Jump to content

Menu

Different symptoms for new Covid variant


Recommended Posts

The Delta variant has spread widely in the UK, so there are now data about different symptoms to look out for (not necessarily the classic cough, fever and change of taste/smell).  The variant is rising quickly in the US too.  The following is based on a large sample size (around one million people logging onto an app regularly).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57467051

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 20
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

The Delta variant has spread widely in the UK, so there are now data about different symptoms to look out for (not necessarily the classic cough, fever and change of taste/smell).  The variant is rising quickly in the US too.  The following is based on a large sample size (around one million people logging onto an app regularly).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57467051

Helpful, thanks.

At the end of the day, everyone who has “cold symptoms” should be tested.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Helpful, thanks.

At the end of the day, everyone who has “cold symptoms” should be tested.

Do you think this applies to the fully vaccinated person or just unvaccinated?  Asking because my 17 year old has a sore throat and headache since Saturday night but has been fully vaccinated since the end of April.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JanOH said:

Do you think this applies to the fully vaccinated person or just unvaccinated?  Asking because my 17 year old has a sore throat and headache since Saturday night but has been fully vaccinated since the end of April.

I'm not sure. I think, personally, I'd feel better getting a test, although the fact that it's unpleasant may deter me given that I'm vaccinated (being honest here.) 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JanOH said:

Do you think this applies to the fully vaccinated person or just unvaccinated?  Asking because my 17 year old has a sore throat and headache since Saturday night but has been fully vaccinated since the end of April.

I would test in either case.  The mRNA vaccines seem to about 88% effective in preventing sympomatic Covid with this variant, so it's definitely possible to get symptoms despite being vaccinated.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/06/08/1004597294/the-highly-contagious-delta-variant-of-covid-is-on-the-rise-in-the-u-s

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, JanOH said:

Do you think this applies to the fully vaccinated person or just unvaccinated?  Asking because my 17 year old has a sore throat and headache since Saturday night but has been fully vaccinated since the end of April.

My SIL was fully vaccinated when she got a mild case of Covid in May. Her daughter also had it but was asymptomatic. She apparently brought it home from school - she'd been quarantined due to a case on her bus. We have saliva tests here, and they can even be taken at home, so it makes it easy to test. 

Edited by Insertcreativenamehere
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for posting this, @Laura Corin. I'm also seeing stomach pain, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting associated with Delta variant, more so than with the original strain. I don't have time this morning to search for a great source but this came up on USAToday:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/06/11/new-coronavirus-delta-variant-shows-severe-symptoms-concerns-experts/7639046002/

I was googling GI symptoms because dd15 has had all of the above for a couple weeks. Not severe, but I'm going to pick up a Covid test for her at our library today. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JanOH said:

Do you think this applies to the fully vaccinated person or just unvaccinated?  Asking because my 17 year old has a sore throat and headache since Saturday night but has been fully vaccinated since the end of April.

Our library has free tests you can do at home. You need an internet connection and device with camera, and someone walks you through it online. Results in 20-30 min. Governor DeWine wanted at-home tests to be available in every county and libraries are one of the primary modes of distribution.

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm not sure. I think, personally, I'd feel better getting a test, although the fact that it's unpleasant may deter me given that I'm vaccinated (being honest here.) 

I’ve tested twice and my older two kids have tested a few times as well, and other than my oldest’s presurgery swab, they were all super easy lower nose swabs. All were PCR. My oldest said even the high swab wasn’t bad at all. She said it only lasted a second and then was done. She had been expecting worse. 

16 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Our library has free tests you can do at home. You need an internet connection and device with camera, and someone walks you through it online. Results in 20-30 min. Governor DeWine wanted at-home tests to be available in every county and libraries are one of the primary modes of distribution.

That is such a smart idea!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, KSera said:

I’ve tested twice and my older two kids have tested a few times as well, and other than my oldest’s presurgery swab, they were all super easy lower nose swabs. All were PCR. My oldest said even the high swab wasn’t bad at all. She said it only lasted a second and then was done. She had been expecting worse. 

That is such a smart idea!

That was my experience with the high swab, too. It is a brief moment of unpleasantness, but is over and done before you know it. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

And that's actually exactly what covid looked like in my area of the US all last summer. 

Yeah, this doesn’t seem like anything new. Very mild cases always looked like that. 
 

I wonder if this reflects the fact that a lot of the cases the UK is picking up now are through screening, not as many anymore from sick people seeking care. At least that is what I’ve read about their approach.

Delta doesn’t seem to be spreading nearly as fast in the US as it has in the UK, even accounting for the head start in the UK. 

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Our library has free tests you can do at home. You need an internet connection and device with camera, and someone walks you through it online. Results in 20-30 min. Governor DeWine wanted at-home tests to be available in every county and libraries are one of the primary modes of distribution.

Thank you for reminding me of this!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JanOH said:

Do you think this applies to the fully vaccinated person or just unvaccinated?  Asking because my 17 year old has a sore throat and headache since Saturday night but has been fully vaccinated since the end of April.

I would test because vaccinated people are getting infected in my country of origin. The Delta variant is highly contagious. The govt have to shut down schools again last month and now it is school holiday.

June 9 https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/singapore-finds-delta-most-prevalent-among-virus-variants-locally-2021-06-09/

Singapore has found the Delta variant of the coronavirus to be the most prevalent among local cases of variants of concern (VOCs), according to health ministry data, highlighting its level of infectiousness

There were 449 local cases with VOCs as of May 31, of which 428 were the Delta variant first detected in India and nine of the Beta variant first identified in South Africa, the health ministry said in emailed statement on Wednesday.

….

Singapore performs viral genomic sequencing for all confirmed COVID-19 cases, unlike some countries who typically sequence a smaller proportion of their infections.”

 

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I would test in either case.  The mRNA vaccines seem to about 88% effective in preventing sympomatic Covid with this variant, so it's definitely possible to get symptoms despite being vaccinated.

Reuters is reporting Pfizer as 79% effective. It was reported as 88% last month.
June 14 https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/delta-variant-doubles-risk-covid-hospitalisation-scottish-study-2021-06-14/

“British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to delay the ending of COVID-19 restrictions in England on Monday, following a rapid rise in cases of the Delta variant, which is also more transmissible than the Alpha variant. read more 

The study, published in a research letter in the Lancet, looked at 19,543 community cases and 377 hospitalisations among 5.4 million people in Scotland, 7,723 cases and 1234 hospitalisations of which were found to have the Delta variant.

Chris Robertson, Professor of Public Health Epidemiology, University of Strathclyde, said that adjusting for age and comorbidities, the Delta variant roughly doubled the risk of hospitalisation, but vaccines still reduced that risk.

"If you test positive, then two doses of the vaccine or one dose for 28 days roughly reduces your risk of being admitted to hospital by 70%," he told reporters.

Two weeks after the second dose, Pfizer (PFE.N)BioNTech's vaccine was found to have 79% protection against infection from the Delta variant, compared to 92% against the Alpha variant. For Oxford-AstraZeneca's (AZN.L)vaccine, there was 60% protection against Delta compared with 73% for Alpha.”

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Acadie said:

Thanks so much for posting this, @Laura Corin. I'm also seeing stomach pain, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting associated with Delta variant, more so than with the original strain. I don't have time this morning to search for a great source but this came up on USAToday:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/06/11/new-coronavirus-delta-variant-shows-severe-symptoms-concerns-experts/7639046002/

I was googling GI symptoms because dd15 has had all of the above for a couple weeks. Not severe, but I'm going to pick up a Covid test for her at our library today. 

I hope your dd tests negative, Acadie, and that she feels better very soon!!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Yes.  Has anyone seen anything on the Moderna on Delta?

Your Local Epidemiologists periodically updates a table with variants and vaccine effectiveness. Her newsletter is free, and the sign up should appear in a search. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm not sure. I think, personally, I'd feel better getting a test, although the fact that it's unpleasant may deter me given that I'm vaccinated (being honest here.) 

To put it in a nutshell, the Delta variant is supposed to double the risk of hospitalization and Pfizer and Moderna do not protect completely against it, though various reports indicate anywhere from 70-96% protection depending on the source. Many are anticipating a 3rd wave in the Fall (or is it 4th?) from this variant. Many I know are keeping their masks on and practicing social distancing in public places even after vaccination because of this variant spreading in the US.

  • Like 5
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Penelope said:

Delta doesn’t seem to be spreading nearly as fast in the US as it has in the UK, even accounting for the head start in the UK. 

This may be because the UK was delaying second shots and focusing on getting first shots in arms.  Turns out a single shot by itself is a lot less effective against Delta variant than other variants.      Or just random luck. That seems to play a part in everything…

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am so tired of this. I can honestly say I no longer care. I would rather die than live locked up in a way we did last year. I am taking my chances. I will get whatever boosters they offer, but for the mental sanity of my children and me, I refuse to zoom and sit home. Enough is enough. 

  • Like 6
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Has anyone seen anything on the Moderna on Delta?

No.

Most experts quote a study done in the UK of vaccine effectiveness against Delta and they did not include the Moderna in their study. They do have some preliminary data on the effectiveness of Pfizer against the Delta variant and chances are that the Moderna vaccine falls approximately in that ballpark as well with regards to effectiveness.

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210610/delta-variant-and-covid-19-vaccines-what-to-know

 

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I am so tired of this. I can honestly say I no longer care. I would rather die than live locked up in a way we did last year. I am taking my chances. I will get whatever boosters they offer, but for the mental sanity of my children and me, I refuse to zoom and sit home. Enough is enough. 

I definitely still care, but the thought of potentially having to go through all this again is just... ugh. Unthinkable. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I am so tired of this. I can honestly say I no longer care. I would rather die than live locked up in a way we did last year. I am taking my chances. I will get whatever boosters they offer, but for the mental sanity of my children and me, I refuse to zoom and sit home. Enough is enough. 

I care a lot, but I don’t think I’d be willing to really lock down again. But hopefully that’s not going to be needed??

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I care a lot, but I don’t think I’d be willing to really lock down again. But hopefully that’s not going to be needed??

Given how many people aren’t going to vaccinate, I could see another surge. Vermont on the other hand reached 80% vaccination rate. Maybe I just need to move. 😓
 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Given how many people aren’t going to vaccinate, I could see another surge. Vermont on the other hand reached 80% vaccination rate. Maybe I just need to move. 😓
 

Maaaybe 😉 . Join us in the Northeast!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We need to still do hard things.  I wish the adults who are blowing off vaccinations would do it for the sake of the children who have no option right now.

It looks like the delta variant has gone up to 10% up from 6% in a news report date June 9, 6 days ago.  I imagine it could be much higher if everyone tested.

We have to do hard things.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ugh, last week Ds had a bad sore throat, headache, and a cough. He actually made an appointment for drive up testing at the clinic at out local Kroger, but when he got there they told him to come inside for testing. He didn’t want to do that so left and never ended up getting a test (he feels better now). I’ve since stopped shopping at Kroger here since I now know they’re having symptomatic people come inside the store for tests. There’s zero separation from the store and often the line for the clinic blocks the entrance. There’s plenty of other places to choose to shop that do no testing.

We’re just going on as normal as possible at this point and hoping our vaccines work. Both dc will be back to in person college classes in the fall and I felt it important to start getting out more so youngest will be comfortable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Given how many people aren’t going to vaccinate, I could see another surge. Vermont on the other hand reached 80% vaccination rate. Maybe I just need to move. 😓
 

You can always move northwards (the COL is unfortunately high).  We are at 79% for one dose and 69% for two dose for 12 and older. At least you won’t need to worry as much if you are in my area. *hugs*


People in my country of origin are frustrated, they are in semi-lockdown. My niece and my husband’s niece are back to home based learning. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I just saw on the news that Pfizer was 96% effective against Delta. 

Link? I saw a high rate from preventing hospitalization but preventing infection was 88%.

June 15th article https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/558467-pfizer-studying-vaccinated-people-who-get-infected-for-insights-on-boosters

“Pfizer is studying the rare cases in which vaccinated people have gotten infected with the coronavirus in order to determine when booster shots might be needed.

“We will be looking at real world data to help us understand when we might see a change in vaccine effectiveness,” David Swerdlow, clinical epidemiology lead for Pfizer Vaccines, said on Monday at the Precision Medicine World Conference, Bloomberg Law reported.

“We’re going to be monitoring this closely and using immunological data, clinical data, and real world data to help us think about when a booster might be needed,” Swerdlow added.

As of the end of April, there have been more than 10,000 cases of individuals who have been infected with the virus after getting the Pfizer vaccine, according to Bloomberg Law.“

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Link? I saw a high rate from preventing hospitalization but preventing infection was 88%.

June 15th article https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/558467-pfizer-studying-vaccinated-people-who-get-infected-for-insights-on-boosters

“Pfizer is studying the rare cases in which vaccinated people have gotten infected with the coronavirus in order to determine when booster shots might be needed.

“We will be looking at real world data to help us understand when we might see a change in vaccine effectiveness,” David Swerdlow, clinical epidemiology lead for Pfizer Vaccines, said on Monday at the Precision Medicine World Conference, Bloomberg Law reported.

“We’re going to be monitoring this closely and using immunological data, clinical data, and real world data to help us think about when a booster might be needed,” Swerdlow added.

As of the end of April, there have been more than 10,000 cases of individuals who have been infected with the virus after getting the Pfizer vaccine, according to Bloomberg Law.“

I don't have a link, it was just on as I was turning on the tv and I believe it was an European study? 

Just found this

Delta COVID variant: Pfizer, AstraZeneca vaccines effective against new coronavirus strain, studies show - nj.com

Two studies recently released examined how much protection the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines can offer against the Delta variant of COVID-19.

A study conducted by Public Health England found that Pfizer’s vaccine was “96% effective against hospitalization” after both doses, and AstraZeneca’s vaccine was 92% effective against hospitalization after both doses.

“The analysis included 14,019 cases of the Delta variant — 166 of whom were hospitalized — between 12 April and 4 June, looking at emergency hospital admissions in England,” according to Public Health England.

The other study, published by The Lancet medical journal, found that the Pfizer vaccine offered 79% protection against the Delta variant of the coronavirus after both doses, while the AstraZeneca vaccine offered 60% protection against the strain after two doses.

Edited by mommyoffive
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I don't have a link, it was just on as I was turning on the tv and I believe it was an European study? 

Just found this

Delta COVID variant: Pfizer, AstraZeneca vaccines effective against new coronavirus strain, studies show - nj.com

 

We are reading similar news, just that mine was from BBC. You were referring to preventing hospitalization while I was looking at the protection against infection rate, so we were talking past each other. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Link? I saw a high rate from preventing hospitalization but preventing infection was 88%.

June 15th article https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/558467-pfizer-studying-vaccinated-people-who-get-infected-for-insights-on-boosters

“Pfizer is studying the rare cases in which vaccinated people have gotten infected with the coronavirus in order to determine when booster shots might be needed.

“We will be looking at real world data to help us understand when we might see a change in vaccine effectiveness,” David Swerdlow, clinical epidemiology lead for Pfizer Vaccines, said on Monday at the Precision Medicine World Conference, Bloomberg Law reported.

“We’re going to be monitoring this closely and using immunological data, clinical data, and real world data to help us think about when a booster might be needed,” Swerdlow added.

As of the end of April, there have been more than 10,000 cases of individuals who have been infected with the virus after getting the Pfizer vaccine, according to Bloomberg Law.“

 

55 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I don't have a link, it was just on as I was turning on the tv and I believe it was an European study? 

Just found this

Delta COVID variant: Pfizer, AstraZeneca vaccines effective against new coronavirus strain, studies show - nj.com

Two studies recently released examined how much protection the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines can offer against the Delta variant of COVID-19.

A study conducted by Public Health England found that Pfizer’s vaccine was “96% effective against hospitalization” after both doses, and AstraZeneca’s vaccine was 92% effective against hospitalization after both doses.

“The analysis included 14,019 cases of the Delta variant — 166 of whom were hospitalized — between 12 April and 4 June, looking at emergency hospital admissions in England,” according to Public Health England.

The other study, published by The Lancet medical journal, found that the Pfizer vaccine offered 79% protection against the Delta variant of the coronavirus after both doses, while the AstraZeneca vaccine offered 60% protection against the strain after two doses.

Data from Public Health England shows protection from hospitalization with Delta is 94% after FIRST DOSE of Pfizer, 71% one dose AZ.

After two doses AZ, 92%, two doses Pfizer, 96%. https://khub.net/web/phe-national/public-library/-/document_library/v2WsRK3ZlEig/view_file/479607329?_com_liferay_document_library_web_portlet_DLPortlet_INSTANCE_v2WsRK3ZlEig_redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fkhub.net%3A443%2Fweb%2Fphe-national%2Fpublic-library%2F-%2Fdocument_library%2Fv2WsRK3ZlEig%2Fview%2F479607266

This is about as good as we get from real world data for non-Delta anywhere. I know there are people who don’t want to be infected with Covid even if the result is cold symptoms, but that was never a realistic expectation for the vaccines. This news is not doom, it’s fantastic; the vaccine prevents the severe cases. 
 

A good thread: https://threader.app/thread/1404601939850108937

Excerpt:

Quote

21/ Now, let’s specifically deconstruct the headlines.1. 29% of deaths in the UK are in fully vaccinated individuals with delta. Well, you could easily turn that upside down. In that same report there were 33,206 positive cases of the delta variant.

22/ That means that the mortality of that variant amongst vaccinated individuals is 0.000003%. Also, there were 42 people admitted to the hospital which means that your chance of getting admitted if you are fully vaccinated is 0.00001%.

23/ Furthermore, we have absolutely NO data of co-morbidities, actual cause of death, etc. And as of today, the UK has re-iterated the overwhelming success of the vaccines.

24/ Now, important for the US population where the AstraZeneca product is not available, look into the actual data behind that report.

25/ What you discover is that the Pfizer (and assumption Moderna) vaccines are 94% effective in preventing hospitalization after 1 dose and 96% effective after 2 doses. That’s incredibly similar AND they don’t even look at mortality.

26/ Look past the announcement headline and go into the actual background data found on the UK government site.2. Now for the cruise ship data. I will admit my bias that I have never been on a cruise. I get wicked seasick.27/ Plus, even pre-pandemic I looked at a cruise ship as a massive petri dish. That said, let’s give them some slack. There were over 1250 fully vaccinated people on that ship and they found 2 asymptomatic positive cases.28/ You could look at it another way and say that if you are vaccinated you have a 0.00001% chance of a positive, asymptomatic test with NO actual illness or hospitalization. (Source: https://threader.app/thread/1404601939850108937)

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Penelope said:

 

This is about as good as we get from real world data for non-Delta anywhere. I know there are people who don’t want to be infected with Covid even if the result is cold symptoms, but that was never a realistic expectation for the vaccines. This news is not doom, it’s fantastic; the vaccine prevents the severe cases. 

It’s not so much doom and gloom. My husband and I have many elderly relatives in our country of origin with high numbers of Delta variant. To us, it just means the much younger relatives would drop off groceries for the elders and the elders should shelter in place until the Delta variant there isn’t spreading among the community. 
 

My region also probably has a higher number of Delta variants that the rest of the country.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/article/The-delta-coronavirus-variant-has-California-16240411.php

“How many delta variant cases are in the Bay Area?

Most Bay Area counties do not have a public dashboard tracking the variants. Santa Clara County’s dashboard shows 52 cases of the B.1.617.2 variant as of June 3 under the known variants of interest category. Sonoma County lists two cases under the B.1.617 category, but does not specify if they are from the delta or kappa variants. Marin County health officer Matt Willis reported seven delta variant cases as of May 20 during a presentation to the Board of Supervisors.“

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is a problem for countries that don’t have enough vaccine yet. That’s very true. 
 

California has such a high vaccination rate and such a low number of cases now that I am not sure why it would be a large concern there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Penelope said:

It is a problem for countries that don’t have enough vaccine yet. That’s very true. 
 

California has such a high vaccination rate and such a low number of cases now that I am not sure why it would be a large concern there.

The UK has a high vaccination rate. Covid cases are doubling each week. Luckily the double vaccination rates for the over-fifties and the medically vulnerable are well over 90 percent, so hospitalisation rates are not so high. If California has a different vaccination pattern, the outcome may vary 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Joker2 said:

Ugh, last week Ds had a bad sore throat, headache, and a cough. He actually made an appointment for drive up testing at the clinic at out local Kroger, but when he got there they told him to come inside for testing. He didn’t want to do that so left and never ended up getting a test (he feels better now). I’ve since stopped shopping at Kroger here since I now know they’re having symptomatic people come inside the store for tests.

Ugh, that's awful! Glad your ds feels better, and good on him knowing it was a bad idea to go into the store while symptomatic like that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

CA has high vaccination rates in some areas and lower ones inland.

 

Today was the first delay of opening here. I shopped without a mask! Then went in Starbucks (also without a mask) to get a coffee, ran into a friend sitting inside, had a conversation, walked outside and started sobbing. This is the first time I have felt normal in over a year. 
 

Let me tell you, pandemics aren’t for extroverts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

11 hours ago, happi duck said:

It looks like the delta variant has gone up to 10% up from 6% in a news report date June 9, 6 days ago.  I imagine it could be much higher if everyone tested.

I read this on my county’s dashboard webpage. There is a lag of a month or more.

”Last updated on June 10, 2021. This dashboard is updated every Thursday, but please note that there is a lag in the data of up to a month or more due to the time required for laboratories to sequence and report variant cases to the Public Health Department.”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/15/1006861794/cdc-has-declared-coronavirus-delta-variant-a-variant-of-concern
“The coronavirus variant that was first detected in India has become a, quote, "variant of concern" in the United States. That's according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The announcement comes as the dangerous new variant, the Delta, has been spreading more widely in this country. NPR health correspondent Rob Stein is with us to talk about this.

SHAPIRO: Tell us more about what that data is. What does it show?

STEIN: Yeah, so it really looks like it's taking off and starting to overtake some of the other variants that have become dominant in this country. The CDC estimates that it went from less than 3% of all infections to more than 6% and now may account for almost 10% of all infections. I talked about this with Summer Galloway at the CDC.

STEIN: And it looks like the Delta variant is even more common in some parts of the country. The CDC estimates it already accounts for almost 13% of infections in some Southern states, like Texas and Louisiana, more than 17% percent of infections in some Northeastern states, like New York and New Jersey, and more than 25% of infections in some Western states, like Utah, Montana, Colorado.”

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/variants/variant-info.html#Concern

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we need to not let anybody into the country who can’t prove their vaccination status. Why did it take so long to suspend flights from India? 
 

I am afraid after this delta variant than it will be another one and another one. 😞 
 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I think we need to not let anybody into the country who can’t prove their vaccination status. Why did it take so long to suspend flights from India? 
 

I am afraid after this delta variant than it will be another one and another one. 😞 
 

Delta accounts for 90% of cases in the UK. Banning flights from India does not mean that Delta will not enter the country from the UK or Singapore or the Middle East because those countries have daily flights with thousands of immigrant indians going back and forth. In a pandemic, it is impossible to control the spread once the virus is out in the open. Which brings us back to vaccines ...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u-k-expected-to-delay-reopening-as-delta-variant-accounts-for-90-of-cases-and-u-s-court-upholds-mandatory-vaccination-11623680526

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

Delta accounts for 90% of cases in the UK. Banning flights from India does not mean that Delta will not enter the country from the UK or Singapore or the Middle East because those countries have daily flights with thousands of immigrant indians going back and forth. In a pandemic, it is impossible to control the spread once the virus is out in the open. Which brings us back to vaccines ...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u-k-expected-to-delay-reopening-as-delta-variant-accounts-for-90-of-cases-and-u-s-court-upholds-mandatory-vaccination-11623680526

 

Ban everybody entering the country who isn’t vaccinated. Period. 
We have locked up kids at home for a year but we can’t stop unvaccinated people from coming in? 
 

Odds of vaccinated people bringing in new variants are much smaller than non vaccinated. we can absolutely limit our exposure if there is political will to do so. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...