Menu

how to recover quickly from having wisdom teeth pulled???

kfeusse

Search here for previous threads on wisdom teeth.  In a nutshell:

Ice face 20 min on, 20 min off for 1st day, 2nd day if she's willing.  Prevents or reduces facial swelling, pain. Ice packs, frozen peas, etc.

Don't use straws. Can cause dry socket.

Keep a written schedule for pain meds and follow it for 24-48 hours.

• Like 1

The oral surgeon should give advice, as well. DD19 had hers out at 16, and it took longer than we expected for her to fully recover. She had them out on a Thursday, I think (maybe Friday), and she didn't go back to school until the next Wednesday. I had to insist that she try to go, and she called and had me bring her back home that day. It was about a week until she felt back to normal.

We were surprised by that. The oral surgeon said to expect about four days -- with the procedure on Thursday, most people can go back to school or work on Monday. But it just took DD longer. Some people bounce right back and feel better generally in a couple of days, even while their mouth is still healing. You really can't totally predict. For DD, it was September, and we didn't want her to miss so much school and ballet practice at the beginning of the school year, so we were careful to try everything to make the recovery go better, but she just took a long time.

So do what you can. But also, don't be surprised if it takes longer than you expect. It may be a week before athletes feel like they can participate in practice, even if they feel well enough to do other things.

• Like 3

So much depends on the condition of the wisdom teeth (size, direction they are coming, etc.) that it's tough to predict.

My dd was a mess right after her oral surgery, but bounced back really quickly and was eating solid food within a day. My 2 ds's were also quick to recover. All their wisdom teeth were fairly small and coming in pretty normally, though.

My daughter just got hers out today.  The oral surgeon said to just give them the recommended pain medication for the first day every four hours as suggested and then just as needed.  I am a big proponent of kids not being in pain after medical procedures so I will give medication that is prescribed.  She's my last one of my four to get them out.  She's doing pretty well right now and just inhaled a bowl of mac and cheese.  Hers hadn't fully developed roots yet were starting to get near nerves and they were all impacted.  I also make sure to keep the ice packs coming like others have suggested.  All of my kids did pretty well.  

Keep up pain meds, and fluids, and food, even if it is just very soft or liquidy.

I think all 3 of these are so important and related. Kids might not want to eat but Sometimes the pain meds without food can make you sick... so the they skip the meds and food...then they’re in too much pain to even drink and get dehydrated! Calories from food is needed to help heal and recover.

Also, begin the rinsing regimen as soon as directed and keep it up.

best wishes for a quick recovery!

• Like 2

Everything said here already 

try to sleep sitting up - maybe in a recliner 

Do the swishing and cleaning as directed our youngest dd had a terrible time with hers. She neglected to tell me that she had run out of salt so she just did not do it... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kfeusse said:

That's a new one.  Canned or fresh?

I would think raw is best if you have it available. I honestly can't remember which we used. A friend had advised me of this before oldest had her wisdom teeth removed. She did still have some swelling and bruising. Perhaps it would have been worse without the pineapple. Youngest who loves pineapple anyway had less swelling and really no bruising. The link below offers more info. Hope your daughter's surgery goes well.

https://grownandflown.com/teens-wisdom-teeth-pulled-best-ten-survival-tips/

7 minutes ago, Fritz said:

I would think raw is best if you have it available. I honestly can't remember which we used. A friend had advised me of this before oldest had her wisdom teeth removed. She did still have some swelling and bruising. Perhaps it would have been worse without the pineapple. Youngest who loves pineapple anyway had less swelling and really no bruising. The link below offers more info. Hope your daughter's surgery goes well.

https://grownandflown.com/teens-wisdom-teeth-pulled-best-ten-survival-tips/

she can't eat raw fruit....she has an allergic reaction...so that is out.  But I will look at this link...and see what else they say. 

Following along…

DS is scheduled to get his out at the end of the month. He’s training up to run cross country at university in the fall, and planning to lifeguard at a pool this summer. We'll definitely need to do all the things to make sure he doesn’t get too derailed.

I had two kids - basically did the same for both. One did fine, basically eating regular food quickly. Other, it took a week - but she developed a dry socket (we didn't use any straws but the oral surgeon also said those are okay now). 

Our oral surgeon doesn't give you the script for the pain meds until you are out the door, so you need, IMHO, another driver to run and get those. We had one person stay with patient and help remove the cotton padding/replace with new for the two hours that the surgeon recommended. 

Keep up on the pain meds, do the icing the first couple of days, take it easy.  If patient starts having worse pain, do NOT wait to see if it will get better like one of mine did. After they treated the dry socket, she was so much better. 

5 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Our oral surgeon doesn't give you the script for the pain meds until you are out the door, so you need, IMHO, another driver to run and get those. We had one person stay with patient and help remove the cotton padding/replace with new for the two hours that the surgeon recommended. 

I hate that so many doctors don't give you a prescription until after a procedure or hospital discharge  (even though I understand it).  It's such a hassle.  With us, we had the prescription called in and the patient stayed in the car while the driver ran in to pick up the Rx.  I guess it would be even better with a drive through pharmacy.  

21 hours ago, pinball said:

Keep up pain meds, and fluids, and food, even if it is just very soft or liquidy.

I think all 3 of these are so important and related. Kids might not want to eat but Sometimes the pain meds without food can make you sick... so the they skip the meds and food...then they’re in too much pain to even drink and get dehydrated! Calories from food is needed to help heal and recover.

Also, begin the rinsing regimen as soon as directed and keep it up.

best wishes for a quick recovery!

Yes, the pain meds without enough food can make you sick. My poor guy didn’t eat enough and lost his lunch from the pain meds.  The last thing you want to do is lose your lunch after having your teeth pulled out. It was pretty awful for him.  Poor guy.

• Sad 1

Second dd recovered a lot faster than her older sister, but the roots were smaller on her teeth. Also older dd did not do well on the  prescription pain med (I think it was oxycontin)--made her dizzy and nauseous, and it took us awhile to figure out it was the pain med and not the procedure itself. So second dd cycled between Advil and Tylenol only.

• Like 1