Menu

Amazon Basics electronics — potential fire hazard

Catwoman

I’m sure many of us have purchased Amazon Basics electronics, phone chargers, etc., so when I saw this on the news today, I thought I would post it. 

Apparently, some of the products are being investigated as possible fire hazards. There aren’t too many details available right now, but because so many people trust Amazon-branded products and may be using them right now, I thought it would be worth mentioning.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/business/amazonbasics-electronics-fire-safety-invs/index.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I read the article and noticed that the photos of burned items showed the ETL mark.

As a PSA: imnsho, the UL mark is more reliable than the ETL mark.  Even if testing to the same standards the UL mark is more reliable.  (Btw, safety testing is just about failing safely.  It isn't an endorsement for the product, kwim?)

(I have a loved one who has worked years at each company and a loved one who works for UL.)

• Like 3

There is a newer article dated June 14th

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/14/business/amazonbasics-cpsc-investigation-invs/index.html

Now, at least eight of the items highlighted in CNN's investigation are being reviewed by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, according to letters CNN received from the agency in response to public records requests. Among the products are surge protectors, phone charging cords, a patio heater, battery charger and a voice-activated microwave that consumers reported had caught fire.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1