Menu

Recipe for gluten free carrot cake and cream cheese frosting needed.....any suggestions?

Tap

I need to do a kind thing for a friend to repay a huge favor. I know they really like carrot cake and cream cheese frosting, but they are gluten free. Any chance someone has an amazing recipe for it? 

10 hours ago, Tap said:

I need to do a kind thing for a friend to repay a huge favor. I know they really like carrot cake and cream cheese frosting, but they are gluten free. Any chance someone has an amazing recipe for it? 

I have these 'no bake' carrot slices I make - they are gluten-free (I think you can get gluten-free oats, yes?) and vegan to boot (the 'cream cheese' frosting is cashews and coconut cream) - and I think delicious.  I think I might like them better than actual carrot cake - they are thin and very moist rather than thick and cakey.  Also, the only sweetener is dates, the carrots themselves, a tablespoon of maple syrup, and just a wee bit of stevia.  I have never been ambitious enough to soak or boil the cashews.  Comes out fine just grinding them up, lol.  I think the original recipe had less lime juice, but I like the lime and what am I going to do with the rest of the lime if I don't use it up - lol.

No-bake Carrot Slices

1½-2 c. carrots, grated (2 large or 3+ smaller carrots)
1 c. walnuts
1 t. pure vanilla extract
½ t. ground ginger
¼ t. ground nutmeg
1 t. cinnamon
½ c. shredded coconut
1 c. Medjool dates, pitted
1/3 c. oats
1 t. chia seeds

Frosting

1 c. raw cashews (for creamier frosting, soak in water 6 hrs or boil for 15 min.)
1 T. maple syrup
½ t. liquid stevia or to taste
1 t. pure vanilla extract
Juice of one lime
1/3 coconut cream, oil or butter
Pinch of salt

For the dough, place all batter ingredients in food processor until combined.  You want it to be rather hard – if it’s too mushy add more oats and/or shredded coconut.

Place the dough in a 9x9 baking tray (parchment paper lining optional).  Use a spatula to evenly press the dough down.  Place in the freezer while you make the frosting.

Mix all the ingredients for the frosting and mix in food processor. Adjust sweetness according to your personal taste.  Once smooth (shouldn’t be too liquid but creamy), spread over hardened dough and spread evenly with a spatula.

Place in fridge if you prefer it more soft, or in freezer if you want it to harden up a bit.  If you store it in the freezer, let it warm to room temperature before serving.

Options: top with crushed pistachios, or roll into balls and dip in icing to make truffles. 

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1