Jump to content

Menu

Weird UTI experience - anyone else?


Spryte
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’ve been having right flank pain for at least a week.  At first I was convinced it was a UTI (I have this same pain with them, but had no urinary type symptoms this time).  I used an at home strip last week and it was inconclusive.  Trace leukocytes.  Went to the urologist for a test - negative in the office but they sent off a culture.

I figured this was probably part of my on-going mystery liver ailment, felt really concerned, and made doc appointments for more follow up liver care.  Meanwhile, I’m sleeping with heating pads and generally, well, in pain. Pain is shooting down my leg, even.

Urology called today, and the culture was positive.  Huh.  You could have knocked me over.  I’ve started on Cipro and will have to have my liver enzymes checked in a few days. Pretty nervous about my liver.  Aaack.

Anyone else have this happen?  Odd, not quite right UTI symptoms, negative rapid test in office, positive culture.

I feel pretty crummy, and heading to bed, but this whole thing feels weird.

Relieved to have an answer, at least.

  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It isn't uncommon to have a negative test in office and a positive culture. If your urine was dilute from drinking a lot of water, there may not be enough bacteria in the sample to get a good read on. The culture can grow up even the small amount in a dilute sample, so it is more accurate. 

And yeah, I've had a UTI before that was just the pain (mine was abdominal, not flank, but still) and no burning or other "normal" UTI symptoms. It was more like labor pain or something. (My bladder is adhered to the front of my abdominal wall with adhesions which may explain why my pain is always frontal with anything bladder related)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

It isn't uncommon to have a negative test in office and a positive culture. If your urine was dilute from drinking a lot of water, there may not be enough bacteria in the sample to get a good read on. The culture can grow up even the small amount in a dilute sample, so it is more accurate. 

And yeah, I've had a UTI before that was just the pain (mine was abdominal, not flank, but still) and no burning or other "normal" UTI symptoms. It was more like labor pain or something. (My bladder is adhered to the front of my abdominal wall with adhesions which may explain why my pain is always frontal with anything bladder related)

Oh!  The water.  That makes sense.  I’m chugging water. So. Much. Water.

And that’s interesting about the adhesions.  I have adhesions also, and sometimes they are an issue. That could explain why it always turns into right flank pain for me.  I don’t know about labor pains (early hysterectomy due to endometriosis that was crazy bad, another adhesion factor), but this is like a mostly dull, persistent ache that sometimes shoots up to higher level pain.  So possibly similar?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

Oh!  The water.  That makes sense.  I’m chugging water. So. Much. Water.

And that’s interesting about the adhesions.  I have adhesions also, and sometimes they are an issue. That could explain why it always turns into right flank pain for me.  I don’t know about labor pains (early hysterectomy due to endometriosis that was crazy bad, another adhesion factor), but this is like a mostly dull, persistent ache that sometimes shoots up to higher level pain.  So possibly similar?

Very possible. And yup - often people who suspect a UTI drink a lot of water, which is good, but it makes it harder to get an accurate reading on a dipstick to check for UTI. Those go by numbers, how many white blood cells, etc and if the urine is that dilute it won't be accurate. 

Pain could also be from kidney if it traveled up that high - or from adhesions, etc. It is yeah, a dull ache that sometimes gets worse and makes me want to double over. 

Oh, and fyi, drinking a ton of acidic stuff like cranberry juice can make it feel worse - makes the urine more irritating to the already irritated bladder wall. That...that was a miserable thing to learn the hard way, lol. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Ethel Mertz said:

I wonder if you might have a kidney stone as well.

It does have a kidney stone feel to the pain. I’m prone to them.  I had CT imaging not too long ago, and they didn’t see any stones waiting to drop, though one could have formed by now.  

Hopefully it clears up with three days a Cipro.  With no liver issues.  That would just be perfect!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Spryte said:

It does have a kidney stone feel to the pain. I’m prone to them.  I had CT imaging not too long ago, and they didn’t see any stones waiting to drop, though one could have formed by now.  

Hopefully it clears up with three days a Cipro.  With no liver issues.  That would just be perfect!

I hope so! Pop those florastor like crazy! I know you likely are already, but cipro is on my phobia list due to history that I know you have as well 😳.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, KSera said:

I hope so! Pop those florastor like crazy! I know you likely are already, but cipro is on my phobia list due to history that I know you have as well 😳.

Thanks for the reminder!  I had forgotten.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...