Menu

Hey guys, wanna see the progress on my dad's room and an update?

DawnM

5 hours ago, KSera said:

It’s looking gorgeous! Did I miss what color you settled on for the walls?

I went with Sea Salt for the main room walls and Agreeable Gray for the bathroom walls.  

I was not really happy that the glass tile turned out green as the thin set behind the glass was green.  I thought they would use grout behind it to make it clear/white.    But I am not doing it over again, so the gray was supposed to tone it down.   I don't think it did.

• Like 1

I didn't know they were putting that weird shoe moulding at the base of the cabinets.....what color am I supposed to paint that?   I hate it, but it has to go there as the flooring looks awful without something covering the edges.

Dad won't care, so it doesn't have to go in right now, but it is going to make me nuts.

11 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I didn't know they were putting that weird shoe moulding at the base of the cabinets.....what color am I supposed to paint that?   I hate it, but it has to go there as the flooring looks awful without something covering the edges.

Dad won't care, so it doesn't have to go in right now, but it is going to make me nuts.

I would paint it a dark color, to match the cabinet color as closely as possible. 

Edited by Catwoman
One sentence, and still there is a typo!!!
  • Like 2

Contractor says he will be done by the end of the week with everything except the glass for the shower.   Dad will stay here starting this Thur as the people he is staying with will be out of town and Dad has finally realized he can't be alone overnight.   

He won't officially move in yet but we will have enough here for him to stay in his new place for a few nights.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Contractor says he will be done by the end of the week with everything except the glass for the shower.   Dad will stay here starting this Thur as the people he is staying with will be out of town and Dad has finally realized he can't be alone overnight.   

He won't officially move in yet but we will have enough here for him to stay in his new place for a few nights.

YAY!!!

• Like 1

The contractor should have matched the shoe/quarter round on the cabinets to match them. You’re right- it looks weird. 
I’m sure you’re relieved it’ll be ready enough for your dad to come this week!

I’ve never even heard of green thinset but thanks for mentioning your experience w the glass tiles. We’re starting to think about redoing a bathroom and it’s always good to know things to look out for. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Annie G said:

The contractor should have matched the shoe/quarter round on the cabinets to match them. You’re right- it looks weird. 
I’m sure you’re relieved it’ll be ready enough for your dad to come this week!

I’ve never even heard of green thinset but thanks for mentioning your experience w the glass tiles. We’re starting to think about redoing a bathroom and it’s always good to know things to look out for. 

I know, I had always seen a gray color and didn't even think about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippymamato3 said:

I really like it! Beautiful job! Where will his bed be in relation to the bathroom/kitchen?

He doesn't sleep in a bed and hasn't for a few years due to some health issues.   He sleeps on a recliner, so he will have 2 recliners in there, and usually if no one is coming over, he just leaves sheets, pillows, and blankets on one and sits on the other in the day.

On 6/27/2021 at 11:27 AM, DawnM said:

That moulding should match the cabinets.  You could, reasonably, ask the contractor to replace that with moulding that matches the cabinets more closely.  Or if you don't want to mess with that, just paint it a dark brown that is close.  Same for the moulding around the stair banister.  

It's a lovely space and exciting that it will be done soon!

Edited by Denise in IN
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Denise in IN said:

That moulding should match the cabinets.  You could, reasonably, ask the contractor to replace that with moulding that matches the cabinets more closely.  Or if you don't want to mess with that, just paint it a dark brown that is close.  Same for the moulding around the stair banister.  

It's a lovely space and exciting that it will be done soon!

The painter is coming back out after the exterior door is installed.  I am going to ask them to paint it.   I have some cabinet stuff to take to the paint store to match as we didn't put all the cabinets or trim back on (trim didn't fit with the new cabinet configuration) but I don't have any of the banister to take in.

On 6/27/2021 at 6:29 AM, DawnM said:

I went with Sea Salt for the main room walls and Agreeable Gray for the bathroom walls.  

I was not really happy that the glass tile turned out green as the thin set behind the glass was green.  I thought they would use grout behind it to make it clear/white.    But I am not doing it over again, so the gray was supposed to tone it down.   I don't think it did.

You’re right on the quarter round - that should have matched. But I will say, I love the green of it counts. I assumed you coordinated to be slightly darker to go with the Sea Salt. It looked very planned and it’s pretty if that’s any comfort. Looks great!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

You’re right on the quarter round - that should have matched. But I will say, I love the green of it counts. I assumed you coordinated to be slightly darker to go with the Sea Salt. It looked very planned and it’s pretty if that’s any comfort. Looks great!

my friend said the exact same thing when she saw it, she thought it complemented the sea salt color really well.   So, yeah, I am *that good*.  Let's go with that!  😝

I have talked to the contractor and the painter will fix the shoe moulding color.   Whew.

• Like 7

He is coming tonight.   Today's stay will just be a few items brought over, we will move the rest over the weekend.  

Today is our 26th anniversary, but we will have to celebrate tomorrow, too much going on today.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

He is coming tonight.   Today's stay will just be a few items brought over, we will move the rest over the weekend.  

Today is our 26th anniversary, but we will have to celebrate tomorrow, too much going on today.

Happy anniversary! Today is ours, as well! (21st)

• Like 2

I will not be posting new pictures, my dad is moving his desk in and I call it the "Marty Crane chair of desks!"

1942......"they just don't make them like this anymore!"

Nope dad, they don't, and there is a good reason!  🤣

• Haha 7

26 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I will not be posting new pictures, my dad is moving his desk in and I call it the "Marty Crane chair of desks!"

1942......"they just don't make them like this anymore!"

Nope dad, they don't, and there is a good reason!  🤣

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Now I want to see the desk. 😉 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mrskitty76 said:

Wow! That fireplace is stunning!!

It was hard to work around, and the contractor asked, "Are you sure you want to keep that?"   Um, do not touch the fireplace!   It is a great focal point and we like it.

• Haha 1

On 7/4/2021 at 11:20 PM, DawnM said:

It was hard to work around, and the contractor asked, "Are you sure you want to keep that?"   Um, do not touch the fireplace!   It is a great focal point and we like it.

Good move keeping the fireplace! It gives the room so much character.

Edited by Longtime Lurker
typo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I will take a picture of the desk in a little bit.   We got it in yesterday afternoon.

It looks like this:

29178_02_master.jpg

That is not bad at all!

How is your dad handling the move over to your house?  Is he happy with the work and how it all came together?

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 3:06 AM, DawnM said:

Editing because it won't let me add any new pictures without deleting some.

you might want to check your "photos".  You have a set file size, and you can't upload any until you make space in the folder (re: older pix).  I found that out the frustrating way when i couldn't add photos.

and each post will have a limit to how many you can add - but you can always do multiple posts to have more pix.  😜

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

you might want to check your "photos".  You have a set file size, and you can't upload any until you make space in the folder (re: older pix).  I found that out the frustrating way when i couldn't add photos.

and each post will have a limit to how many you can add - but you can always do multiple posts to have more pix.  😜

thanks.   I have done that now, but I hadn't at the time.   

Wait, what do you mean multiple posts allow more pictures?

Just now, DawnM said:

thanks.   I have done that now, but I hadn't at the time.   

Wait, what do you mean multiple posts allow more pictures?

Individual posts have a max MB limit for photos.  So, a new post will allow more pictures - as long as the file  itself isn't max'd out. (though linking to other sites for photos so it's not stored on WTM won't count against your max.)