Jump to content

Menu

Job Interview, what questions to ask -Updated! Offered the Position!-


Moonhawk
 Share

Recommended Posts

Okay, so I got a call on Friday asking for an interview for a full-time position, close to where I live. This is a surprising turn of events: I had applied for it in May on a whim, and then when I didn't hear back after a few weeks I figured it had passed me by and frankly had been grateful I didn't have to make any tough decisions about it. 

So I've looked at a bunch of blogs/articles about questions to ask in your job interview. But few touch on how to discuss salary, benefits, etc. They are all about culture fit and expectations of the job, which are important, but I haven't been to a job interview in 15 years: do you not discuss salary until a second interview, or do you wait for them to bring it up? If they don't bring it up and then get to the, "And do you have any questions?" part, do I pretend I don't care about the pay and only about the wonderful opportunity to work for them? Then bring up that stuff on a second interview so as not to seem presumptuous? 

(Prayer request as well on this. I don't know if I actually want the job, it would be a big upheaval just when it seems things are getting back on track, but I don't want to close myself off to a good opportunity either.)

Edited by Moonhawk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the interviews my husband attended, the person he would be reporting to would either quote a ballpark or ask for a ballpark figure for pay. Since we are in a HCOL area, it is common for interviewees to ask for a ballpark figure of pay, bonus and health benefits in the first interview.  Interviews are like whole day affairs though as in my husband’s job interview was from 8am to 6pm and they paid for lunch as the office cafeteria. Now it’s done by Zoom but still whole day affairs with each peer interviewer taking about an hour. 
 

My husband did look at sites like Glassdoor and others to check pay range. However the actual pay negotiations come after the job offer. Negotiations were done with the HR and reporting boss/supervisor.

For my husband and I, if the reporting boss talks about pay at the first interview, we are likely to get a second interview and job offer. It’s like they don’t want to waste time with HR if they can’t afford your pay expectations. 
 

Good luck.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My dd just finished a job search, and all initial interviews were on the phone and salary discussions happened early on, definitely before any in person interviews. I think they mostly asked what she roughly wanted to make, and she would say, I'm making X now, and I'm looking to make in the X to Y range, depending on benefits. 

So, know your range before talking to them. what would make it worth it to you to complicate your life? You can get a lot of salary information from Glassdoor and similar sites, and the company obviously has a range in mind and they should not hesitate to disclose it. 

 If they haven't been forthcoming with the basics in the job posting or right when talking to you, I would absolutely ask in the first interview. What is the pay range for the position? Does your company offer benefits? Neither side should expect to go into a 2nd interview without knowing what the other side expects (roughly). Why waste anyone's time? 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Catwoman and @katilac

It is a full time position. The business would definitely suffer; I'd max get 2-4 hours on it a day plus the weekends. This isn't even looking at the homeschool side of the equation.

They have put a $10k range on the job posting; benefits are mentioned in the job listing. The bottom end of the range would be unacceptable, the top more in line with what I'd consider; but I am wondering if the top of the range is just to pull in prospects and the bottom of the range is more likely what they're expecting.

I've had a short informal phone interview, about 15-20 minutes, on Friday; towards the end of the phone call is when they asked if I could do the Monday official interview. It's a panel of 4-5 people, via Zoom.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you need to get the higher end of their salary range for the job to be worth it to you, I think you should be honest with them about that. 

Getting hired doesn’t matter if they won’t pay you enough money.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

@Catwoman and @katilac

It is a full time position. The business would definitely suffer; I'd max get 2-4 hours on it a day plus the weekends. This isn't even looking at the homeschool side of the equation.

They have put a $10k range on the job posting; benefits are mentioned in the job listing. The bottom end of the range would be unacceptable, the top more in line with what I'd consider; but I am wondering if the top of the range is just to pull in prospects and the bottom of the range is more likely what they're expecting.

I've had a short informal phone interview, about 15-20 minutes, on Friday; towards the end of the phone call is when they asked if I could do the Monday official interview. It's a panel of 4-5 people, via Zoom.

In this scenario, 100% bring it up. This is not the first interview, the phone interview was, and there is zero point in wasting anyone's time if y'all are 10k off on salary expectations. Bring it up when they ask if you have any questions, or if they talk about another interview, or bring it up if they start to end the session without asking if you have questions. It's a perfectly reasonable and business-like comment: "Just so you are aware, I would need to be at the upper end of your listed salary range in order to take the job, with the exact number depending on benefits." 

If you have someone's cell number or email, you can also include this in a follow-up if they keep all 5 people in there the whole time (and it doesn't seem appropriate to discuss salary in front of some of them). 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

@Catwoman and @katilac

It is a full time position. The business would definitely suffer; I'd max get 2-4 hours on it a day plus the weekends. This isn't even looking at the homeschool side of the equation.

They have put a $10k range on the job posting; benefits are mentioned in the job listing. The bottom end of the range would be unacceptable, the top more in line with what I'd consider; but I am wondering if the top of the range is just to pull in prospects and the bottom of the range is more likely what they're expecting.

I've had a short informal phone interview, about 15-20 minutes, on Friday; towards the end of the phone call is when they asked if I could do the Monday official interview. It's a panel of 4-5 people, via Zoom.

I think this will vary quite a bit by industry.  If a salary range was stated in the job posting and the interview is with a panel of people, I would not bring up salary unless it is mentioned first.  I have been in situations in which a panel of people who might be working with the individual participate in an interview.  People get to see how everyone might work together and all of those on the panel provide input as to strengths and weakenesses of candidates are who they think would be the best choice for the job.  However, these people often are unaware of the salary specifics and have no decision-making authority over salary.  There would be one or two people who are specifically involved in extending an offer and negotiating.  

If the interview process goes further, perhaps an in-person interview is requested, then if you know that you would not accept the job unless the salary is at least $x, I would mention it at that point.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the help! Monday went well, I got a call Tuesday morning asking me to come in for a final round interview.  That'll be next Monday afternoon, they told me it will take about 3 hours and gave me an itinerary for the afternoon. Any prayers appreciated.

 

 

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

Thanks for the help! Monday went well, I got a call Tuesday morning asking me to come in for a final round interview.  That'll be next Monday afternoon, they told me it will take about 3 hours and gave me an itinerary for the afternoon. Any prayers appreciated.

 

 

 

Sending prayers and lots of luck and good thoughts, too!!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moonhawk changed the title to Job Interview, what questions to ask -Updated-

So! Monday went well, formal interview, 3 hours. I crushed it, if I do say so myself. They called me about 15 minutes after I left and asked for 3 references, gave them on Tuesday afternoon. Today around 4pm they called with an offer. They are offering the highest $ that was on the $10k range on the listing, so yay! It's actually a government admin position so the benefits are top notch, too! 

Overall it seems like a great fit in terms of culture, personalities, etc. I'm overall very excited. I think. lol

Now I just need to tell DH that I applied for a position....and had 3 interviews....and got offered the job..... 

But anyway, yay!!!

  • Like 23
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moonhawk changed the title to Job Interview, what questions to ask -Updated! Offered the Position!-

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  🎉🍾🎊🎈 

I have to ask — why didn’t you tell your dh you were applying for the job? I never would have been able to keep that from my dh, and the idea that you did 3 interviews without telling makes me believe you must have the best poker face in the history of the world! Wow!!! 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DH is anxiety-prone, I didn't want to distract or worry him needlessly. I figured it didn't need to affect him unless I was actually offered. He is taking it kinda hard but agrees after looking at the details that this is a great opportunity that I can't pass up.

Homeschool is going to be much harder now but I looked at our local schools online last night and...yeah, no, it's just not a good fit. I'll do the prep for the next year over the next couple weeks; DH can supervise during the week and I'll do reviews on Saturdays (2 oldest are already semi-independent by choice, so it's really just M that needs active help). It won't be the breadth I would want but I'm confident they won't suffer on the core subjects.

Formally accepted this morning!! I asked for a start date of July 25th to close up my current employment on a good note and they accepted that date.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

DH is anxiety-prone, I didn't want to distract or worry him needlessly. I figured it didn't need to affect him unless I was actually offered. He is taking it kinda hard but agrees after looking at the details that this is a great opportunity that I can't pass up.

Homeschool is going to be much harder now but I looked at our local schools online last night and...yeah, no, it's just not a good fit. I'll do the prep for the next year over the next couple weeks; DH can supervise during the week and I'll do reviews on Saturdays (2 oldest are already semi-independent by choice, so it's really just M that needs active help). It won't be the breadth I would want but I'm confident they won't suffer on the core subjects.

Formally accepted this morning!! I asked for a start date of July 25th to close up my current employment on a good note and they accepted that date.

Yay!  I am glad you got it all figured out!  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m so happy for you!!! I’m glad your dh is ok with it. How do your kids feel about you going to work outside the home? They are so used to having you around that it will probably be quite an adjustment for them... unless Dad lets them get away with doing less schoolwork than you do. 😉 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...