Menu

Calling all summer campers...

Sneezyone

On 6/14/2021 at 10:40 AM, Sneezyone said:

My ‘little’ is going away for a two week camp—no tech, no cabins, pure camping/hiking. We’ve never sent a child to sleep away camp (DH and I are only occasional passers by the great outdoors) and it’s hard to know what (or whether) something optional is really essential, or if something required can/should be upsized or downsized (like bug spray). There was no sunblock on the list but I bought DS a small, natural sunblock stick (looks like mini deodorant) anyway, etc.

Any tips from experienced campers? I bought moisture sucking everything and closed toe sandals and shoes, lol. That’s as far as I’ve gotten.

try to talk to someone who did that same camp recently and get camp specific suggestions 

including knowing if they have to carry everything or if there’s a vehicle that meets them every so often as that can make a big difference in terms of weight etc

my son had some of his own emergency items just in case( reflector/Mylar blanket; compass multifunction tool, iodine water disinfectant tablets) 

when mine did something like that he was the only one in his group without a book (it wasn’t on list and I would have thought the weight would make it a problem) and wished very much he had something to read like the others

a pack of mini playing cards was good —

those are the type things others may know about who did the exact same camp

really really comfortable hiking boots  - his came from a military surplus store 

shorts that doubled as swimwear

mine had a 3 part army type sleeping bag (maybe did not take the water proof shell since they were in tents) which worked well since one place they went was high enough to be in glacier snow, and other stops were much hotter ... there might not be so much variation where yours will be

He had a cardboard type disposable camera (electronics were not allowed)  - he wished he had had two! Or even 3. 

a crunchable hat,  consider one with mosquito netting  

Consider a piece of mosquito netting 

sunglasses

Thin washcloths or tea towels (can be used to clean with, dry with, wet and put around neck to cool off ... etc) 

some shareable snack food if that’s allowed (kids who had some were very popular- we thought it wasn’t allowed, but it was okay ) 

insect repellent and insect resistant cool long sleeve shirt  

extra water bottle in case main one is lost

waterproof jacket maybe pants too if in rainy area

more than one sunblock if tending to get sunburned 

non chafing socks

try the socks and shoes ahead of time  - happy vs miserable feet are important to over all experience 

• Thanks 1