Menu

Finally attempting college at 42…UPDATE in first post

knittingmomof3

On 6/11/2021 at 9:30 PM, knittingmomof3 said:

UPDATE:

I took the plunge today and submitted my application to Thomas Edison State University (I’m a NJ resident). They have a ton of online degree paths. I’ve decided to just start ticking off the gen Ed requirements while I decide what to pursue. 

I’ve looked at financial aid, grants, and scholarships. Unfortunately I don’t qualify for anything. We are considered high income in much of the country but the area of NJ where we live is very high cost of living and we have 3 teenagers. So on paper we look wealthy. But in reality, we are not. 

Oh well. Walmart here is paying $17/hr for shelf stocking. I’ll just have to pay-as-I-go. 

Thank you all so much for you wonderful encouragement and feedback. 💜

Awesome!! Do still fill out FAFSA. I got a surprise state scholarship that I didn't even know existed. I'm in the same boat as you, high income in an extremely high COL area, which cancels out most aid. 

Congrats!!

16 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Awesome!! Do still fill out FAFSA. I got a surprise state scholarship that I didn't even know existed. I'm in the same boat as you, high income in an extremely high COL area, which cancels out most aid. 

Congrats!!

Thanks for the tip! I’ll try that! 💜

Congratulations.   I'm also in NJ and have three degrees from Thomas Edison.   I had a ton of credits from other places (took a lot of breaks over the years) and basically went there to finish up the credits I needed.    My local community college was where I went and did all my proctored exams since I'm not that close to Trenton.    They may even be offering online proctoring these days.   

I've worked for some major international corporations and my TESU degrees are looked at the same as any other state university (which it should be since it is a NJ state university).  

I don't know if you are considering loans but NJ has a few decent programs like the NJCLASS loans that have decent rates and terms.  

Good Luck!