Menu

Covid Vaccine Card - bring it to college?

Kassia

If your student is vaccinated and not attending college locally, will you have them bring their vaccine card with them?  My dd attends college 1200 miles away.  She has a photo of her vaccine card on her phone and will upload it to her voluntary college registration vaccination report.  Does she need the physical card with her or is it okay to keep it home?  

I made a double sided photocopy of ours and laminated them, so we can carry them, but left the originals in the fireproof. The college also wanted it uploaded, and it is on the vaccination record as well. I figure that having a photo on the phone and a copy of the card should be enough. 

• Thanks 1

Mine got his vaccines at his college (1000 miles from home) and has always had his own card. Honestly, he's less likely to lose it than I am 😂 (I hold on to everyone else's in the family, because I'm the second least likely to lose them person).

39 minutes ago, 8filltheheart said:

Has your dd looked at her U's website for their return to campus policies?  My kids' Us are not requiring any vax info.  

Her university is not requiring, but requesting students report if they are vaccinated.  Once they do, they get benefits such as no random testing, no quarantine if exposed to someone with Covid, etc.  

1 minute ago, Kassia said:

Her university is not requiring, but requesting students report if they are vaccinated.  Once they do, they get benefits such as no random testing, no quarantine if exposed to someone with Covid, etc.  

She should contact them and ask if pictures on her phone will satisfy their reporting requirement.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kokotg said:

Mine got his vaccines at his college (1000 miles from home) and has always had his own card

This for my eldest. I suggested she just keep a photo on her phone. She's at another U this month for a program. They didn't ask for any info at all on vaccination status as far as I know.

• Like 1

My dh and I stapled ours to the inside of our passports.  We keep other official vaccination records there (that yellow international travel vaccine certificate) too.  Everyone in our family is used to guarding their passports with their lives 😁 so we figured that's a safe place.  

Otherwise, I keep a paper copy in my wallet, a digital copy on my computer, and my clinic has the info officially loaded on my patient chart.

I think most places that will be requiring it will probably only need a digital version, so as long as your dd has it on her computer or phone, I think that's probably enough.

• Like 2

What is on the back of the vaccine cards that everyone is taking pictures/making copies of the back of the card?

There is nothing on the back of our cards, except a Spanish version of the English side, which is the side that was filled out when we received our shots. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewnameC said:

What is on the back of the vaccine cards that everyone is taking pictures/making copies of the back of the card?

There is nothing on the back of our cards, except a Spanish version of the English side, which is the side that was filled out when we received our shots. 

Good question!  I was wondering the same thing.

The backs of our vaccine cards only have the date/time of the second appointment so I didn't bother taking a photo of them.  The three cards we have at home were all from different places and they all have the same info on the front/back (one from health dept., one from Rite Aid pharmacy, one from Walmart pharmacy).  

Edited by Kassia

I'd check your college for sure.  I think my kid can just upload a copy of his right to the health portal just like he did for other vaccination records and that will clear his building access.  I am leaning toward having him have a picture, making a 2 sided copy (we have a 2 sided printer at home) we can send.  And just filing it at home.  He isn't the most organized college student in the world with this kind of thing and it doesn't fit into a wallet nicely.  

@KassiaSince my first response, I have read several articles about what's going on with Proof of Vaccinations. Although there are some states making it illegal for universities to require vaccination (Arizona for one?) there are other places where they are requiring specific vaccinations to enter musicals (Springsteen in NY for example) and prohibiting AstraZeneca which not only doesn't have an EUA in the USA, but has not applied for an EUA.  Some Canadians who've had the AstraZeneca vaccine and wanted to attend the concert are unhappy about that.

I now suggest that your student has the Original of the document. But, before that, Photos of the document (both sides) in the Cell Phone of the student and in your cell phone and in your "Cloud" account(s).  OneDrive, Box, etc.  And then Laminate an excellent copy and keep it in a safe place.

The few Cadets at WestPoint who are not vaccinated are having a difficult time.

• Like 1