Menu

Protecting hair color while swimming?

Jenny in Florida

I have what is politely referred to as "fashion" color in my hair. (Okay, it's purple. This last time, with the work of the new stylist, it's very purple all over.) I just got our access card for the community pool and am excited to start swimming, but it occurs to me that the chlorine will kill that color. 

Other than resigning myself to either giving up on keeping the color for the summer or swimming with my head above water, other recommendations? Are swim caps a thing?

Leave in conditioner and a swim cap.  Swimming is a big part of my fitness routine.  That’s what I do and it works well.  I don’t have purple hair but I do have a color of highlights that would be faded out by chlorine that I spent way too much on a few months ago to see it get wrecked.  My hair stylist recommended it.   

When my son started swimming I read that the best way to protect hair was to get one's hair soaking wet with fresh water first (as a way to get the hair hydrated with non-pool water) and then to put on a cap.

Some sources suggested using a conditioner in addition to wetting hair prior to capping.

All I know.

Bill

• Like 1

Timely topic. I have been swimming at a small local college (open for community) for the past 2 months and noticed that I am in the minority when it comes to swim caps.  Most students and adults wear caps most times, and I concluded it must be because of hair coloring being so popular.  So I tried the swim cap (hair not colored, but protecting it) and I must not be doing something right because my hair was wet afterwards. So, I take it a cap doesn't fully protect?  That is why we need to hydrate hair first? Still not sure how this protects hair coloring...

• Like 1