Menu

Hive Mind: Can you give me an example of a foible?

Hyacinth

I'm trying to come up with a good illustration for the word foible (defined as a largely harmless weakness or quirk).

I thought of Sheldon Cooper's triple knock on Penny's door, but I don't want to confuse OCD behaviors with foibles.

Google gave me someone who chews with their mouth open. I don't like that example.

Anyone have a better example? 

• interrupting someone speaking
  • gambling, drinking, etc. if it is not in the addiction arena
  • laziness (eg: garden always needs weeding or bed is never made for no other reason than "I don't want to")
  • never turning off the light when you leave a room or sleeping with the TV/radio on
  • sloppy speech (eg: "Can I" instead of "May I" or "Irregardless")

Would any of these work as an example? And now that I have thought about foibles for a minute or two, I'd like to say that foible is one of those words that doesn't sound like a word the more you use it. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, historically accurate said:
  • laziness (eg: garden always needs weeding or bed is never made for no other reason than "I don't want to")
  • never turning off the light when you leave a room or sleeping with the TV/radio on

Would any of these work as an example? And now that I have thought about foibles for a minute or two, I'd like to say that foible is one of those words that doesn't sound like a word the more you use it. 

Right? Foy-bul. Foy-bul. Foy-bul. What am I even saying anymore???

Those are good examples! I like the interrupting and the sloppy speech, especially. Thanks!

Edited by Hyacinth
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

OMG. I'm a foible.

• Like 2
  • Haha 16

I knew an elderly lady who insisted on collecting all of the tissue paper at bridal or baby showers.  She would ask the bride/mom for the tissue paper, smooth out the wrinkles, fold it, and then take all of it home at the end of the party.  It was her quirk, and we all smiled about it, but it was kind of weird.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Junie said:

I knew an elderly lady who insisted on collecting all of the tissue paper at bridal or baby showers.  She would ask the bride/mom for the tissue paper, smooth out the wrinkles, fold it, and then take all of it home at the end of the party.  It was her quirk, and we all smiled about it, but it was kind of weird.

I don't insist...but family members at occasions know that I'll happily take home gift tissue paper rather than see it crumpled and thrown out. Call it my foible.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Junie said:

I knew an elderly lady who insisted on collecting all of the tissue paper at bridal or baby showers.  She would ask the bride/mom for the tissue paper, smooth out the wrinkles, fold it, and then take all of it home at the end of the party.   

A perfect example. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 2:12 PM, Hyacinth said:

I'm trying to come up with a good illustration for the word foible (defined as a largely harmless weakness or quirk).

I thought of Sheldon Cooper's triple knock on Penny's door, but I don't want to confuse OCD behaviors with foibles.

Google gave me someone who chews with their mouth open. I don't like that example.

Anyone have a better example? 

My daughter twists a strand of her hair. It is distracting because it’s not particularly slow or random. It’s more self soothing. I suspect this might be an example?

I have a few quirks -- I believe I'll start calling them foibles because I like the sound of that. 

(Here's one: if I'm out in public and someone walks by me, I'll often hold my breath because I don't want to breathe their air. I suppose it's a good thing I don't live in a crowded city...) 😐

Edited by alisoncooks

On 6/19/2021 at 8:44 AM, Halftime Hope said:

Nah, a foible is something that is a unique, harmless, quirk or failing in one's character. It's that thing people have to put up with, when otherwise you're a mensch.  

"My boss' foible is story-telling. Meetings drag on while he tells a story." 

That’s how I define it, too. 

I was thinking, for example, someone who never puts his car keys in the same place, such that every time he needs them, it takes him ten minutes to find them. It doesn’t typically hurt anything, but life would be better if they trained themselves to always hang the key on the hook.

Another car-related foible is the person who constantly puts off re-fueling, so that eventually, you can’t go anywhere until you hit the gas station 3 miles off. 

• Haha 1