Menu

What is your first response when you see a Confederate flag displayed?

MercyA

Perception of Confederate flag symbol  

172 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think when you see a Confederate flag displayed on someone's personal property (a t-shirt, a bumper sticker, a home flag pole)? Please choose the option that most closely fits your first reaction.

• They are racist.
    • They are proud of their southern heritage.
    • They are dangerous and/or deliberately trying to intimidate minorities.
    • They are white supremacists.
    • They are ill-informed or uneducated.
    • Obligatory other (please explain).
    • All of the above.

3 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

I know LOTS of WW2 collectors. It's more likely the flag would have ended up with a collector or reenactor than a skinhead. Someone earlier said there's no innocent reason to have a Nazi flag, but collectors have them (but they don't display them on their pickup trucks!!) Did your museum take the donation?

Of course we did!

It was just hilarious when the guy stopped himself and said "wait let me explain" ... we had a Zero visit once... man do I want that plane in our hangars (and a Messerschmitt)..

• Like 2

On 6/23/2021 at 12:53 AM, MissLemon said:

I became the owner of a WWII German army mess hall gravy boat. It was in a box of random stuff I bought at an estate auction.  I had no clue it was in there until I started digging through the box.  Pulled it out, turned it over, and saw the swastika on the bottom. Whoa...what the heck do I do with this?!  I looked around for some place ethical/not sketchy to offload it, but I never found anywhere that didn't make me feel dirty.  I ended up destroying it with a hammer rather than chance it getting into the hands of some skinhead who thought it would be "fun" to serve gravy at Christmas in it.  😠 

I told some of the WW2 collectors I know about this and they said some *extremely* uncomplimentary things about someone who would destroy this kind of historical artifact. That gravy boat would probably have sold to a collector for at least $400 or $500 and if it was brought back by a WW2 vet, it would be even more valuable to a collector. Somehow I seriously doubt skinheads are out spending hundreds on gravy boats (or even original Nazi flags). As theelfqueen said, her WW2 museum was happy to accept a Nazi flag, so if you ever come across something like that again, PLEASE donate it instead of destroying it! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

I told some of the WW2 collectors I know about this and they said some *extremely* uncomplimentary things about someone who would destroy this kind of historical artifact. That gravy boat would probably have sold to a collector for at least $400 or $500 and if it was brought back by a WW2 vet, it would be even more valuable to a collector. Somehow I seriously doubt skinheads are out spending hundreds on gravy boats (or even original Nazi flags). As theelfqueen said, her WW2 museum was happy to accept a Nazi flag, so if you ever come across something like that again, PLEASE donate it instead of destroying it! 

It's funny how when I was actively trying to find somewhere to offload this thing, people had all sorts of opinions about someone who would seek to profit off of "historical artifacts", especially Nazi items. 

Lots of opinions on the sort of person that would collect that sort of thing, too, and why would I want to encourage something as creepy as that? 

I'll add your WWII pals opinions to the stack of opinions on the matter. 

Skinheads spend a heck of a lot of money on their "collection".  It's not unbelievable one of them would pony up  cash for it.  And no, it wasn't worth $400 or $500. I showed pics to museums and people in the know on these sorts of things, and it was worth about $75 and not considered a significant item.  No one above-board wanted it. 

2 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

It's funny how when I was actively trying to find somewhere to offload this thing, people had all sorts of opinions about someone who would seek to profit off of "historical artifacts", especially Nazi items. 

Lots of opinions on the sort of person that would collect that sort of thing, too, and why would I want to encourage something as creepy as that? 

I'll add your WWII pals opinions to the stack of opinions on the matter. 

Skinheads spend a heck of a lot of money on their "collection".  It's not unbelievable one of them would pony up  cash for it.  And no, it wasn't worth $400 or $500. I showed pics to museums and people in the know on these sorts of things, and it was worth about $75 and not considered a significant item.  No one above-board wanted it. 

When was this? Was it a long time ago? That's what those kinds of things are going for right now at military shows. WW2 collectors, especially those who like to collect German items, are a niche group and often don't advertise their hobby too broadly because people think bad things about them and assume they aren't "above board". I know lots of "the sort of people who would collect that sort of thing" and there's nothing "creepy" about them. They're history lovers who like to educate themselves and others about all aspects of the war. 

12 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

When was this? Was it a long time ago? That's what those kinds of things are going for right now at military shows. WW2 collectors, especially those who like to collect German items, are a niche group and often don't advertise their hobby too broadly because people think bad things about them and assume they aren't "above board". I know lots of "the sort of people who would collect that sort of thing" and there's nothing "creepy" about them. They're history lovers who like to educate themselves and others about all aspects of the war. 

Two years ago. 

I'm not really interested in arguing with you or your pals about the supposed value of an item that none of you have even seen a picture of.  How could you possibly know it's value or potential "historical value" without having seen it? You don't know the maker, the condition, the year it was made, or if it can even be attributed to a particular regiment of men.  (spoiler: it can't be attributed to anywhere and the condition was poor. That's why it has no value.   Museums aren't interested in every piece of old junk that someone brings in). 

What kind of history lesson can be planned around a chipped, plain white, WWII German enlisted army gravy boat that can't be taught in some other way?  

I've been a reseller of all sorts of things for over 10 years. I know how to do my homework.  Not everything old has monetary or historical value.  

Edited by MissLemon
  • Confused 1