Menu

Can't anything be easy right now? The answer is apparently, NO!

DawnM

I want the path of least resistance.  It never happens.   At least not right now.

1. Paint for dad's room

Choosing paint colors is doing me in.   Like majorly.   I don't have the time it takes to keep getting samples and putting them up on the wall.   They want paint colors by Tuesday.

Strongly considering going with the most popular.....main room Sea Salt, bathroom Agreeable Gray.   The end.   (funny story, DH said, "Hey, what about that non-offensive gray color you brought home?"   I said, "you mean agreeable gray?"   😅

I would prefer a Sea Salt that is more blue than green, but if I can't find one today.....Sea Salt it will be.

2. Summer School.

I signed up to be a counselor for summer school.   Elem. level.   On FRIDAY she told me she is "going to have to put me" in the classroom to teach a specials' class (elective).   She wants me to teach social emotional learning lessons.....K-5 every day.  

While I think SEL lessons are valuable, this now poses two issues.....one is that there will be NO counselor for when the kids need a counselor and two, I didn't want to have a classroom and teach.   Now I need a lesson plan for Monday.   I don't have one and frankly, right now I don't care.   This isn't right, isn't fair, and she is going to end up without a specials teacher or a counselor if I hate it and decide to walk on Tuesday.   

I have already contacted the higher ups in counseling to let them know and they said they are going to work on it.   I have expressed my concerns about no counselor in the building when every school was to have a designated counselor and now our school doesn't have one.   They agreed with me, so my guess is that this will be fixed, but it may take a while.   ARGH.

3. FS's birth mother

And, trial and stressful phone calls going on.   Foster child has a cut on his face from.......well, being 3!   She has loudly said that I am abusing him and she knows I am hitting him.   DSS was aware of the situation and I told them 2 doctors saw him and said he is fine.   DSS is NOT concerned.   It is just her usual crap.   But did she call the police on me?   I mean, if she really thinks there is something going on, call them!   But she thinks they are "in on it."   I would say more, but you get the gist.

4. Editing to add what an idiot I am.   A friend asked me to list something for sale for her.   Against my better judgement, I did it.   I have to learn to say no.   Why do people ask ME to do things they can do?   Help me learn to say NO!  It has stressed me out to get questions on it I can't answer, etc...

Edited by DawnM
  • Sad 27

I should not have signed up for summer school.   Bottom line.   I messed up.   But we just spent $8k getting a new heat pump for our house because the old one went out.   Money issues stress me out too.....so it was a toss up.

If I end up actually teaching, I plan to spend the $25 on Teachers Pay Teachers for what I need to make it easy.   

• Like 11

@DawnM Recently, I read an  article about the enormous number of students who will be in Summer School this year and the need for teachers for them. The article may have been about NC, in particular, but the USA in general. I think it was about NC, but am not positive.   That said, with what you wrote, I suggest you tell the powers that be that you are available to be a Counselor, if they can guarantee that you will be a Counselor during Summer School, and not reassigned to be a classroom teacher  and if not you have a full plate and are not available to teach in a classroom.

• Like 5

Well, check "paint selection" off your list. Those colors are lovely. 

The school thing sucks. Things like that are why I'll likely change professions when I return to the workforce. Teachers just don't get paid enough for the crap that schools shovel out. 

Prayers that the TPR goes through more quickly than expected. Dealing with FS's birth mother sounds exhausting. 

• Like 2

We used SW Reflection in our old upstairs and it was lovely. I'm going to attach two pictures that aren't great, but may give you a feel for the color. Behind the laundry basket, you can see where our painter missed, so you can see the difference between Reflection and the original white. (I did touch it up later!)

1690514087_ScreenShot2021-06-13at11_47_49AM.thumb.png.3fdcfadcfc6231bed04a8b68cb5b21b3.png2117353458_ScreenShot2021-06-13at11_47_32AM.thumb.png.9741c84359ef6bef819689651c81bce1.png1690514087_ScreenShot2021-06-13at11_47_49AM.thumb.png.3fdcfadcfc6231bed04a8b68cb5b21b3.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

I should not have signed up for summer school.   Bottom line.   I messed up.   But we just spent $8k getting a new heat pump for our house because the old one went out.   Money issues stress me out too.....so it was a toss up.

If I end up actually teaching, I plan to spend the $25 on Teachers Pay Teachers for what I need to make it easy.   

If they don’t straighten out the problem at school very quickly, maybe it’s a sign that you should take some time off to get your dad settled in and then spend the summer relaxing by the pool with your little guy. You spend so much time taking care of others, that maybe it’s time to take a little care of yourself. 

• Like 11

Decisions are hard. Doing is easier. Go with the selections you have and the relief of it being DONE and checked off “The List” is huge. Huge. 
Teachers Pay Teachers is a great idea. Why reinvent the wheel? Back when I had the mental energy and time to create things from scratch, I took a lot of pleasure in doing so. When things are hard? Reducing the workload is so important!

I think you need a fun night - Mexican takeout and margaritas all around! (((Hugs)))

• Like 5

I have been able to delegate a bit today.   DH is going to a store anyway, so I asked him to get a few things we need.

Son is driving by a Lowe's so I have asked him to stop and get a couple of paint samples.   

Meanwhile I gave my dad ALL of our Sun. dinner leftovers, so now I have to figure out some lunch for tomorrow.

• Like 5

Don't mess with paint samples,  just buy the paint and forget about it 😉

As for the class, that's a lot to throw on someone at the last minute.  If the TPT thing works, buy it, print it off and try to enjoy your day!

For the for sale thing- take it off wherever you posted and respond to any questions with "Please call xxxxx at 123-456-7890"  

When we are in a busy season, we have to learn to say no and be realistic about what we can and cannot manage.  Hire help, delegate to husband snd kids, and remember to take a few minutes for yourself!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

Don't mess with paint samples,  just buy the paint and forget about it 😉

Looks like I will have to.    He couldn't get a sample.   I think he misunderstood.   I think he just asked for those color samples and they weren't ready made so he walked out.....sigh.

As for the class, that's a lot to throw on someone at the last minute.  If the TPT thing works, buy it, print it off and try to enjoy your day!

I am going to hold off and hope they move me back into the counseling role.   But I may!

For the for sale thing- take it off wherever you posted and respond to any questions with "Please call xxxxx at 123-456-7890"  

I just put on there, "Selling for a friend, please text XXX number with any questions or to arrange pick up."   Thanks.   I won't make this mistake again.

When we are in a busy season, we have to learn to say no and be realistic about what we can and cannot manage.  Hire help, delegate to husband snd kids, and remember to take a few minutes for yourself!

🥰

• Like 4

Since I am on a "give me advice" kick.

A dear friend's daughter is getting married.    I would love to go.   However, I only have 2 weeks at the end of the summer to take off and the wedding is the weekend in between.   I want to keep it open to vacation or whatever.   I feel so bad saying no, but I also don't want to commit and then not attend.   AND, I am the only one invited.   No family.   It is a micro-wedding.

Can I send a nice gift and bow out?   I feel so bad but we have no other time for vacation.

• Like 4

Agreeable gray is nice and one that we considered but chose gray clouds for our exterior.

Summer school - you'll make the best decision.  Are they breaking standards to not have a counselor when other schools (did you say that?) have one.

Birth mother - people see/hear what they want to.  You have evidence on your side to the contrary when you took him to 2 drs.  

Posting - I ask my sister to post on her ND every now and then as we're on a different ND group.  In my post it will read, "Please contact Sheryl at ********.  Please do NOT contact Sue, my sister".  Or, something like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Can I send a nice gift and bow out?   I feel so bad but we have no other time for vacation.

Absolutely.  An invitation is not a summons.  Gift, heart felt card, good to go.  It's late covid anyway and JUST YOU invited with limited vacation at play? Don't think about it twice with the other stuff going on in your life.  Definitely don't RSVP yes if you're waffling/unsure about that weekend.  

• Like 8

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

Since I am on a "give me advice" kick.

A dear friend's daughter is getting married.    I would love to go.   However, I only have 2 weeks at the end of the summer to take off and the wedding is the weekend in between.   I want to keep it open to vacation or whatever.   I feel so bad saying no, but I also don't want to commit and then not attend.   AND, I am the only one invited.   No family.   It is a micro-wedding.

Definitely send the gift and bow out — and don’t feel guilty about it!

I would RSVP immediately, though, in case they have someone else they’d like to invite to fill your place at the wedding. If they are limiting the number of guests, they may have a standby list.

• Like 3

Definitely send the gift and bow out. Just did dd's wedding. I can assure you they are not tracking Who Cares Enough To Be Here. Rather, they are just trying to stay safe in covid and make sure they can pay the caterer and deal with the details. Your gift and your heartfelt note and eagerness to hear all about it later communicate the love you feel for them.