Jump to content

Menu

Rumor I cannot confirm. Avancemos discontinuing as of 2024


Recommended Posts

A friend that teaches Spanish told me that HMH is no longer to support or distribute Avancemos as of 2024. That means no more online access either. I did call them but was unable to confirm it.  It apparently has something to do with the increased focus on CI (Comprehensible Input). 

Does anyone know anything about this?  A quick google is not helping. 

In slightly related news, I am not sure how I am purchasing digital access for Avancemos 2 for the fall.  

Edited by cintinative
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

oh man, that would be a bummer! I also need to figure out online access for next year. 

Did you end up ordering through HMH last year? I ordered mine through The Curriculum Store and they no longer offer it.  

I am checking with HMH--I don't know why I can't just order Avancemos 2 access from them--but it appears to be $113.   I can get student access from Kolbe but I want to use the HMH tests and I need access to answer keys. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Did you end up ordering through HMH last year? I ordered mine through The Curriculum Store and they no longer offer it.  

I am checking with HMH--I don't know why I can't just order Avancemos 2 access from them--but it appears to be $113.   I can get student access from Kolbe but I want to use the HMH tests and I need access to answer keys. 

I did order from HMH but I was only able to do so because I was working at a small Christian school...I am no longer teaching there next year but need to do Avancemos 2 with my ds next year. I will check out Kolbe as the student access is really what I mostly need I think. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

I did order from HMH but I was only able to do so because I was working at a small Christian school...I am no longer teaching there next year but need to do Avancemos 2 with my ds next year. I will check out Kolbe as the student access is really what I mostly need I think. 

I am also asking about these: https://lampposthomeschool.com/electives/foreign-language/avancemos-level-2-spanish/#Features

I really would be in trouble without the tests.  I did order Kolbe's lesson plans/tests this year but I didn't like the tests at all.  So I need access to those somehow. I am just not clear if I can get it through this group or not (or Kolbe).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I ordered the one above from Lamppost.

I can access the online student edition, the DYGI worksheets, the assessments, and the workbook answers.

I do not seem to have access to the workbook (without answers). I only have access to the workbook for hispanohablantes without answers

Edited by cintinative
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2021 at 1:14 PM, cintinative said:

I ordered the one above from Lamppost.

I can access the online student edition, the DYGI worksheets, the assessments, and the workbook answers.

I do not seem to have access to the workbook (without answers). I only have access to the workbook for hispanohablantes without answers

Quoting myself to say that I found a copy of the workbook files online but not on myHRW

I was told by the sales person that they can be found via search, and maybe the problem is that I still have access to Avancemos 1, but I can't find them on myHRW.

Overall, this version of access looks really different than the one I got last year from The Curriculum Store (they no longer offer it). So if any of you get it, PM me and I can help you find things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for keeping us all up to date about this. 

I bought the workbook for Avancemos 1 from Amazon. Maybe they still sell it for book 2.

Does the Lamppost online access have the tests, quizzes, and audio files to go with the textbook and tests?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JumpyTheFrog said:

 

Does the Lamppost online access have the tests, quizzes, and audio files to go with the textbook and tests?

Yes, I found all those files.

You can order the print workbook from them too. 

I am using the pdf files I found on another site (a teacher's site). 

The pdfs of Cuaderno para niveles might very well be there on my.hrw but I can't find them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, cintinative said:

Overall, this version of access looks really different than the one I got last year from The Curriculum Store (they no longer offer it). So if any of you get it, PM me and I can help you find things.

So everything is there just organized differently?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just heard from HMH customer support. The student version of Cuaderno para niveles is not included in this ISBN product from Lamppost.

Avancemos Online Edition Level 2 is a slightly different ISBN that does not contain the same resources that your Avancemos Level 1 Purchase contains. The resources are almost the same, but the Avancemos Online Edition lacks certain resources and this explains why we are unable to find a version of the Cuaderno: Practica Por Niveles without the answer key.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, cintinative said:

Yes, I found all those files.

You can order the print workbook from them too. 

I am using the pdf files I found on another site (a teacher's site). 

The pdfs of Cuaderno para niveles might very well be there on my.hrw but I can't find them.

Did you click on "review lesson 1"? on my teacher's account there are corresponding workbook pdf's there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2021 at 11:57 AM, cintinative said:

 

I finally heard back from the HMH people that said to order it through Lamppost homeschool 

https://lampposthomeschool.com/electives/foreign-language/avancemos-level-2-spanish/

@ByGrace3

So how do you get access to the teacher materials if the homeschool kit is out of print and they only are selling the student edition?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

Did you click on "review lesson 1"? on my teacher's account there are corresponding workbook pdf's there. 

Review Lesson 1 is not an option on the new teacher's account i have for Avancemos 2.  The item listed as "cuaderno para niveles" below is just the teacher key.

 

image.thumb.png.6f15e0d2921b8c8ee2c6971eee1c75bb.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

So how do you get access to the teacher materials if the homeschool kit is out of print and they only are selling the student edition?

So, what I can make out is that you can access the Did You Get It materials, videos, audio (workbook and exam), Examview, and an online version of the Teacher's text via the e-product from Lamppost (the first one, not the add-on).  I have a hard copy of my teacher's text anyway. 

On the student side, there is still access to the online textbook, Conjuguemos and @hometutor

What is it you are looking for? I can try to figure out where it is.

If by review lesson 1 you meant from the student portal, there are no workbook pages there.  I posted a screen shot below.

image.thumb.png.f045b8045c3df29b6ccdd57cc1d054aa.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, cintinative said:

So, what I can make out is that you can access the Did You Get It materials, videos, audio (workbook and exam), Examview, and an online version of the Teacher's text via the e-product from Lamppost (the first one, not the add-on).  I have a hard copy of my teacher's text anyway. 

On the student side, there is still access to the online textbook, Conjuguemos and @hometutor

What is it you are looking for? I can try to figure out where it is.

If by review lesson 1 you meant from the student portal, there are no workbook pages there.  I posted a screen shot below.

image.thumb.png.f045b8045c3df29b6ccdd57cc1d054aa.png

The did you get it pages are the workbook pages we used for reinforcement. 

Is there access to tests/quizzes, test audio files/text audio files?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ByGrace3 said:

The did you get it pages are the workbook pages we used for reinforcement. 

Is there access to tests/quizzes, test audio files/text audio files?

Yes, the assessment files are all there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One more question! I see the premium option has the workbook online in an "interactive format" -- does this grade it? If so, it may be worth $20...

  • Includes all activities from the Cuaderno: practica por niveles in an interactive format.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

One more question! I see the premium option has the workbook online in an "interactive format" -- does this grade it? If so, it may be worth $20...

  • Includes all activities from the Cuaderno: practica por niveles in an interactive format.

 

I didn't order the premium (add-on) option.  It might grade it? The full version I got from The Curriculum Store last year for Avancemos 1 includes grading for the student for certain things (where only one response was expected). You have to have a student account for each child though, and then you have to assign it. 

ETA: there are some workbook pages which have set answers and others which are more along the lines of open ended questions like: "What is your favorite thing to do on vacation?"  We did both workbook and did you get it. There are more open-ended answers on the workbook pages IMO.

 

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Can someone tell me what I would need to buy for Avancemos 1? My DS will be in 10th grade this year. I know a little bit of Spanish and I'm happy to help him ..... Should I buy a physical copy of the textbook for him and the 1 year online access? I do think he would do best with a physical workbook. So I would need to buy one or I don't mind printing it.

Edited by scbusf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, scbusf said:

Can someone tell me what I would need to buy for Avancemos 1? My DS will be in 10th grade this year. I know a little bit of Spanish and I'm happy to help him ..... Should I buy a physical copy of the textbook for him and the 1 year online access? I do think he would do best with a physical workbook. So I would need to buy one or I don't mind printing it.

I own the student text, the teacher text (although with the online access you can get the teacher's online) and this year I found the workbook pages online (which I will print). The workbook pages were not included in the online access. 

You didn't ask this, but this is not the kind of curriculum you can just hand off, IMO. I like the practice speaking that is part of the program, but that also means that the person listening needs to be able to correct pronunciation.  When my kids are speaking to each other, I have to listen and correct errors, and part of the tests is oral practice and written practice. So you need to be able to know enough to correct errors in freeform types of assignments.  That said, I have totally retaught myself Spanish over the last year. I took it in high school and post-college and went overseas for a bit, so I had some, but it was majorly rusty. Mom implementing it can be done. I have spent a lot of time working on my Spanish though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

I own the student text, the teacher text (although with the online access you can get the teacher's online) and this year I found the workbook pages online (which I will print). The workbook pages were not included in the online access. 

You didn't ask this, but this is not the kind of curriculum you can just hand off, IMO. I like the practice speaking that is part of the program, but that also means that the person listening needs to be able to correct pronunciation.  When my kids are speaking to each other, I have to listen and correct errors, and part of the tests is oral practice and written practice. So you need to be able to know enough to correct errors in freeform types of assignments.  That said, I have totally retaught myself Spanish over the last year. I took it in high school and post-college and went overseas for a bit, so I had some, but it was majorly rusty. Mom implementing it can be done. I have spent a lot of time working on my Spanish though. 

Thank you! I actually realized that I have Avancemos 1A and 1B - I also have an 11 and a 13 year old. I took Spanish in high school and college and I'm pretty sure I remember enough to be able to do this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I am looking at using Level 4.  I am a native speaker and will be working with my daughter.  I see we can only buy through lamppost.  Do you recommend the add on package?  Should I buy any of the texts or is the online textbook the same as the physical book?  Any help is appreciated.  She's been learning through a private teacher but her teacher is not teaching 4 and my daughter has sprung this on me last minute after insisting since February that 3 years was enough.  Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, dancingmama said:

I am looking at using Level 4.  I am a native speaker and will be working with my daughter.  I see we can only buy through lamppost.  Do you recommend the add on package?  Should I buy any of the texts or is the online textbook the same as the physical book?  Any help is appreciated.  She's been learning through a private teacher but her teacher is not teaching 4 and my daughter has sprung this on me last minute after insisting since February that 3 years was enough.  Thanks!

I don't have the add-on package.  Just the online access (basic) which includes the tests, online textbook, Did You Get It? worksheets, and access to Conjuguemos/self-check quizzes, the workbook, and the workbook for native heritage speakers with key.

I know very little about level 3 or 4, but I can tell you that the textbooks for these (for Avancemos) are much smaller.  Usually for a Spanish 3 or 4 class they are going to bring in Spanish novels, media, etc.   Have you tried googling some course plans from public schools? Let me see if I can find one for you.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@dancingmama here are some examples of classes that use Avancemos 4 with some info on how they supplement it.  Maybe they would be helpful?  

I'm guessing as a native speaker you could also look at some sort of syllabus/outline for a Spanish Composition and Conversation course and use that as a jumping off point for your Spanish IV.  If you ask on here, I'm sure people would have some ideas.

http://www.paterson.k12.nj.us/11_curriculum/world languages/curriculum/Spanish 9-12/Spanish 4 Honors Courses Grade 9-12/Spanish IV Honors - Unit 4.pdf

https://p19cdn4static.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_192220/File/Academics/World Language/Curriculum/MLHS-Spanish4.pdf

Here's an MIT open courseware for Spanish Comp and Conversation.   https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/global-languages/21g-712-spanish-conversation-and-composition-fall-2003/

example course description:  https://span-port.rutgers.edu/spanish-syllabi-synopses/undergraduate-course-synopses/234-200-level-courses/731-synopsis-203   (it came up on google, I am sure there are tons of others)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, cintinative said:

@dancingmama here are some examples of classes that use Avancemos 4 with some info on how they supplement it.  Maybe they would be helpful?  

I'm guessing as a native speaker you could also look at some sort of syllabus/outline for a Spanish Composition and Conversation course and use that as a jumping off point for your Spanish IV.  If you ask on here, I'm sure people would have some ideas.

http://www.paterson.k12.nj.us/11_curriculum/world languages/curriculum/Spanish 9-12/Spanish 4 Honors Courses Grade 9-12/Spanish IV Honors - Unit 4.pdf

https://p19cdn4static.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_192220/File/Academics/World Language/Curriculum/MLHS-Spanish4.pdf

Here's an MIT open courseware for Spanish Comp and Conversation.   https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/global-languages/21g-712-spanish-conversation-and-composition-fall-2003/

example course description:  https://span-port.rutgers.edu/spanish-syllabi-synopses/undergraduate-course-synopses/234-200-level-courses/731-synopsis-203   (it came up on google, I am sure there are tons of others)

 

Thank you so much!  I really appreciate this!  This is really helpful!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2021 at 1:11 PM, cintinative said:

So, what I can make out is that you can access the Did You Get It materials, videos, audio (workbook and exam), Examview, and an online version of the Teacher's text via the e-product from Lamppost (the first one, not the add-on).  I have a hard copy of my teacher's text anyway. 

On the student side, there is still access to the online textbook, Conjuguemos and @hometutor

What is it you are looking for? I can try to figure out where it is.

If by review lesson 1 you meant from the student portal, there are no workbook pages there.  I posted a screen shot below.

image.thumb.png.f045b8045c3df29b6ccdd57cc1d054aa.png

I am wondering if something is off with my access. I only have the right side of what you have listed here, not the left (unit resources). I am not seeing any worksheet pages, can't find any assessments, no audio files . . . I am not sure what is going on. Last year I was teaching and had access to everything but this year I only have the Lampost package . . . what am I missing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ByGrace3 said:

I am wondering if something is off with my access. I only have the right side of what you have listed here, not the left (unit resources). I am not seeing any worksheet pages, can't find any assessments, no audio files . . . I am not sure what is going on. Last year I was teaching and had access to everything but this year I only have the Lampost package . . . what am I missing?

It's probably buried. 

On this screen, click on "online textbook"

image.png.be3b7eb64d6384d206b202c36cc919a1.png

 

 

On this screen, click on the Unit that you want. I will pull up LP. 

image.png.e02fcb7723c57cdce36f44b24abbc24c.png

 

 

Click Where it says "Teacher Resources" and you get this for Leccion Preliminar.  You have to do the other steps first.

image.thumb.png.e9f208a8f87a6ef90828c3f6f04307d4.png


 

You get the student workbook pages from the "teacher resources" tab once you have chosen your unit.  This is for Unidad 1, Leccion 1.  There are files for the cuaderno para hisblantes and the cuaderno para niveles. There is NO an answer key for the cuaderno para niveles but no blank pages, but I found answer keys the blank pages via google.

 

 

image.thumb.png.c6ff36281a4c3c5b0f7aa2b0106847fd.png

 

For the student DYGI pages, you click on "student resources" instead of "teacher resources" and you get this. Keep in mind LP does not have workbook or DYGI worksheets. This screen is for Unidad 1, Leccion 1

image.thumb.png.39ea30e9f392bfeae822dc4a60d9e98d.png

Edited by cintinative
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 8/24/2021 at 1:48 PM, cintinative said:

It's probably buried. 

Thanks for posting this. I just went to use the online access from Lamppost and had the same problem as a previous poster. I came here because I was sure you had already answered this question for us.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...