Menu

Ok walk me through credit assignment in your state? How many credits is 1 semester of a regular high school class... how much for 1 semester of a DE class? 

In my states, 1 semester of regular high school class would be 1/2 credit. 1 semester of a 3 credit hour DE Course would be 1 credit. 

So 12 credit hours of CC credit would be 4 credits (the equivalent of four 1 semester 3 credit hour college classes )

So that sounds like 12 CC Credits would be 6 credits (1 credit per 2 CC Credit hours). I would assign that and put it in a "Tech Ed" category.

The important thing is really that you be consistent (especially when there is a dual enrollment transcript for some of it). 

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mom21 said:

Regular High School: one semester = 1 credit, two semesters/full year = 2 credits

Dual Credit: For every 2 credits taken at the college, the student will get 1 regular high school credit. For example, if a student takes a 3 credit ENG 101 class, they will get 1.5 regular high school credits toward their graduation requirements.

I would be sure this is correct, as most high schools seem to typically grant two semesters of HS credit for one semester of college classes. I think one regular one semester English class is not typically seen as equivalent to three semesters of HS, but two. I don’t see how 240 hrs of college work means the equivalent of 6 HS classes. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mom21 said:

Regular High School: one semester = 1 credit, two semesters/full year = 2 credits

Dual Credit: For every 2 credits taken at the college, the student will get 1 regular high school credit. For example, if a student takes a 3 credit ENG 101 class, they will get 1.5 regular high school credits toward their graduation requirements.

We might be in the same state. High school credits are counted weirdly as a credit per semester. So for the studio audience, double everything you are used to counting (unless you're in California).

IRL I have seen it done both 1 English DE = both 1.5 credits and 2.0 credits (a full year). For dd's transcript, mostly it is a 3 credit hour DE class is 1.5 high school credit, but a 4 credit hour DE is a full year (usually math and science).

I found the DE equivalents for our local district and there isn't any straight up formula. Easy business apps DE class gets 1 semester of high school credit (1 high school credit) but the math and science get a full year (2 high school credit), even though some are 3 credit hour classes and some are 4. The state gifted school counts DE through them as 1.5 credits per 3 DE credits, but that makes for some weird credit outcomes for things like 4 credit hour science classes and means the kids end up taking extra courses because they are short .75 credit in a science or some such thing.

So I would look at the content of the classes, if it they are higher output/ harder classes, I would give 4 full-year high school courses worth of credit (8). If they feel lighter or are heavily attendance-based, I would give 3 full-year high school credits (6).

Hope this helps.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 2

• Aloha2U changed the title to nm