Menu

Do you have to limit your kid’s reading time?

This is a new thing in my house. My 11 year old has always been an avid reader but she’s recently reading books at dinner and in the car. I’ve had to put limits on those times since I believe it’s rude to not engage in conversation then. She’s become intensely involved in a few book series so I understand the passion, however being socially adept is important too. Anyone else have this situation? 

• Like 1

And others.

And the worst part is you can't complain about kids reading because everyone tells you it's a good thing. Sure. Yeah, I get that, but having bookworms comes with certain extra problems, and you can't get sympathy for that even from the librarians, who ought to understand the problem!!

Ahem.

So I've allowed reading in the car most of the time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Earthmerlin said:

My 11 year old has always been an avid reader but she’s recently reading books at dinner and in the car. I’ve had to put limits on those times since I believe it’s rude to not engage in conversation then. 

Set the limits. This was me as a child and getting in trouble for "reading too much" did not stifle my love for reading. There are times when reading is inappropriate. It is a good problem to have, but a problem nevertheless.

• Like 5

Yes, but not for social reasons. DS12 has spent too much time with his head in a book or on his kindle this past year, which is increasing his vision problems.  His eye doctor found a thin spot on his retina and advised less time viewing life up close (aka screens and books), and more time outside.  Which sounds nice, except it's 100 F here and the town pool closed down.   😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

We read at all meals except dinner. Dinner is family conversation time. And I frequently have to tell people to quit reading and do whatever! I'm so glad to have this problem. 

I'm so sorry about the vision issue, MissLemon. That breaks my heart. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elroisees said:

I'm so sorry about the vision issue, MissLemon. That breaks my heart. 

Thanks.  It's an exasperating problem to have at this point in time.  The eye doctor said she was seeing more vision issues with kids after the last year. Too much screen time where you are focused on one small area vs outdoor time, where your eyes have a variety of places to focus. 

So now I have to convince a kid that hates outdoor sports and hates the heat that we should go outside and do something when it's 100 degrees and buggy.  😒     

• Sad 2

I do for certain things, but overall no.  Social situations such as a meal eaten all together or short-term visit, I teach them to be present with those around them and encourage them to engage in conversation and/or play.   School work & chores need to be done before pleasure reading, and I do have a lights off for bed or my oldest would be up all night reading.

Visits with family and/or friends that are for a whole day or longer, I do allow the kids to read, but not at meals and when an activity starts I encourage them to participate, sometimes it depends on the activity.

• Like 2