Menu

Haircut

Elizabeth86

Just now, mommyoffive said:

That is a ton of hair.  It has to feel so good right now.  Are you donating it? 

Odd and I just had dh cut a ton of our hair too.  I love it.   I should stop going so long btwn cuts.

It feels great and yes I am donating. My last haircut was in 2018. lol

• Like 4

Just now, Elizabeth86 said:

It feels great and yes I am donating. My last haircut was in 2018. lol

That is a long time.  I don't even remember when my last one was.  For sure before covid.  I end up going so long btwn cuts, hate having super long hair, then cutting it short and liking it.  Repeat.   I need to keep it short.  Short for me is still a little longer than shoulder length.

I've had one haircut since 2011.  For some reason, my hair stopped growing.  I'm afraid to get it cut too short in case it never grows back.  I do desperately need the ends at least trimmed and a nice style.  

Nice donation!  🙂  My dd donated 14 inches a few years ago.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I've had one haircut since 2011.  For some reason, my hair stopped growing.  I'm afraid to get it cut too short in case it never grows back.  I do desperately need the ends at least trimmed and a nice style.  

Nice donation!  🙂  My dd donated 14 inches a few years ago.  

Wow! Any thoughts why it has quit growing? I’ve never heard of that.

10 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Wow! Any thoughts why it has quit growing? I’ve never heard of that.

I have no idea!  I recently found out that I have hypothalamus dysfunction, so maybe it's related to that?  But a friend of mine pointed out that everyone must have a stopping point with hair growth - for example, the hair on our legs wouldn't just keep growing and growing.  I don't know...it's definitely weird.  

ETA - I don't think I've had the hypothalamus dysfunction for 10 years, so it probably isn't that after all.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I've had one haircut since 2011.  For some reason, my hair stopped growing.  I'm afraid to get it cut too short in case it never grows back.

Scalp treatment has helped for my bald patch after chemo. I had two bald patches and one patch looks normal already while the more stubborn patch is slowly growing back.

I bought this on sale at Nordstrom Rack so I tried it as I have a flaky and sensitive scalp

https://www.amazon.com/Jane-Carter-Scalp-Nourishing-Serum/dp/B0012NZA04

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I have no idea!  I recently found out that I have hypothalamus dysfunction, so maybe it's related to that?  But a friend of mine pointed out that everyone must have a stopping point with hair growth - for example, the hair on our legs wouldn't just keep growing and growing.  I don't know...it's definitely weird.  

ETA - I don't think I've had the hypothalamus dysfunction for 10 years, so it probably isn't that after all.

Everyone has a point at which their hair length stops increasing.  If you look at Sikh women, for example, there's a point at which their hair stops growing.  Sikh grandmothers don't have longer hair than Sikh teenagers, for example.  Basically, whatever length your hair get before they fall out and a new one starts growing, on average, is how long your hair will get to. For different people, it's different lengths.  For me, it's about the bottom of my shoulder blades.

Has it stopped at a particularly short point, or shorter than it used to be?  Or has it actually stopped growing -- e.g. you dyed it and no roots started to show, or it's getting thinner and thinner as it grows longer.  

5 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Everyone has a point at which their hair length stops increasing.  If you look at Sikh women, for example, there's a point at which their hair stops growing.  Sikh grandmothers don't have longer hair than Sikh teenagers, for example.  Basically, whatever length your hair get before they fall out and a new one starts growing, on average, is how long your hair will get to. For different people, it's different lengths.  For me, it's about the bottom of my shoulder blades.

Has it stopped at a particularly short point, or shorter than it used to be?  Or has it actually stopped growing -- e.g. you dyed it and no roots started to show, or it's getting thinner and thinner as it grows longer.  

Fascinating. I didn’t realize. Mine was covering my bum when I got it cut. I’m curious what my stopping point is.

8 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Mine is probably about the same length as yours - bottom of my shoulder blades.  Sometimes I'd like to get it cut to shoulder length, but I'm afraid it would be too short for me and it wouldn't grow back.  I don't color my hair (yet) so I don't know if it's actually stopped growing - good question.  I bet it's what you described above - just that the hair length stopped increasing.  

8 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

You haven't just been randomly cutting your own hair for a year?  How very civilized of you.

I might have except this is the norm for me to go about 2 years between haircuts. I contemplated actually shaving my head at one point because when would I ever get the chance? I figured it was too late in the pandemic, but looking back it probably wasn’t lol

Interesting, I didn't know the thing about a set hair length either.  Mine will grow from shoulder length to waist length in about a year.   Lately I've been doing the high ponytail to cut layers myself.  I like it long but it's very heavy and gives me headaches and neckaches when it's really long.   I kind of hate going to the beauty parlor and my hair is wavy enough that any mistakes aren't noticeable when it's dry.  

Both my daughters have had hair long enough to sit on in the past.  Older dd is about hip length now, younger dd recently cut hers off to something like a slightly long pixie.     Ds has hair that just hits his waist when it's wet.  Dry it's about shoulder length, his hair is super curly.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

Mine is probably about the same length as yours - bottom of my shoulder blades.  Sometimes I'd like to get it cut to shoulder length, but I'm afraid it would be too short for me and it wouldn't grow back.  I don't color my hair (yet) so I don't know if it's actually stopped growing - good question.  I bet it's what you described above - just that the hair length stopped increasing.  

So, do you have hair falling out? Like you find some strands on your brush or on the couch cushions?  If you do, and your hair isn’t getting thinner then you must be growing new hairs, I would think. 

I like my hair around my shoulders.  I usually get it cut every year or so, but if I skip a year then I know where it will stop growing.  Covid has actually led to more haircuts for me because my SIL offered to do it.

55 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

So, do you have hair falling out? Like you find some strands on your brush or on the couch cushions?  If you do, and your hair isn’t getting thinner then you must be growing new hairs, I would think. 

LOL, I find hair everywhere!  😛  You're right - I'd be bald if no new hair had grown in for the past ten years! My hair is pretty thin and fine, though.

1 hour ago, Wheres Toto said:

Interesting, I didn't know the thing about a set hair length either.  Mine will grow from shoulder length to waist length in about a year.   Lately I've been doing the high ponytail to cut layers myself.  I like it long but it's very heavy and gives me headaches and neckaches when it's really long.   I kind of hate going to the beauty parlor and my hair is wavy enough that any mistakes aren't noticeable when it's dry.  

Both my daughters have had hair long enough to sit on in the past.  Older dd is about hip length now, younger dd recently cut hers off to something like a slightly long pixie.     Ds has hair that just hits his waist when it's wet.  Dry it's about shoulder length, his hair is super curly.  

Wow!  That is really, really curly!

I am so looking forward to doing this. Sadly, my hair is still just a little too short to donate. It should be long enough in about 3 more months. And seriously, that haircut will be one of the best days of my life, after marriage and kids. 

I hate long hair. It's completely unflattering on me. And I have super thick hair (multiple hairpeople have told me it's the thickest they've ever seen), which means it's really heavy. And I constantly have to brush it to keep it looking nice. Or I have to put it up (more effort), and it's even more unflattering pulled back than long and down. And then all that weight is concentrated in one place. Blah...as hard as I've tried I can't find even one hald decent thing about long hair. And, what the heck are you supposed to do with it when brewing TeA? It's all in my face (can't stand that) or getting tangled or yanked accidentally. Oh, and the shedding. Shedding long hair is so gross. I notice it constantly. When my hair is short, I can't remember ever noticing my shedding hair. 

Short hair? Wash and go. No need for constant brushing. I spend less than 2 minutes on it outside of showering per day. And it looks good! 

Grow faster, hair!

Compare that to my mom, who desperately has always wanted long hair. But hers won't grow past her shoulders. Actually, it won't even quite get to her shoulders. And she really would like it too.

3 hours ago, Junie said:

Wow!  That is really, really curly!

I know!  It surprises me every time I see it wet. 

45 minutes ago, barnwife said:

I am so looking forward to doing this. Sadly, my hair is still just a little too short to donate. It should be long enough in about 3 more months. And seriously, that haircut will be one of the best days of my life, after marriage and kids. 

I hate long hair. It's completely unflattering on me. And I have super thick hair (multiple hairpeople have told me it's the thickest they've ever seen), which means it's really heavy. And I constantly have to brush it to keep it looking nice. Or I have to put it up (more effort), and it's even more unflattering pulled back than long and down. And then all that weight is concentrated in one place. Blah...as hard as I've tried I can't find even one hald decent thing about long hair. And, what the heck are you supposed to do with it when brewing TeA? It's all in my face (can't stand that) or getting tangled or yanked accidentally. Oh, and the shedding. Shedding long hair is so gross. I notice it constantly. When my hair is short, I can't remember ever noticing my shedding hair. 

Short hair? Wash and go. No need for constant brushing. I spend less than 2 minutes on it outside of showering per day. And it looks good! 

Grow faster, hair!

Compare that to my mom, who desperately has always wanted long hair. But hers won't grow past her shoulders. Actually, it won't even quite get to her shoulders. And she really would like it too.

I have a ton of very thick, wavy hair and short hair is much much harder for me to deal with.    I need the weight to keep it from sticking straight out in all directions.   It is heavy unless I cut long layers into it, which I can do myself along with bangs.   I generally wash and pull it into a low ponytail.   Any shorter than mid-back/bra strap length and it would require blow drying and straighteners to keep it under control and I absolutely know I'm not going to do that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barnwife said:

I hate long hair. It's completely unflattering on me. And I have super thick hair (multiple hairpeople have told me it's the thickest they've ever seen), which means it's really heavy. And I constantly have to brush it to keep it looking nice. Or I have to put it up (more effort), and it's even more unflattering pulled back than long and down. And then all that weight is concentrated in one place. Blah...as hard as I've tried I can't find even one hald decent thing about long hair

I find bridal hairstylists the best for getting my thick wavy and unruly hair into looking flattering. They do cut layers to make my hair less heavy (and less looking like a lion’s mane) and also to make use of the waves. Sometimes I ask the hairstylists to add highlights.

43 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I have a ton of very thick, wavy hair and short hair is much much harder for me to deal with.    I need the weight to keep it from sticking straight out in all directions.   It is heavy unless I cut long layers into it, which I can do myself along with bangs.   

DS15 does that too. My husband is the only one that can’t cut his own hair and he is the only one with straight hair. I just use a hair clipper for his crew cut. 

Oh man this thread just reminded me of a crazy dream I had the other night.  I woke up from a nap and someone had given me bangs!  Hideous short pulp fiction bangs.  The rest of  my hair was long and dark and straight with no grey .  

I definitely do not want bangs.

19 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

That is a long time.  I don't even remember when my last one was.  For sure before covid.  I end up going so long btwn cuts, hate having super long hair, then cutting it short and liking it.  Repeat.   I need to keep it short.  Short for me is still a little longer than shoulder length.

I go as long as possible and then hand DH the scissors. Usually 2ish years in between or so. 

• Like 1