Menu

Would you do a building project in the current economic climate?

cjzimmer1

14 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Thankfully there is no appliances involved in this room.  If there were, I'm probably not even bother because everything I've heard/read on that sounds nightmarish. 

The inflation is definitely a big concern of mine.  And I can't decide if it's worth the gamble to wait or not.  Anyone have a crystal ball?

We actually had the exact opposite problem with appliances. We’re at the tail end of a five year mainly DIY complete home remodel and wanted to order our appliances before the prices went up after Memorial Day. They said it would be several months before they all arrived - three different brands, all our top choices. We found out last week that they are all in. Now we have to convince the store to hold them until our kitchen is done. The last we thing we want is to move them in and set them all up and then have to move them out again when our wood floors are refinished.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I wish I had a quote before this craziness began.  I have no idea how much the price of lumber has changed the overall project so it's hard to assess if it's a big enough portion to delay or not.  It's not a huge room by any means, but because it's raised, there's the extra layer of lumber for the underside plus the support posts so I'm sure it's using quite a bit more lumber than an equivalent room built on concrete.

We've been planning this for ages so dh has been using an online building calculator for rough guesstimates. 

Here 2x4s went up in price at least 3x the cost of a year ago(from around $2-to $7) and OSB went from $7 ish to $40+ a sheet, for our project we'd need 70 sheets. That is a $3k increase just for that one aspect. We also have plenty of 2x4s needed and various other things.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 1