Menu

Top surgery for young person

Ginevra

44 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom said:

Here is the study linked which quotes the 35 percent: 

Thanks. That's what I was wondering, if they had a specific threshold vs just 'autistic traits.' 

It is inevitable that the future will show that we made many mistakes along the way, but some of them are inescapable (we simply lack knowledge and are doing the best we can) while others are more avoidable (acting with certainty on important decisions when we don't actually have anything even approaching certainty). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, katilac said:

That's not super relevant, though. My daughter had a crew cut in high school. 

Musing: What does it look like to treat a two-year-old as the opposite gender of their biological sex? For that matter, what does it look like to treat a two-year-old as their biological sex? Is it okay to let a natal male grow out long curls and wear a dress, but not okay to let them refer to themselves as a girl? Is it okay (or best) to allow them to refer themselves as a girl, but not okay (or not best) to do it yourself? Again, musing, because the part I bolded really struck me: what does it even mean to treat a toddler as a certain gender? A baby? 

"Autistic traits" is a mighty big umbrella, though. Everyone in my household has autistic traits. How do they define it? 

Well, if you ask Dr Diane Ehrensaft Director of Mental Health of Child and Adolescent Gender Center at UC, pre-verbal children can tell you their gender by pulling barettes out of their hair, or unsnapping their onesies into a dress.

Which, is pretty unsettling to me...

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

9 minutes ago, LMD said:

Well, if you ask Dr Diane Ehrensaft Director of Mental Health of Child and Adolescent Gender Center at UC, pre-verbal children can tell you their gender by pulling barettes out of their hair, or unsnapping their onesies into a dress.

My daughter could never stand barrettes or anything in her hair as a baby.  She’s not at all a girly girl, but I’m pretty sure that pulling stuff out of her hair had more to do with a really sensitive scalp.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, LMD said:

In which case all of my toddlers were certainly no gender at all because they all would have done both those things 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 2