Menu

PSA about benzene contaminant found in random sunscreens

Indigo Blue

This was out a few weeks ago. I only heard about it yesterday. In case some didn’t hear about this, I thought I would post it here. It’s about randomly-tested sunscreens, done by an independent lab, that were found to be contaminated with trace amounts of benzene, a known carcinogen. The findings were neither brand-specific nor type (mineral vs. chemical, spray vs. cream, etc.) specific. 

There are three links in the article. One is for sunscreens that tested positive, one is for sunscreens that tested negative, and one is for proper disposal of contaminated sunscreen. 

The lists would easier to read if they were alphabetized. They are not, so you have to scan the entire thing to check for a particular one. 

https://www.dermatologytimes.com/view/carcinogen-found-in-multiple-sunscreens

I don’t remember seeing this posted or discussed here, so sorry if it already has been. I know contaminants can find their way into supply chains even with best practices. Still, I wonder was this a negligence problem, or was it an entirely unavoidable problem? This is weird because some brands had both negative and positive versions of sunscreen. Not to fearmonger, but it naturally makes me wonder what else is lurking in other products? This is just the question that logically makes sense to ask after reading the article. 

I like to think I’m careful enough with my choices, and I also like to think that that will make a difference. I hope, at least. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

Sigh.  I hate all these alerts.   We use stuff on the list that says it has it in them.  UGH.

I am wondering did they not test the stick sunscreens?  I don't see them on either list.  We use those all the times for faces. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Sigh.  I hate all these alerts.   We use stuff on the list that says it has it in them.  UGH.

I am wondering did they not test the stick sunscreens?  I don't see them on either list.  We use those all the times for faces. 

I trust Badger stick. I’m not telling you to, but I trust their products. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I trust Badger stick. I’m not telling you to, but I trust their products. 

We haven't tried their brand ever.  I have a few kids who have really sensitive skin.   One kid broke out in head to toe allergic reaction that ruined a vacation and was miserable for a days before we could figure it out.  Had to be put on heavy meds to deal with it.

15 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

We haven't tried their brand ever.  I have a few kids who have really sensitive skin.   One kid broke out in head to toe allergic reaction that ruined a vacation and was miserable for a days before we could figure it out.  Had to be put on heavy meds to deal with it.

Sorry that happened. Sometimes even  natural brands can cause reactions. Badger stick just has shea butter, beeswax, cocoa butter, zinc oxide…pretty basic. Maybe this would be a good choice, but you just never know. Random things make me break out in hives, so I choose simple things with few ingredients as much as possible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indigo Blue said:

Sorry that happened. Sometimes even  natural brands can cause reactions. Badger stick just has shea butter, beeswax, cocoa butter, zinc oxide…pretty basic. Maybe this would be a good choice, but you just never know. Random things make me break out in hives, so I choose simple things with few ingredients as much as possible.

Any good hints on where to buy it?   

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Any good hints on where to buy it?   

Well, this is the unscented one. I have no idea why Amazon is charging that much for one tube. If you live near Whole Foods or Sprout’s, they might have it. Maybe try Vitacost or something if you can get up enough of an order for free shipping. If you also buy a full size tube of Badger sunscreen, that might do it. Amazon does have other Badger sticks that have things like tangerine oil and such that are normal priced, but that might be irritating for sensitive skin. That’s why I’m linking the no fragrance or essential oils one. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085STZ3FD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_0XXS94WJMSAT556DV3GZ

It seems to be so hard to find the unscented versions of things. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Well, this is the unscented one. I have no idea why Amazon is charging that much for one tube. If you live near Whole Foods or Sprout’s, they might have it. Maybe try Vitacost or something if you can get up enough of an order for free shipping. If you also buy a full size tube of Badger sunscreen, that might do it. Amazon does have other Badger sticks that have things like tangerine oil and such that are normal priced, but that might be irritating for sensitive skin. That’s why I’m linking the no fragrance or essential oils one. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085STZ3FD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_0XXS94WJMSAT556DV3GZ

It seems to be so hard to find the unscented versions of things. 

Thanks.  It looks like Vitacost is my best option.  

• Like 1

Ugh…leaving for vacation at the beach tomorrow. For some strange reason, this year I purchased several different brands of sunscreen. For instance, our Kroger closed (moved to a new location) and had a 50% off sale on the last day. By the time I made it there, I found a few different brands and just purchased what they had. Anyway, I am packed and ready to go…now I’m wondering if I should unpack my sunscreen and see if they made the list?

6 hours ago, Just Kate said:

Ugh…leaving for vacation at the beach tomorrow. For some strange reason, this year I purchased several different brands of sunscreen. For instance, our Kroger closed (moved to a new location) and had a 50% off sale on the last day. By the time I made it there, I found a few different brands and just purchased what they had. Anyway, I am packed and ready to go…now I’m wondering if I should unpack my sunscreen and see if they made the list?

I think I would check. Maybe take the good list with you and stop at CVS and get something on the good list, at least until more information comes out. Hope you’re able to find what you need.