Menu

IEW Advice Needed

Meadowlark

I am trying to make a decision. Here are my choices:

1. Buy SSS Level A and do it with my 4th and 5th graders next year (followed by year 2)

OR

2. Wait and start IEW SSS Level B when they get into middle school (already purchased).

The dilemma is, I keep reading about how formal writing is not needed until middle school. So that would certainly save me some money and time. But then I’ll read a random post about the more years with IEW the better, so I’m conflicted.  Your responses will probably decide this so thanks in advance for your help!

4th and 5th grade is a perfect time to do SSS Level A.  I've done that twice and it went really well.  I don't think of IEW as formal writing in the way people are using it.  IEW is perfect for building a foundation for children to use.  If money is a huge thing, however, you could wait and do B next year with your 5th and 6th grader.  I did B with a reluctant writing fifth grader and it went just fine.  You could also just use B next year and take it slowly.  Both A and B start at the beginning and B just expects to move a bit faster through.  At one time you could get the A handouts to go with the B if you were doing that.  They are a bit easier reading than the B.  You want the texts they use to be easy for them so that they can work on the writing, not worry about comprehension.

Ok, I don't think that that is much help other than to give you more options.

• Haha 1

We tried IEW in 3rd, but it wasn't a good fit for us then and we chose to use Writeshop during the elementary years.  Now that ODS is in middle school he chose to do IEW and I think it's a better fit.  He grew with an enjoyment of writing using Writeshop and now he'll learn more technical writing with IEW.