Menu

Coming home from public HS

I have two students in a public lottery high school in my town. They were both homeschooled through 8th grade. My son’s freshman year was when everything shut down in March. They both “attended” virtually this past year.  The school is highly rated, but I am unhappy with the academics and my kids grades are a poor. I want to bring them back home, but they want to go to school for social reasons. 

I feel like I am looking at this problem for every angle and I still don’t know what to do. Any insight on questions I should consider, or how to go about deciding where they should continue their high school?  My ds  is going into 11th grade and my dd into 10th

I would be nervous about trying to homeschool a teenager who want completely onboard with the idea. To the extent that I would last out the choices and my reasons and ultimately let them decide. You could spend some time gathering information on choices, obviously they understand the stay at school choice, but perhaps not what future ramifications you see. Don't forget to emphasize the positives of that choice. Then you could lay out some interesting course options that they could do at home or that you could outsource from home. Third you might look into early college programs or online college classes that would have them finish early.

Give some thought to their priorities, too. Do they have any academic goals? Is there property to be done with school and get started on LIFE? Perhaps they are interested in a non-standard path? Any of these would help focus your discussion.

After that, in my house, the decision would be theirs.

• Like 2

Thanks for your insight. I think some of this will help guide our discussion. I have graduated one high schooler from home, so I know the work involved and I am nervous about bringing them home if they are not on board.   

it seems that people often give the advice  that it is easier to try public school and leave if it doesn’t work out than it is to enter later. I feel like I made a mistake letting them try school out. Their school offers them some potential good opportunities, but they are content with barely sliding by.  It’s so hard watching them fail and be powerless to help. 

thanks for responding to my question 

• Like 1

I personally would not attempt to homeschool a high school student that did not want to be homeschooled. I would be very fearful of how that might jeopardize my future relationship with my child. Though I agree you could try and convince them if you want them back home again.

I had one that chose to go to high school for 9th and 10th grade and has now chosen to homeschool for 11th and 12th grade. But that is only because we have the option of dual enrollment here. She would never have come home again to be schooled by me or to take online classes. Due to these choices her grades are not as good as her three siblings, but our relationship is better without me trying to instruct her. She is just as ambitious as her siblings and she has other qualities and skills that will offset her grades when she applies to colleges. I feel confident she will find her way.

I pulled a kid out of PS that did not want to be pulled. I had intended for it to just be 8th to clean up the charter school experiment mess, but a lot happened that neither of us expected. He did not want to go to highschool when the time came.

There is no way in Hades any child of mine would be enrolled in a public school right now. Period! The world is crazy and keeps changing from one crazy idea to another crazy idea. I refuse to orbit crazy.

I don't want to get all off topic about the particulars of what happened in the late 90's and early 2,000's to us.

But here and now. NO! Just NO!

I would not judge the school based on what you saw in virtual, because that was incredibly new for everyone.     Think through what you saw and ask yourself...was this the teachers doing the best they can with a bad situation, or was this a curriculum/schooling-style that would be bad even if it were taught in person.  I'd try asking on local forums to see what parents who had been there long term thought about how virtual compared to usual...what was the same and what was different.

If after doing some researching you feel like it was mostly a problem with virtual, and they are going back in person next year, I'd give it a try, for the same reasons you wanted to try it before.

If you really feel like you saw behind the curtain and it wouldn't be much better during the year, then I'd insist, and then promptly get them involved in a co-op or sports or a club or something where they can get those social needs met.