Menu

Accountability Thread 6/13 - 6/20

Evening!  This week ends with my younger child's 11th birthday, so we have birthday prep this week ...

Today saw some essential stuff done.  We had a light day of school; some chores; I did some work on my RPG.  Now to get everyone to bed.  I'm looking forward to Monday: it'll be an adventure to see what we can get done with peace & joy ...

• Like 1

Good morning!

Update on the professor situation is not a good one.  A few other students have been concerned as well, and now the issue is being escalated to the dean.  I looked her up on RateMyProfessor - results are absolutely dismal.  For the past 4 years, the reviews have been terrible, focused on how unorganized and unresponsive she is.

It's the second week of class, and I have no access to any work beyond most of the first week.  Now I'm getting really annoyed that this 4 week class is being artificially shortened for work time because the professor isn't doing her part.

Today's list:

• schoolwork
  • make more piles of leaves to take to the town compost pile
  • order new hockey underwear
  • work with the 11yo
  • prep for tutoring this week

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Good morning!

Update on the professor situation is not a good one.  A few other students have been concerned as well, and now the issue is being escalated to the dean.  I looked her up on RateMyProfessor - results are absolutely dismal.  For the past 4 years, the reviews have been terrible, focused on how unorganized and unresponsive she is.

It's the second week of class, and I have no access to any work beyond most of the first week.  Now I'm getting really annoyed that this 4 week class is being artificially shortened for work time because the professor isn't doing her part.

Today's list:

• schoolwork
  • make more piles of leaves to take to the town compost pile
  • order new hockey underwear
  • work with the 11yo
  • prep for tutoring this week

I don’t usually follow these threads, so I missed the details — what happened? 😞 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I don’t usually follow these threads, so I missed the details — what happened? 😞 

I'm taking a condensed communications class.  It's a month long, with a pretty hefty workload.  The professor got off to a good start by opening up the first week's assignments early, but the last anyone has heard from her was June 2nd.  Since then,

• I've emailed to turn in an assignment
  • Completed everything possible on the two platforms for the class
  • Tried to get into her mandatory Zoom meeting on the 7th, on two different devices, but she never showed up for it (confirmed with other classmates)
  • Emailed about that, twice, once at the beginning of the meeting and once when I left the waiting room an hour later.
  • Emailed because there was an assignment listed but no way to complete it.

No work has been graded, no emails have been responded to. I have no idea her expectations because her syllabus was a bunch of crap (philosophy of class, weight of grades, sketch of what to expect for a weekly workload) and there has been no instruction.

According to the syllabus, 3 chapters' worth of work and a group presentation is due this week.  I can only access some features of the textbook because she hasn't unlocked them all for this next batch.  No clue how to prepare for the group presentation.  No way to do any of the actual work besides read and take notes in Word.

This is all due by Saturday, and I'm getting a little frustrated.  And it's apparently not a new thing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I'm taking a condensed communications class.  It's a month long, with a pretty hefty workload.  The professor got off to a good start by opening up the first week's assignments early, but the last anyone has heard from her was June 2nd.  Since then,

• I've emailed to turn in an assignment
  • Completed everything possible on the two platforms for the class
  • Tried to get into her mandatory Zoom meeting on the 7th, on two different devices, but she never showed up for it (confirmed with other classmates)
  • Emailed about that, twice, once at the beginning of the meeting and once when I left the waiting room an hour later.
  • Emailed because there was an assignment listed but no way to complete it.

No work has been graded, no emails have been responded to. I have no idea her expectations because her syllabus was a bunch of crap (philosophy of class, weight of grades, sketch of what to expect for a weekly workload) and there has been no instruction.

According to the syllabus, 3 chapters' worth of work and a group presentation is due this week.  I can only access some features of the textbook because she hasn't unlocked them all for this next batch.  No clue how to prepare for the group presentation.  No way to do any of the actual work besides read and take notes in Word.

This is all due by Saturday, and I'm getting a little frustrated.  And it's apparently not a new thing.

Wow. That sounds ridiculous 😞 . And this is a known problem?? How does she still have a teaching job?? 

• Like 2

As for us, I have a dentist's appointment on Wednesday I'm really not excited about 😕. Hoping it won't be too disruptive of our schooling stuff, but the last few (it's tooth implant stuff) were quite disruptive, so I don't have high hopes. 

Also, I'll probably have to tutor while looking like a chipmunk. Bleh. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Wow. That sounds ridiculous 😞 . And this is a known problem?? How does she still have a teaching job?? 

I'm not sure.  Nobody is able to find out info about what her deal is, but given the quick sleuthing I did, this is her third college in the area that she has taught at.  Reviews at the others centered around her picking on students during class time, so the ghosting us is a relatively new (4 years) aspect.

I'm going to take a minute and put in a plug for the children's literature class I'm taking.  The professor is on top of things, and he has so many good questions to facilitate the nerdy side of the subject and links to so many primary sources. It is a fabulous, fast paced take, and includes some projects I'm excited about. I am using that class as my reward for putting in a few hours of stress with the other class each day.

• Like 3

Morning. 

@HomeAgain:  so sorry to hear about the ghosting professor.  And very glad that your other class is so rewarding!

This week: engage, troubleshoot planning.  So I have a goal of figuring out how to best set goals.  😉 

Today's bucket list ... I may not get it all done.  This is part of my figuring out to be accountable. 

1. Most important: first things first.  Be adaptable if life re-arranges my priorities and hold myself accountable regardless. 
  2. RPG prep: prep for tonight's game (2 maps, couple handfuls of baddies, 2 or more traps, short notes on what's going on across the "world"); spend some time studying my system; spend some time working with my PCs (character sheets in PDF form, move on to spells, patrons, &c). 
  3. School: math, writing, Latin, reading, arts: some of each.  Elder can do much independently but needs me for math. 
  4. House: round of cleaning. 
  5. Garden: get some mulch down.
  6. Fitness: do boys' run + strength, some aerobics + strength for me. 
  7. ETA: birthday preparation!  Look over gifts, think about food & best way to celebrate. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Morning! I have returned. My brain is still sort of on vacation time, though. 

While I was away, my children found a kitten. Currently, Miss Trouble is running around my bedroom attacking anything that looks like it might play with her. She's already left teeth marks in my notebooks, so I'd say she's made herself right at home. 

Other than recovering from the drive yesterday, doing my revisions, and finishing out the laundry, I think the bulk of the day is probably going to be keeping this "thing" out of too much mischief.

• Like 3

Afternoon!

Update: This class is not going to be pleasant.  The professor lives in an alternate reality.  She showed up for the zoom meeting after having to respond to our complaints and proceeded to gaslight us on expectations.  I'm forging through the next few weeks and will deal with her directly as little as possible.

Today: it's been a busy day so far!  I still need to:

• put in a few hours of study
  • mow the front lawn
  • help the 11yo bake cookies, take down his tent, practice violin
  • laundry

But I have:

• mowed the back yard
  • prepped for tutoring tomorrow
  • gone to the store
  • had a budget meeting with dh

Tomorrow may be the last of baseball season (yay!) and then on to the next part of summer: camping.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Good morning! 

We ended up not taking down the tent yesterday.  DS decided he was going to sleep out there.  That lasted until 10pm, when he decided he just couldn't sleep due to the planes and the lights from the house and the dog next door and.....he came in, promptly fell asleep with his windows open and all the same sounds. 😄

On to today:

• Print papers for tutoring
  • Pick up dh from the car dealership
  • Tutor
  • Take down the tent
  • Laundry
  • Figure out dinner
  • Study (2 chapters' worth, one for each class)
  • Baseball game

And hopefully find a few hours in there for dh and I to have a 'date', meaning: put the 11yo to bed, open a bottle of wine, add a cheese plate, and beat him at Scrabble while we watch Hell's Kitchen.

• Like 2

Morning. The kitten sleeps well at night, but has decided she can't nap in her bed and needs to be touching me in order to sleep. So she's curled up on my desk with her head pillowed on my arm while I type and purring up a storm.

Today's goals:

House: chores, fix the kitten a larger cage for nighttime. She's way too small to be roaming around at night with no one watching her.

Gardens: container plants. I plan to get the tomatoes in the ground this weekend. It's overdue, but there was no getting out there to work due to the rain for most of May and early June.

School: none

Cooking: taco meat, tortillas

Writing: 2 chapters revisions for each story, Beta reading

Art: no idea yet. I have some sketches I need to make from my trip. I might do those.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 11:32 AM, HomeAgain said:

Update: This class is not going to be pleasant.  The professor lives in an alternate reality.  ...

Well, at least we have consistent story.  People that far off consensus reality sometimes have a convincing front & can get hired, especially by folks who want to believe them (ie, really need teachers).  Sorry you have to deal with this, and hoping that the class goes smoothly as possible. 

@Critterfixer-- kitten.   Kitten!  so adorable, so much trouble.  She's lucky to have found y'all.  I hope that you don't lose any more notebook-covers to the cause 😉  . 

I don't know what's with me today.  Oh I do.  DH and I had dinner on the sidewalk, outside a French cafe (as in: the server had a distinctly French accent!) for dinner, and there were some people from my former church nearby.  Wow, I thought I was over it.  Now I'm tearing up just typing this out.  Good grief. 

Now that I know what's going on, I can plan my day. 

We've gotten a start on things: chores, garden work, elder did his summer Latin class, younger read science & did a bit of music.  Today's stuff:

• My rebalancing: do some of my "ballet" fitness; do migraine prevention(123456);  2 rounds some house cleaning; work on my RPG for an hour if at all possible; work on boys' school plans; read something rewarding. 
  • Music: younger has online lesson tonight.  Practice, discuss working well with teacher, practice some more. 
  • Latin: elder, enter a chapter into Anki; younger, review + today's lesson.
  • Math for both boys.
  • Boys' fitness.
  •  breaded pork chops, salad, souffles, fresh veggies, berry fool for dinner. 

For tomorrow: incorporate Bible studies, art, and language arts. Also: super-early dentist appointment. 

• Like 1

Morning!  here at the dentist's while the boys get their teeth cleaned ...

I set this appointment up half a year ago, and it is like a flashback to a whole different time.  We're running our days later now, and generally things feel more chaotic ... it is weird to move back into the space of 7:30 dentist appointments so we can start school by 8:30.  Wow.  It's inspiring me to get things going. 

I'll pick up with things that slid off yesterday's agenda:

• RPG planning, including posting for help with my campaign, reviewing my system -- including memorized stuff, learn some new things about the thief class -- and working on recap of Monday's game. 
  • house cleaning (finish a "round" from yesterday)
  • work on boys' school plans 15-60"
  • do Latin review with younger
  • thaw pork chops for dinner; also get flesh off mangos to freeze for a quick "sorbet"

Then our priorities are

• music for younger, art for older
  • some Latin for everyone
  • math for everyone
  • Bible study (only got to this with older)
  • fitness for boys
  • migraine prevention, strength training, aerobics, some yoga including before-bed stretch for me

And that ought to keep us busy.  I have no idea what's for lunch today.  It'll be a surprise for somebody, then!  🙂 

Hope y'all have a lovely Friday. 

• Like 2

We finally put the tent away today!  And the kid made it through the whole night out there. 🙂

Today:

• car goes into the shop for maintenance
  • house cleaning
  • grocery shopping
  • make burgers to throw in the freezer
  • finish two units of school work
  • get some yard work done?  Hard to do with one car, but we'll get something completed.

Tomorrow should be relax day here.  Yay!

• Like 1