Jump to content

Menu

Hey guys, wanna see the progress on my dad's room and an update?


DawnM
 Share

Recommended Posts

Editing because it won't let me add any new pictures without deleting some.

So, here is the update 6/26/21

 

thanks for the paint recommendations.   the entry way door will be a very dark brown/almost black trim, but mostly glass.

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_2511.jpeg

IMG_2512.jpeg

IMG_2513.jpeg

IMG_2514.jpeg

 

Believe it or not, the floor and shower wall tile is the same and from the same box.    The lighting makes it look like a different color.   

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The room is a blue with some gray tones......I would like to make it more gray with blue tones......any suggestions?   Or do you think keeping it the same color would be good?   

The bathroom will be a light gray/cream color as there are no windows in there and I want to brighten it up.

The floor will be a LVP that looks like a dull weathered gray/beige.   And you see the bathroom gray tile flooring in the picture.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • DawnM changed the title to Hey guys, wanna see the progress on my dad's room and an update? PAINT COLOR suggestions needed ASAP

It looks great. The blue is a nice restful masculine color. I’d show him a swatch of the current color, the gray you like, and a light green color like Sherwin Williams Sea Salt and let him choose the paint color. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's lovely. I find the grays to be soothing (sorry Jaybee). I would accent with various shades of navy and lighter blues, with maybe a large colorful fake plant or vase on the ledge. Our old house was painted a light "battleship blue" which is part gray and part blue; it was really pretty. It looks like a great place for him. I just lost my dad a year ago (July 1), so I appreciate the work and love you're putting into this.  

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't change a thing with the colors! Oh Dawn! It looks so nice! I love the privacy from the rest of the house and love the exterior entrance.  (Beautiful house, btw.)   He must feel so loved and so cared for.  The thoughtfulness you put into this is very obvious.  What a wonderful and  sweet thing this is. ❤️ 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

My dad is kind of color blind and doesn't care.   The room he is currently renting is pink with a purple bathroom.   They offered to paint it and he said not to do that just for him and he has been fine with it.    

All that to say, we are going to stick with painting it a color that will look nice and sell well.   If I give him options his answer to this kind of question, his answer is always, "Any can do."

He did have some opinions on the kitchen area/placement of cabinets, and wanting an entry door that is mostly windows (that white door is a temp placement and will be replaced with a front entry type door at the end.)

But paint colors, he doesn't really care about.   He likes the blue that is there.  I may just see about a blue that is one shade more gray????    I hear Benjamin Moore now has 12x12 paint swatches that you peel and stick to the wall.   I could get a few we like and let him choose, but I doubt he will have an opinion on it.

I tried (got samples and painted them on a drywall sheet) some of the recommendations for color that was in another thread on this board and wasn't overly excited about them in that space.    I know one was Agreeable Gray, which looks far more like a light beige/off white to me.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The place looks great!!!! Your dad must be getting excited!!!

Since your dad is kind of colorblind, I would pick a few options you like and then let him choose whichever color looks the most cheerful and bright to him. If he can pick the color on a dull, cloudy day or at night when the lighting isn’t great, that would be even better. The last thing you want is for the rooms to feel dull and depressing to him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

The place looks great!!!! Your dad must be getting excited!!!

Since your dad is kind of colorblind, I would pick a few options you like and then let him choose whichever color looks the most cheerful and bright to him. If he can pick the color on a dull, cloudy day or at night when the lighting isn’t great, that would be even better. The last thing you want is for the rooms to feel dull and depressing to him.

True, and he likes blue, so maybe we will just stick with the color that is there and maybe one shade more gray or something.   I am going to see if I can contact the previous owner and see if she remembers the color.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like a color called Smoke or Stardew. If you want more blue, check out Santorini. More gray? Look at Silver Lake. 
I Pinterest paint colors to decide. With that much light, you can do more saturated color and not have it be too dark. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

It looks like a color called Smoke or Stardew. If you want more blue, check out Santorini. More gray? Look at Silver Lake. 
I Pinterest paint colors to decide. With that much light, you can do more saturated color and not have it be too dark. 

I almost think it is Feather gray, but I am going to dig through the garage.   I got a response from the previous owner that there should be cans of it there with a label.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks great! As for the ledge, I’d do an artificial plant like a vine or something and maybe something to remember your mom or something he’d like. For instance, my dad always loved sailboats so we’d put one of the models he built there along with a plant and probably something of mom’s. 
 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dawn, I just had a fiasco finding the right blue Gray for my bathroom. Barely blue and very pale - Silver Mist. True blue but gray family, Sleepy Blue, but I did Brewster Gray on a shed at my house last summer and truly, it is my very favorite color ever. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For a light gray, look at Sherwin Williams Zircon. We have this in two bedrooms, and it reads as a light pearl gray in sunlight and barely bluish when in shadow. I think I said recently on another paint thread that it doesn't read blue to me, but today in my sons' room, it did, slightly. We have warm wooden doors and cabinetry (similar to the banister in your photo) but white baseboards and trim. Zircon reads well with both the white and wood tones.

I have a lot of different blue paint colors in my home, some chosen by the previous owners, and some by me. Some shades of blues and grays can be gloomy, so I was picky about choosing those that are light reflecting and sunny. On the back of SW color chips, there is a light meter number, and I paid attention to that. When I pick paint, I grab every chip possible in shades I am considering (dozens), and then narrow it down. One of the ways that I narrowed it for the gray rooms was by that light reflection value.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Found it, I think.   Benjamin Moore cc-816.   

 

Can they match it with a Behr or Valspar or Sherwin Williams?   I ask because they have closed the BM near me and now the closest is 14 miles in a direction I don't go (opposite from work.)

image.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, no one has been to the house to work on it for Fri, Mon, or Tue.

I was really hoping it would be finished by the end of June.   Now I am not sure.

ARGH!

 

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, DawnM said:

So, no one has been to the house to work on it for Fri, Mon, or Tue.

I was really hoping it would be finished by the end of June.   Now I am not sure.

ARGH!

 

So so typical.  They are probably finishing up a different job, that is also late because some tile did not come in as ordered…..or they decided to go to the lake for the week. 😂🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

So so typical.  They are probably finishing up a different job, that is also late because some tile did not come in as ordered…..or they decided to go to the lake for the week. 😂🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

That’s pretty unfair.  We have friends who are contractors. They must take on multiple jobs at once because of supplies, delays, “surprises,” weather (impeding outside jobs) and it’s built into their schedule to move around. 
Dawn, I hope it’s done too, especially since they misquoted a timeline. It wold not be unkind and very appropriate to ask for an updated timeline. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

So so typical.  They are probably finishing up a different job, that is also late because some tile did not come in as ordered…..or they decided to go to the lake for the week. 😂🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

But what is "typical"   Is typical doing it 10 weeks when you said 2-3?   We are on week 9.    I am guessing if they worked diligently it could get finished in a week, but now it is slowing to a snail's pace......a guy comes to do something on M-T-W of last week for about 3 hours each day and leaves.    

Is "typical" three times the time stated?   Four?   Five?    I always thought typical was double the time......we are now at triple, and it isn't done.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dawn, are you comfortable gently pushing? When our projects have drifted like yours has, we’ve found that the contractor is usually working for whoever is barking to get some attention. It’s a fine line, because you don’t want to make them mad. But yeah, I’d be on the phone each and every day asking for updates and becoming a thorn in their side. 
Sorry your progress has stalled- you can see the finish line but it’s not getting closer and I know that feeling...it’s really hard!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

That’s pretty unfair.  We have friends who are contractors. They must take on multiple jobs at once because of supplies, delays, “surprises,” weather (impeding outside jobs) and it’s built into their schedule to move around. 
Dawn, I hope it’s done too, especially since they misquoted a timeline. It wold not be unkind and very appropriate to ask for an updated timeline. 

Well, I did say OR.  That was a little tongue in cheek, but if you have never known a self employed person who is a little lax with their scheduling I don't know what to say.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

But what is "typical"   Is typical doing it 10 weeks when you said 2-3?   We are on week 9.    I am guessing if they worked diligently it could get finished in a week, but now it is slowing to a snail's pace......a guy comes to do something on M-T-W of last week for about 3 hours each day and leaves.    

Is "typical" three times the time stated?   Four?   Five?    I always thought typical was double the time......we are now at triple, and it isn't done.

A quote of 2-3 weeks was ridiculous for that amount of work.  I think 10 weeks is much more reasonable.  But I would be asking for a status update either way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

That’s pretty unfair.  We have friends who are contractors. They must take on multiple jobs at once because of supplies, delays, “surprises,” weather (impeding outside jobs) and it’s built into their schedule to move around. 
Dawn, I hope it’s done too, especially since they misquoted a timeline. It wold not be unkind and very appropriate to ask for an updated timeline. 

I read your post to me again, and maybe you thought I was saying something different than what I was.  But yes, I am agreeing with you that they take on multiple jobs and yes, they should have those jobs built into their schedule.  The problem with Dawn's job is they gave her a time of 3 weeks which would be near impossible.  And I was responding to her saying they had not shown up for 3 days straight.  That is most likely because they are finishing up some other job.

I am rather annoyed you calling me unfair when I am relaying my experience with contractors.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

I read your post to me again, and maybe you thought I was saying something different than what I was.  But yes, I am agreeing with you that they take on multiple jobs and yes, they should have those jobs built into their schedule.  The problem with Dawn's job is they gave her a time of 3 weeks which would be near impossible.  And I was responding to her saying they had not shown up for 3 days straight.  That is most likely because they are finishing up some other job.

I am rather annoyed you calling me unfair when I am relaying my experience with contractors.

I think the confusion is that  your comment about it being normal wasn't specific to not showing up for 3 days......I took it to mean that it was normal to take quadruple the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I think the confusion is that  your comment about it being normal wasn't specific to not showing up for 3 days......I took it to mean that it was normal to take quadruple the time.

Typical referred to just the overall frustration most people have with contractors.  And I have lots of friends who are contractors or who work in specific trades.  Some of the delays are unavoidable...weather, material, whatever.  But I see a fair amount of people who work on their own schedule who are not very disciplined.

And that doesn't even address why they told you such a short amount of time to start with.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Typical referred to just the overall frustration most people have with contractors.  And I have lots of friends who are contractors or who work in specific trades.  Some of the delays are unavoidable...weather, material, whatever.  But I see a fair amount of people who work on their own schedule who are not very disciplined.

And that doesn't even address why they told you such a short amount of time to start with.  

The weird thing is that my husband said, "This will take about 6-8 weeks right?"   He responded with, "Oh no, 2-3 weeks tops."

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not going to do this now, because it can be changed at any time and I don't want to pay the extra for it right now, but look at the ceiling, it is coffered,   I thought of painting the inside of each with a darker color than the walls for a dramatic effect.    Has anyone done that?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I am not going to do this now, because it can be changed at any time and I don't want to pay the extra for it right now, but look at the ceiling, it is coffered,   I thought of painting the inside of each with a darker color than the walls for a dramatic effect.    Has anyone done that?

I haven't but it sounds nice.  I love your ceilings…..such a great room.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will update pics when I get home.   It is coming along.   Walls are painted, kitchen area is almost finished.   Bathroom now is painted and has most of the shower and sink finished.   Flooring is in.

Finishing work:   Shower glass door and half walls, toilet installed, handicap railing put in, entryway door installed, plumbing for bathroom and kitchen, and then a few other final touches.   

I still HOPE it will be finished by the end of June.

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • DawnM changed the title to Hey guys, wanna see the progress on my dad's room and an update?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...