Menu

Mr. D Math Live or Self Paced?

Hi all! 

I think we are going to go with Mr. D Math for my 8th grader. I wish we would have tried it this past year. I’m going to start her in pre-algebra. Based on the prerequisites listed, it looks like she could move through it quickly. That makes me think we should try the self paced option. If you’ve used his program, do you suggest live or self paced?

My dd did a live class at Mr. D, and by the end I was wishing she has done self-paced so that she could finish it up early. She was constrained by the class pacing. Part of my discontent was that there was not enough work assigned for it to take her even 5 hours a week. She used math time at the end of the week for other things, but my preference would have been too spend more time in math. YMMV

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

My dd did a live class at Mr. D, and by the end I was wishing she has done self-paced so that she could finish it up early. She was constrained by the class pacing. Part of my discontent was that there was not enough work assigned for it to take her even 5 hours a week. She used math time at the end of the week for other things, but my preference would have been too spend more time in math. YMMV

What made it so fast?? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

What made it so fast?? 

Apparently there just wasn't a lot of work assigned. She was in a class I had taught a couple of years before using Patty Paper Geometry, so some of the topics were familiar to her, but not all of them. She got a top grade in the class, so by mutual consent we moved her to a program she finds more challenging and which requires more work on her part.

• Like 1

Between my two older kids, they have taken 5 Mr. D math classes. All of them have been live classes. Everyone I know who hasn't liked Mr. D tried the self paced. It is not an advanced curriculum-- it is pretty standard. We decided a standard curriculum that my kids understood and could master was best for our family. 

That said, my dd will be doing precalculus self paced because we wanted her to start it early and accelerate to finish by December. I think it will be fine for her but we shall see. I don't think the self paced courses would work for ds. 

Either option, the help sessions are invaluable. 

• Thanks 1