Menu

self-paced 3D modeling/design for summer?

I'm looking for something for my soon to be 14 year old. Can anyone suggest a good program? I am not very techie and am unlikely to be able to help. His cousins might be able to, but they are not local. So hopefully something where he can get support too?

Thank you so much.

My 13yo is doing this class through Outschool now and is learning a lot — 

Computer-Aided Drafting (CAD) and Engineering Design with Autodesk Fusion 360 

The instructor is Sally Morris. She offers it as a flex week (pre-recorded) and as a five day camp as well.  She’s super helpful and willing to set up extra times outside of class to help if kids get stuck. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Farrar said:

Is there a particular software you want? Udemy has a lot of good options for this.

I wondered about Udemy.  We don't have anything presently, so I guess we are pretty open. Maybe we should just look at the courses and see if something appeals? 

3 hours ago, cintinative said:

I wondered about Udemy.  We don't have anything presently, so I guess we are pretty open. Maybe we should just look at the courses and see if something appeals? 

That's a good idea. Mushroom is interested in 3D design for video games so he's using Blender - which is also what you'd use if you were interested in animation or possibly just general art and design on the computer 3D stuff. But if you're interested in 3D design for engineering or (I think) for architecture, then you want CAD Autodesk. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

That's a good idea. Mushroom is interested in 3D design for video games so he's using Blender - which is also what you'd use if you were interested in animation or possibly just general art and design on the computer 3D stuff. But if you're interested in 3D design for engineering or (I think) for architecture, then you want CAD Autodesk. 

is he using Udemy to learn Blender? I was just looking at those today. I think that my kid will be more interested in Blender than the other for sure. He's very into gaming--I need to convince him that it is interesting to learn the design end of animation. 😃

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cintinative said:

is he using Udemy to learn Blender? I was just looking at those today. I think that my kid will be more interested in Blender than the other for sure. He's very into gaming--I need to convince him that it is interesting to learn the design end of animation. 😃

Yep. He has the course that's got the most reviews - it was a ton. I'm not sure how easy or hard it is though - my kid has a lot of experience with Adobe suite and Affinity design products already.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Yep. He has the course that's got the most reviews - it was a ton. I'm not sure how easy or hard it is though - my kid has a lot of experience with Adobe suite and Affinity design products already.

Okay, I *swear* the course was $40 yesterday and today it is $149.99. Do I need to check Udemy every day or something? 

4 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Okay, I *swear* the course was $40 yesterday and today it is $149.99. Do I need to check Udemy every day or something? 

They have an algorithm that changes the prices all the time. Bah. Try it from a different computer.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

@Farrar and @cintinative  Did your kids do any of the udemy courses?  I'm looking at the Fusion for Beginners course. It's normally $99 and the coupon brings it down to $14.99 which seems too good of a price to be worth anything? 

My son has not yet, but I wouldn't let the price discourage you. I bought Latin courses for that price (each) and they were good. I think they hike prices and mark them down regularly.  Farrar will hopefully know. 

My son might be starting his course soon. Might.  That's another thread.  😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kristin0713 said:

@Farrar and @cintinative  Did your kids do any of the udemy courses?  I'm looking at the Fusion for Beginners course. It's normally $99 and the coupon brings it down to $14.99 which seems too good of a price to be worth anything? 

My kid is a little ways into... whatever is that most popular Udemy course on Blender. He's juggling a bunch of stuff for school, but he really had to finish it because I've put it down for a credit for him and sent his transcript out. So. He says it's pretty good though. And he's picky.

• Like 1