Menu

What color would you paint a laundry room?

happypamama

Ok, Hive!  Our original color is no longer available, and so I'm considering going in a completely different direction.

This will be a laundry room/bathroom combo.  It's not a very big room (he's a genius and has worked so hard to come up with just the right floor plan), so that's an important factor in the color decision.  There's a door from the kitchen (which is a sunny pastel-ish yellow) into the room.  On the right will be the washer and dryer; the room is not much wider than those two together, and it's about 16 feet long.  To the left will be a small utility closet with a 3/4 bath behind it.  So it's one room but kind of split into two sections, laundry and bath.  Appliances and cabinets are white, and the sink and fixtures will be chrome.  Trim will be white, most likely.  Tile is a light tan, I think.  The wall opposite the door is almost entirely windows.  So, there are not a lot of great expanses of wall, but my husband really doesn't want too dark.  Also, the house is 1830s, so while we've modernized it, we usually try to keep a classic sort of look, generally no ultramodern.

So, would you go not too light, not too dark on the walls, and keep the shelves above the washer/dryer and such bright white?  Or would you pick a neutral wall and go with pops of color for the shelves?  I won't go completely neutral for everything; there has to be some color somewhere.  Have some fun and tell me what you'd pick!  (PS -- I have looked at pinterest, but I haven't found just what I want yet.)

Edited by happypamama

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

Seafoam green. Sherwin Williams Sea Salt.

I second Sherman Williams Sea Salt. I used it in several rooms, love it, my contractors loved it and took note, too. I found it on Pinterest, so you could see it there for ideas of what it looks like in different rooms.

• Like 2

Sea salt has a lot of blue undertones and you are mentioning a lot of yellows.

If you want a period green color, I would look at SW 0015, gallery green. You need to search it to see what it does in your lighting and if it’s a good mix since we are just going off of your descriptions, but you could always move up the color chip.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, happypamama said:

Ok, Hive!  Our original color is no longer available, and so I'm considering going in a completely different direction.

I'm not sure if you mean paint or if you mean accessories but if it's paint, many places can still mix it for you.  My living room was painted with a color from Sears 18 years ago.  I went to our local hardware store and gave them the code number and brand(I couldn't remember the name but the code number was written on the cans and since Sears doesn't sell paint anymore I couldn't get them to do it) and then made me a perfect match.  All the ratios are stored in the computer not only for their own brands but many others as well so I would at least ask around.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Sea salt has a lot of blue undertones and you are mentioning a lot of yellows.

If you want a period green color, I would look at SW 0015, gallery green. You need to search it to see what it does in your lighting and if it’s a good mix since we are just going off of your descriptions, but you could always move up the color chip.

Sea salt is so weird.  In my house, it looks blue against black furniture, but if there is any hint of red around, like in my cherry furniture, it looks more green.

• Like 1