been back but every adult I've spoken to about it backs me up. We were supposed to go for our honeymoon but life got in the way. It's a very inexpensive vacation with lots of options.

As an adult I'm totally going back to the M&M place. It's really cool. And I've seen every Cirque Du Soliel show I can as an adult because it's awesome. It's here this November.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I am turning 40 in October.  I have a bit of money saved and my parents are giving me some as well. Originally, I had really wanted to go on a cruise as DH and I never had a honeymoon.  He is going to nursing school now and won’t be able to go away for more than a night, so he told me to go on my own.

Has anyone cruised on their own? I looked at some all inclusive resorts as well. I really want beach and ocean and someone else making my food.

My 30s have been a decade of very intense mothering and working; and I was really hoping to start 40 off on a different foot.  But is this type of vacation something I should just shelf until DH is done?

(I don’t have many friends and none would be able to afford any kind of vacation; it would honestly be rude of me to ask. I have one cousin who’d be interested in going, but she’s a pharmacist looking for a new job and if she gets one, wouldn’t have the vacation days to go)

How is this going work with YOUR new job?

Are you still taking your DD to Disney and your sister’s in Florida? 

Why not tack on a couple solo days just for you during that trip?

50 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Cruises don't really appeal to me, and if I did one, it would be with dh. So for me, I'd save the cruise to do with dh. I would, however, find a lovely place on the coast to spend several days alone, just reading, walking, thinking, writing, resting. Perhaps a place with some historical significance, or just a more remote area as far as crowds. I definitely would not cook; I'd probably take some easy stuff for breakfast, and then eat one major meal out each day.

I thought of this too. The all inclusiveness of a resort is what really appeals to me.

I would go out of Orlando or Tampa, preferably Tampa area since I could stay there. I’ve found some 4-5 night cruises in late October.  I don’t want to be away from my kids much longer than that. 

• Like 1

LOL my first thought on seeing mention of Las Vegas was "you couldn't pay me enough to go back there." Of course I corrected that thought because surely I have a price. I've been 4 times, once as a kid and 3 times as an adult. I despise the place. I can't comment on the safety of the strip as I have no current knowledge of it. There were some fun things there and yes hotels and food can be cheap. But it is the antithesis of quiet and relaxing to me. Even by the pool in the morning, people were drunk and loud. (I am not against people drinking, even in the morning. I object to the loudness.)  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, pinball said:

How is this going work with YOUR new job?

Are you still taking your DD to Disney and your sister’s in Florida? 

Why not tack on a couple solo days just for you during that trip?

I changed jobs already; I got offered a work from home job dream job and took that. My ambulance job offers fairly unlimited PTO as long as you don’t abuse it and I don’t.

I have to fly back July 31 as DH starts nursing school boot camp that upcoming week and we don’t have childcare for my youngest, so I need to be home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marbel said:

LOL my first thought on seeing mention of Las Vegas was "you couldn't pay me enough to go back there." Of course I corrected that thought because surely I have a price. I've been 4 times, once as a kid and 3 times as an adult. I despise the place. I can't comment on the safety of the strip as I have no current knowledge of it. There were some fun things there and yes hotels and food can be cheap. But it is the antithesis of quiet and relaxing to me. Even by the pool in the morning, people were drunk and loud. (I am not against people drinking, even in the morning. I object to the loudness.)  

I went in the middle of the school year and there was like no one anywhere, except the casinos. Our pool was the size of a football field and there were never more than 3 people in it. We never went out at night. Maybe it's changed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I changed jobs already; I got offered a work from home job dream job and took that. My ambulance job offers fairly unlimited PTO as long as you don’t abuse it and I don’t.

I have to fly back July 31 as DH starts nursing school boot camp that upcoming week and we don’t have childcare for my youngest, so I need to be home.

I meant your new job...will you have time off from that already?

i know some places really limit time off during the initial hire period

11 minutes ago, pinball said:

I meant your new job...will you have time off from that already?

i know some places really limit time off during the initial hire period

It’s content design/curriculum development so as long as I get the weekly contracted work done I’m good, or I could definitely work on it anywhere I have internet.  I’ve been working from our boat on our local lake using my hotspot. 😂😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I thought of this too. The all inclusiveness of a resort is what really appeals to me.

I would go out of Orlando or Tampa, preferably Tampa area since I could stay there. I’ve found some 4-5 night cruises in late October.  I don’t want to be away from my kids much longer than that. 

Listed but probably not sailing

It’s content design/curriculum development so as long as I get the weekly contracted work done I’m good, or I could definitely work on it anywhere I have internet.  I’ve been working from our boat on our local lake using my hotspot. 😂😂

Find a time of year to make it an annual tradition

Go for it. 

You do it. Report back! I am all ears.

I have my first solo trip, camping in a wild region of the upper peninsula, Oct 7-10 plus the day up commute and day back home. I am practically counting the days.

Would it be wrong for me to have a day in which I so shun humanity, that I do not speak, never have to hear the sound of my own voice? I am beginning to think that sounds like a piece of heaven.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Find a time of year to make it an annual tradition

The dates are pretty much set in stone.  My travel agent seems to think Celebrity will definitely be cruising by late fall, but I am not opposed to inclusive resorts either lol. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

The dates are pretty much set in stone.  My travel agent seems to think Celebrity will definitely be cruising by late fall, but I am not opposed to inclusive resorts either lol. 

The all inclusive resort appeals to me, and especially if it is dining dollars that can be used for room service so I can ignore the dining rooms.

I see pictures of luxury "huts" in the Maldives and such, no shared walls with anyone, water, beach, view, someone else does the cooking, and I keep my linens to whole time because there is no reason to waste energy to wash them, and housekeeping can stay away. Just me, my books, maybe some staff paper so I can work on the piano work I have been composing for years and never seem to have time to finish, a file folder of rocket designs and motor specs, some favorite tunes...all by myself.

I have never been on a cruise. I am going to be super duper curious about your solo experience aboard one.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Celebrity is cruising today. I saw it on tv

There are a few ships that have solo cabins, but many make you pay the double rate or close to it for a single in a cabin. I would assume the same is true for all-inclusive resort rooms. I've heard the solo cabins on cruise ships go fast. I have cruised a fair amount, and I would totally do a cruise by myself, though I prefer it with dh. I'm an introvert, and I'd get a balcony room, avoid the dining room, and bring lots of good books. Heaven, lol.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Yeah it sounds like Celebrity is going to be a go. If you pick one of the boats that they're starting with now, should be totally fine. Looks like the Edge fits that. The situation is so fluid with the rest, who knows. And maybe you'd meet Captain Kate! :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, livetoread said:

There are a few ships that have solo cabins,

I think NCL is known for having them, but I'm not sure about their restart.

On the plus side, she can add her cousin later if she realizes she can go.

I haven't done a solo cruise, but I have travelled alone before kids.  It's nice.

I'm not sure a cruise would be my first choice, but it does check the boxes of not doing for others and having others do for you.  🙂

Does the Edge have water slides? I really like water slides. 

I don't know, guess I just like slumming. I picked Carnival because they have bbq on the ships and well we sorta fit in, lol. I like the skyride bike, the ropes course, the family game show night, etc.

But that's probably like tigers, not necessary for everyone.

I love all-inclusive as well, bc I don't have to think about what things cost, but there are ways around that (which can be good if you really want a lot of beach vs just pool and cruise amenities). First, pick a place with of course great pools, lazy river, whatever interests you. Make sure it has several good places to eat within waking distance. Then put a generous amount of food money on a designated pre-paid card so that that dining in now "included" in your vacation ahead of time. 

I think it’s amazing and you should do it. I don’t do cruises but I’m having a few days in Paris by myself 🤞in a month or so after I drop DD off and while I’ve been many times and lived there, it’s always been with kids and I am a little beside myself at the prospect...

• Like 4

I’m so grateful for this thread. I really want to take a vacation by myself. My husband has difficulty comprehending my need for this, so I feel guilty. I was talking to a good friend at church (who also is a counselor) about this and she  told me that most people don’t really understand that some empaths can never be completely relaxed unless they are alone. That’s me. 

So @Mrs Tiggywinkleplease go, and I hope you’ll give us a full trip report!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, marbel said:

Same for me. I’ve been once and have no desire ever to go again. It’s all just so fake and over the top and the crowds on the strip are the antithesis of relaxing. But all inclusive resorts, especially on the beach, or cruises also don’t appeal to me at all, although I’ve never done either. Now the coast or a cabin in the mountains or on a lake with just my dog, definitely yes.

I think you should go for it!

Edited by Frances
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Slache said:

I went in the middle of the school year and there was like no one anywhere, except the casinos. Our pool was the size of a football field and there were never more than 3 people in it. We never went out at night. Maybe it's changed.

Or we just have different tastes for fun and relaxation! Hope you get your trip and it is as good as you remembered it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, popmom said:

I’m so grateful for this thread. I really want to take a vacation by myself. My husband has difficulty comprehending my need for this, so I feel guilty. I was talking to a good friend at church (who also is a counselor) about this and she  told me that most people don’t really understand that some empaths can never be completely relaxed unless they are alone. That’s me. 

So @Mrs Tiggywinkleplease go, and I hope you’ll give us a full trip report!

My husband and I were talking about this last night. I have always needed a lot of solitude. Sometimes I find myself looking  back rather longingly on the days when I was single and, though I had friends, I did so many things alone - movies, eating out, hiking, some traveling. I love my family but I miss that time of being truly in charge of my own time.

He understands it on an intellectual level, but I don't think he fully gets it. Like I think he'd be a little hurt if I wanted to go away overnight by myself. I am not planning anything (we don't have the $$ and I don't have the time really). But I'm starting to feel the pressure of too much family togetherness build LOL. 

• Like 2

Just now, marbel said:

My husband and I were talking about this last night. I have always needed a lot of solitude. Sometimes I find myself looking  back rather longingly on the days when I was single and, though I had friends, I did so many things alone - movies, eating out, hiking, some traveling. I love my family but I miss that time of being truly in charge of my own time.

He understands it on an intellectual level, but I don't think he fully gets it. Like I think he'd be a little hurt if I wanted to go away overnight by myself. I am not planning anything (we don't have the $$ and I don't have the time really). But I'm starting to feel the pressure of too much family togetherness build LOL. 

I went rustic camping by myself for a 24 hour period   could you borrow equipment and swing the rustic camping fee?  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I went rustic camping by myself for a 24 hour period   could you borrow equipment and swing the rustic camping fee?  

That is a lovely idea and we used to camp, and have equipment... and though I miss camping that is not something I'm going to do on my own. I enjoy reading about your and others' camping trips though! 💓

• Like 2