Menu

Need help from Nashville folks- Update!

teachermom2834

It isn’t a done deal but there is a strong possibility my 21 yo will need to relocate quickly from Florida to Nashville for a job. He really wants this so we are all nervously awaiting the outcome but in the meantime I am thinking through what is going to be a challenging move. He is in FL but we are near Chattanooga so we will be close enough to help him out and will likely jump in the car and scope out apartments without him. 

We are totally unfamiliar with Nashville. He potentially will be working in the area near the baseball and football stadiums. My Google tells me that is Germantown?  We know the costs and traffic are going to be real issues and obviously we want to minimize both but we know this isn’t going to be cheap or easy. 

He is not at all fancy and can fit all his belongings in his car. He can rough it going to a laundry mat, etc. 

Can anyone point me in any direction as far as an area to start looking? Any areas to absolutely avoid? It’s an entry level job and he is 21, so obviously the budget is limited. That said, he is only 21, and we want him in a relatively safe area and set up to be successful, so the budget will be what it needs to be to have something reasonable. We intend to help him out, guarantee the lease, etc. (This part is JAWM! Please don’t derail my thread shaming me for helping my adult son). 

Any tips for where to start looking for an apartment would be great. Also I anticipate short term housing will be necessary in the transition so suggestions for that are welcome too. We have been lucky with our kids falling into easy and cheap housing situations so this is our first time down this road trying to get a young adult set up in an urban area. So all tips welcome (just no shaming for helping him!)

As of right now he doesn’t have the job offer, so we might, sadly, not need to act. But if he does get it, he will be packing his car and heading north so it will be fast. So I’m trying yo get a bit of a head start. 

UPDATE- I updated in the last post but he did get moved in and is in his third day on the job! 🙂

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Bumping because now he has the job and has to be there in ten days. Yay! And OMG…where are you going to live?!! 

Life with young adults is fun! Lol

Congratulations!  Nashville looks like a wonderful city - I have several friends who live in the area.   I hope he loves it! 

My ds2 leased an apartment six hours away on a Friday and moved to his new apartment on Saturday or Sunday (I forgot which) and started his new job on Monday.  Yes, living with young adults can be...fun.  😛

• Like 1

There is a where to move/where to avoid link on the right hand side of the Nashville subreddit.

i know reddit can be a cesspool in lots of places but I do like some of their city and state subreddits.

https://old.reddit.com/r/nashville/

My other suggestion would be to call Nashville chamber of commerce 

https://www.nashvillechamber.com/explore/live/relocate

Edited by pinball
Put left, meant right

Also, I think there many many more people on the board who help their kids out than are willing to say.

It’s unfortunate that the tone here is that our kids although they are legal adults should be able to handle and execute such things as a cross country move by themselves. 

That is a big job, and if you are able to help, I think that’s wonderful. Help in any way is wonderful: money, logistics, research, financial support and/or physical support (ie loading the car or moving van!).

good luck to him

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Bumping because now he has the job and has to be there in ten days. Yay! And OMG…where are you going to live?!! 

Life with young adults is fun! Lol

Oh wow, congrats to him.  I have heard such great things about Nashville.  So crazy that the has to be there in 10 days.   I would look at apartment complexes.  Maybe they would be able to let him move in fast?   Could he do a short term stay at long term stay hotel?  Maybe he would have an easier time moving into something on the 1st?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh wow, congrats to him.  I have heard such great things about Nashville.  So crazy that the has to be there in 10 days.   I would look at apartment complexes.  Maybe they would be able to let him move in fast?   Could he do a short term stay at long term stay hotel?  Maybe he would have an easier time moving into something on the 1st?  

Yes to everything. We are exploring all possibilities!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

I am glad you are able to help him.  Even just doing the extra research is so helpful.  Is he wanting his own place or with a shared house or apartment? 

Well he would love to have his own place but a shared apartment or house would be more budget friendly for sure. We are exploring it all.

• Like 1

The Chattanooga Nashville drive is not bad at all.  At least not in warmish weather. Just have to watch out for mountain weather in winter as you go over Monteagle. 

Is he a church going young man? If so, I'd get involved in one right away and he may quickly be able to network and find roomates and such. Nashville church people are really great. My (legally blind) brother moved to Nashville without knowing a soul there and quickly made friend and contacts through his church. They have been so supportive of him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

The Chattanooga Nashville drive is not bad at all.  At least not in warmish weather. Just have to watch out for mountain weather in winter as you go over Monteagle. 

Is he a church going young man? If so, I'd get involved in one right away and he may quickly be able to network and find roomates and such. Nashville church people are really great. My (legally blind) brother moved to Nashville without knowing a soul there and quickly made friend and contacts through his church. They have been so supportive of him.

Oh well in that case, could he live with you until he finds a place?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

No it isn’t a bad day trip but too long to commute. Like 2.5 hours.

Is that roundtrip?  Of course not ideal, but before covid I was doing that 7 days a week for an activity.   I don't recommend it as the commuting sucks.  But if it was for a week or so.  

• 2 weeks later...

Update: he is moved into an apartment and is on his third day of work. We had him moved in nine days post job offer. 

So that was kind of crazy but seems to have worked out for now. Oh to be young and able to relocate your life and all your possessions in nine days! Haha. 

Thanks for the help and encouragement!

• Like 15

• teachermom2834 changed the title to Need help from Nashville folks- Update!