Menu

Have your kitchen cabinets chipped?

Calizzy

We are remodeling our kitchen and I want black cabinets, but I'm afraid that they will chip. They will come from the factory painted black, not repainting our existing cabinets. So if you have colored cabinets (not wood) have they chipped?

I think in one house we had cheap cabinets made of MDF and the wood chipped, but I’ve never had factory paint chip.

I would not do black in a home because of resale values though. Maybe Navy.  If it’s your forever home do whatever you like.  

We have white cabinets.  They came painted and the one under the sink has chipped.   I’m a bit annoyed about it because they are not that old.   Further, the woman who lived here before us and put them in had no children and it was just her so I feel like with children using them there will be more chips in the future.    

I'm not worried about resale, I plan to live in this house for at least 15 more years. And anyways, I think they will look amazing and that future buyers WILL love them 😍 but I am worried about the chipping....

This is the look I'm going for

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 8.44.12 AM (2).png

• Like 3

I wound up choosing black cabinets, but I can’t review them yet, lol.

Through our builder, our option for black only came in stained wood, and our option for white only came in painted MDF.  The stained wood was actually cheaper (included) than the painted MDF ($1300 upgrade *before we requested additional cabinets.)

I wonder if stained wood would be a less expensive option in your case?

Our factory painted cabinets that are under the sink and counter have chipped badly. The top cabinets are in perfect condition. Our situation sounds similar to  @ealp2009 When we moved into the house (former residents didn’t have kids) the cabinets were newish and in great shape. They went downhill rapidly after we (with our kids) moved in.