Menu

If you're experienced with UTI's and home tests for them, chime in

Ali in OR

We're trying to test our disabled 24 yo dd who has been screaming and behaviorally off since March. We had to get seizures under control first and we are in the process of switching her to an adult neurologist (appointment June 24--I'll be asking about behavior issues then), but her primary care also suggested testing for a UTI. She's a wheelchair-bound diaper wearing non verbal person--a UTI is certainly within the realm of possibility. But our efforts to try to get a urine sample were traumatic for all of us and we never finished pursuing this path. Then I saw Quill's thread about the home test strips--never knew there were such a thing. And I found info on line about getting a sample from a diaper. We successfully got a sample by putting cotton balls in her diaper and squeezing urine onto the test strip yesterday morning. The first test was lightly positive for nitrites but not leukocytes, but that was the overnight diaper. I tested again 2 hours later and it was lightly positive for leukocytes but not nitrites--that felt like it was probably a more "real" sample. So I'm about to use the third and final test strip (and then go off to work, so this is a post-and-run. I'll check back later today). I'm just wondering how reliable any of this is. I'll probably chat with the medical assistant at her primary care doctor's office to see if we should follow up--want to see what today's test shows. Anyone have any feedback on their experience with these home tests? Is it weird that two tests would be completely opposite? We're trying to find a cause for change in behavior--lots of screaming, hitting herself, volatile moods. But not constantly upset. Thanks.

The strips are really only reliable if you have a clean catch sample but it's definitely something that I would still pursue. The strips are meant to be a quick screen to help decide whether or not to do a urine culture. Did you guys try bagging her to get the sample? 

When my special needs guy has UTIs (we've had so, so many), his seizures go up and he has other atypical signs. It's become something that we always check whenever he's a little off.

• Like 2

I still think this is a possibility with those symptoms. I would also consider it could be a candida infection; those seem to go alongside diaper use. 

• Like 1

What a beautiful mother you are!  

It sounds like you're not suspecting a UTI anymore, but I wanted to throw out an easy alternative to try sometime down the road if you find yourself wondering about a UTI.

I went through a period where I was getting UTI's frequently, and then I learned about a natural supplement called D-Mannose.  It is like a miracle supplement for me.  The majority of UTI's are caused by e-coli, and D-Mannose attacks e-coli.  The minute I feel uncomfortable, like I might have a UTI, I pop a D-Mannose pill and by the next day it's gone.  Now and then I'll take one in the morning and one at night, but generally one pill takes care of it.

I know others on this board have had the same experience.  I don't travel anywhere without it.  And if it's not a UTI, it doesn't hurt anything.  Anyway, just a thought.  (It WON'T help other types of bacterial UTI infections, only e-coli -- but that really is the source of the majority of them.)  I get the NOW brand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1