Menu

Baking steel

Amira

I use round stainless steel pizza pans, I got the from Target or Walmart. I usually make pizza in the microwave/convection oven rather than the big oven. In that case it’s important they be round so the pan can turn. I don’t notice a difference in the crust between that & any other type of pan.  If you want a crispier crust it helps to preheat the pan (or stone), but after it’s preheated it pretty much comes out the same.  It’s a bit like pre-heating the cast iron frying pan when making cornbread. 

I do like the stainless pizza pans better than the other ones because I can scrub them with a brillo pad or put them in the dishwasher without worry.  

• Like 1

Are they even heavier than baking stones? We have a stone, and the thing is so stupid heavy and awkward it gets seldom used. That would be the knock to me. I guess if I were smart I'd put the pizza stone in the basement oven and it would be there when I want it. I think Cook's Illustrated did a study and found it needed a solid hour in the oven to heat a ceramic stone properly. Not sure if the metal would be faster or not.

• Like 2

I have no experience, but it seems like it would work. I make my flatbreads in cast iron. Maybe try that first and see how you like it? It would certainly be less expensive. For ice cream, it wouldn’t work for me because I wouldn’t have room in the freezer for it. 

• Like 1

We love our pizza steel but it is sooooo heavy. Ours is a custom made one (friend works at a metal shop and got us the material for free, as it was scrap - we just had to pay for finishing), and with two pieces covers an entire oven shelf.  But I can hardly lift either piece.  It also needs an hour+ to preheat. It gives way better results than a pizza stone.  If it's just me at home without DH, I default to the pizza stone. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bibiche said:

I have no experience, but it seems like it would work. I make my flatbreads in cast iron. Maybe try that first and see how you like it? It would certainly be less expensive. For ice cream, it wouldn’t work for me because I wouldn’t have room in the freezer for it. 

I’ve used a good stone and cast iron but neither really reproduces what a tandoor can do. A friend of mine who does Neapolitan pizza told me that he gets better results with the steel. I’m getting the 14x14 steel because it’ll fit better in the freezer. At least, I really hope it’ll fit. It might be tight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Are they even heavier than baking stones? We have a stone, and the thing is so stupid heavy and awkward it gets seldom used. That would be the knock to me. I guess if I were smart I'd put the pizza stone in the basement oven and it would be there when I want it. I think Cook's Illustrated did a study and found it needed a solid hour in the oven to heat a ceramic stone properly. Not sure if the metal would be faster or not.

The steel takes at least as long to heat and it’s heavier, at least 10 kilos.  Those are definitely drawbacks, but ones I can live with.

1 hour ago, kirstenhill said:

We love our pizza steel but it is sooooo heavy. Ours is a custom made one (friend works at a metal shop and got us the material for free, as it was scrap - we just had to pay for finishing), and with two pieces covers an entire oven shelf.  But I can hardly lift either piece.  It also needs an hour+ to preheat. It gives way better results than a pizza stone.  If it's just me at home without DH, I default to the pizza stone. 

Thanks, this is helpful.  I’m thinking that I can handle the weight right now, although I’m a bit concerned about that.  Maybe I’ll have to work out my arms to make sure I can lift the steel. 😄

7 minutes ago, Amira said:

I’ve used a good stone and cast iron but neither really reproduces what a tandoor can do. A friend of mine who does Neapolitan pizza told me that he gets better results with the steel. I’m getting the 14x14 steel because it’ll fit better in the freezer. At least, I really hope it’ll fit. It might be tight.

Cool. I hope you’ll post a review when you get it. Maybe it’s one more thing that I never knew I needed until I read about it here. 😉 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bibiche said:

Cool. I hope you’ll post a review when you get it. Maybe it’s one more thing that I never knew I needed until I read about it here. 😉 

That’s what these boards are for. I have a Neat steam cleaner now...

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, kirstenhill said:

Ours is custom made also, and agree….very heavy. Takes a long time to preheat. But gives the best bottom crust for NY style pizza. 

• Like 1